Wear that closes off the Allen holes in SPD cleat-screws

Old July 7th 05, 04:21 AM
Dave Stallard

Default Wear that closes off the Allen holes in SPD cleat-screws

I use SPD mountain-type pedals on my road bike, with Sidi mtb shoes (I
think the Dominator is the model name). the cleat scrapes a bit while
walking, and hence there is some wear on them of course. I've noticed,
however, that the pushed/bent layer of metal has actually closed off the
Allen-key openings in the cleat screws. It hasn't closed them
completely, just narrowed the aperture, but of course, the Allen key
(aka hex) can't get in there anymore.

Anybody noticed the same thing? And have a suggestion of what to do
about it? FWIW, my old Shimano shoes didn't have this problem, perhaps
because the cleat was more effectively recessed in the sole. But they
were too narrow for my feet. I like the fit of the Sidis for my wide,
messed-up feet.

Dave
Old July 7th 05, 05:02 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Dave Stallard" wrote: (clip) And have a suggestion of what to do about
it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dremel. You could possibly wind up, after time, with Allen sockets that are
so worn that you can't remove the cleats. But, chances are that as the wear
progresses, the screw heads will stop hitting so hard, and you'll be OK.
Don't let it go so far that you can't get the screws out.

Old July 7th 05, 05:43 AM
Bill Sornson

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Dave Stallard" wrote: (clip) And have a suggestion of what to do about
it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dremel. You could possibly wind up, after time, with Allen sockets
that are so worn that you can't remove the cleats. But, chances are
that as the wear progresses, the screw heads will stop hitting so
hard, and you'll be OK. Don't let it go so far that you can't get the
screws out.

I've had to take my mtb shoes over to a friend's house to have the cleats
drilled out more than a few times. (Eggbeater AND SPD cleats, BTW.)

I tend to over-tighten stuff; and the ground in San Diego is as hard as
concrete once it's embedded in those rounded-out holes I tend to create...

Bill "head hangs in minor shame" S.

Old July 7th 05, 03:17 PM

Try a screw extractor- basically a bit that screws itself into the worn
or broken bolt (with reverse threads) so you can loosen it.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/extractr.html

Old July 7th 05, 07:25 PM

Dave Stallard wrote:

Anybody noticed the same thing? And have a suggestion of what to do
about it?

Well, if you need to adjust the cleat position, you could cut a slot
across bolts with dremel abrasive cut off wheel for a big screw driver
or use what is left of hex hole to pilot a drill bit and drill heads
off. The heads are usually very hard and don't drill easy. If they
do drill easy, those were lousy FHSC's. I've had problems where shoe
sweat rusted things so bad that good hex recesses didn't help.

New screws are cheap, I'd spring for stainless if you ever replace
them.

If things are still working, I'd not worry about it until the shoes
wear out.

Wes
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Old July 7th 05, 11:22 PM

Yeah, but who cares?

When the cleats are new and you're still tweaking the position, the hex
key fits fine. Once you've finalized the position and torqued them down
nice and snug, you're good for a few years. If the cleats wear out but
the shoes are still good (and your girlfriend still allows them in the
house) you can just grind 'em off - both screws and cleat are junk
anyway.

A grinder cut-off wheel (or a Dremel equivilent) can cut a slot in the
screw head pretty fast.

Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM
A problem with gears. Donny UK 105 December 22nd 04 10:10 AM
RoadBikeRider newsletter on tire wear Matt O'Toole Techniques 2 June 11th 04 12:08 AM
Allen Key brake calipers on frame with holes for nutted brake calipers MSeries Techniques 4 June 9th 04 08:00 PM