Cyclist against proposed speed limit reduction.

Old March 13th 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Cyclist against proposed speed limit reduction.

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
Old March 13th 09, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...
Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

S'funny how "50 miles per hour" can be considered "very low speed".

Old March 13th 09, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:59:06 -0000
"Simon Mason" wrote:

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

"As a highway and traffic engineer ... Upgrading them to dual
carriageways or motorways would reduce accidents significantly."
No surprises there then. :-\

Old March 13th 09, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote:

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

"As a highway and traffic engineer ... Upgrading them to dual
carriageways or motorways would reduce accidents significantly."
No surprises there then. :-\

Yeah, let's upgrade every country road into a motorway. Won't cost too much
seeing as we pay all this "road fund licence" anyway.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old March 13th 09, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

"AndyC" writes:

S'funny how "50 miles per hour" can be considered "very low speed".

Well, it's all relative innit. If you're driving a 737 it's about a
third of the speed necessary to get it off the ground. If you're
driving a lowered-suspension Vauxhall Nova the takeoff speed is lower
but it's rare that you can get enouygh altitude to avoid the hedge

-dan
Old March 13th 09, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

Oh I dunno .. I'm also a cyclist and I (from a cyclists point of view)
don't want limits lowered, for similar reasons to the letter you posted
a pic of. ISTM that when I'm on the bike, cars [1] pass very closely
when on slower streets and roads, when they have a higher speed they
generally pass further away, leaving me more space.

[1] Observational, empirical evidence only, it's my impression of what
happens.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old March 13th 09, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Simon Mason twisted the electrons to say:
Well I'll be blowed!
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

Well I can see an argument that if they lowered the speed limit on A
roads to 50mph, and enforced it with police and/or SPECS then there might
be a greater temptation to drive down B and/or unclassified roads.
Old March 13th 09, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Paul - xxx wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

Oh I dunno .. I'm also a cyclist and I (from a cyclists point of view)
don't want limits lowered, for similar reasons to the letter you
posted a pic of. ISTM that when I'm on the bike, cars [1] pass very
closely when on slower streets and roads, when they have a higher
speed they generally pass further away, leaving me more space.

[1] Observational, empirical evidence only, it's my impression of what
happens.

Should have added ..

As a driver the limits don't bother me at all, never have [1] really
and probably never will.

[1] Despite having, at one point maybe 7/8 years ago, 21 points on my
licence ... )

Old March 13th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

Oh I dunno .. I'm also a cyclist and I (from a cyclists point of view)
don't want limits lowered, for similar reasons to the letter you posted
a pic of. ISTM that when I'm on the bike, cars [1] pass very closely
when on slower streets and roads, when they have a higher speed they
generally pass further away, leaving me more space.

[1] Observational, empirical evidence only, it's my impression of what
happens.

Come to think of it, in the past 10 years and 50, 000 miles of cycling, I've
only been struck by a car twice. What I tend to do on certain roads when I
know a car is behind me is to check my rear pocket in an exaggerated way
with my right arm outstretched before I pat my back to see if my wallet and
sandwiches are still there. Once a car was so close I struck his door mirror
with my hand and that was when I was in a cycle lane.

The other one was when I was turning right into a main road and a old lady
came in from the left and cut the corner, I could have avoided her but I let
her hit me and them fell off theatrically. She said sorry and said she had
learned a lesson, which is what I had hoped would be the outcome of the
"collision".

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old March 13th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Paul - xxx wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

Well I'll be blowed!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zletter.jpg

Oh I dunno .. I'm also a cyclist and I (from a cyclists point of view)
don't want limits lowered, for similar reasons to the letter you
posted a pic of. ISTM that when I'm on the bike, cars [1] pass very
closely when on slower streets and roads, when they have a higher
speed they generally pass further away, leaving me more space.

[1] Observational, empirical evidence only, it's my impression of what
happens.

Should have added ..

As a driver the limits don't bother me at all, never have [1] really
and probably never will.

[1] Despite having, at one point maybe 7/8 years ago, 21 points on my
licence ... )

I had 3 points in 1979 on my motorbike for doing 34 in a 30 zone. Then in
1996 I got 3 points for doing 95.9 mph on the M62. Apparently, the copper
said if I had been clocked at 96.0 I'd have gone to court. Since then no
points and I've never had a parking ticket. In this country at least.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Speed-record double-reduction jack-shafts [email protected] Techniques 35 January 31st 08 08:15 AM
Hit-run cyclist (Chris Jongewaard) was over the limit PiledHigher Australia 1 February 20th 07 11:43 PM
Speed limit enforcement Eugenio Mastroviti UK 19 March 15th 05 08:15 AM
speed limit Andrew Whaley UK 37 December 5th 04 10:29 PM
Speed limit Brian Drury UK 48 June 28th 04 12:45 PM