published helmet research - not troll

Old July 5th 04, 08:11 PM
Tom Kunich

Default published helmet research - not troll

"Dan Becker" wrote in message

And -- a cracked helmet. I credit some of my great good luck and
fortune to the fact that as a youth I had taken tumbling classes.

Dan what are the chances that had you not been wearing a helmet that your
head would have missed the ground since cracking indicates only a slight
grazing?

Old July 5th 04, 08:13 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:47:22 GMT, (Bill Z.)
wrote in message :

The shape doesn't matter. All the matters in the position of the
center of mass relative to where the front tire touches the ground.

Correct. So look at it, and then explain why none of the people
around here who ride tandem (including solo) agree with you. You are
posting from ignorance, we are posting from experience.

I believe the reason the rear wheel doesn't lift is that it's close to
impossible to get enough friction at the front wheel contact patch.
But I'm not the one arguing that you can lift the rear wheel on a
tandem ridden solo, because I have never managed to achieve that
singular feat.

I've done it repeatedly on a mountain bike (at a speed too low to
flip)

But not a tandem.

and that also has an extended wheel base. If you brake slightly
with the rear wheel while riding at a reasonable speed, however,
you'll feel like you are skiding due to the rear tire, and you'll feel
a sort of vibration of swishing through the handlebars, even though
the front tire is not skidding.

Pointless. I know what it feels like when you brake incorrectly. I
also know what it feels like when you brake hard on a tandem ridden
solo, which you have apparently never done.

When you are in a hole, STOP DIGGING.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 5th 04, 08:17 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Bill Z. wrote:

What I find even more curious is that a short, obscure paper written
by three guys is the only thing that ever gets mentioned by the
anti-helmet camp,

That's because it's pretty much the only statistic quoted by the anti-choice
camp. Or if it isn't, what other study shows this "85%" figure that I keep
seeing?

The "anti-helmet" camp, as you call it, also frequently mentions a number
of other studies, e.g. New Zealand & Australia.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
Old July 5th 04, 08:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 03:16:55 GMT, Dan Becker
wrote in message :

a cracked helmet.

Bugger innit? They will keep on failing. You do know they aren't
supposed to break don't you? The polystyrene is supposed to squash;
polystyrene foam absorbs almost no energy in brittle failure.

I was hit from the side by a car which accelerated hard into me on the
approach to a roundabout. My protective headgear[1] survived
unscathed, and I still wear it.

[1] A knitted acrylic balaclava.

Old July 5th 04, 08:25 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:32:50 GMT, "Tom Kunich"
wrote in message
. net:

The most telling part of that study is what Thompson and Rivara had to say
to Ms. Robinson concerning it. They made it pretty plain that they were
producing positive articles for their sponsor - Bell.

You have a reference for that?