Carbon Nanotube Bike Frame

Old April 2nd 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default " EXTRA" TERRESTRIALS - How many were already there?

try Turtle Mound Road, Canavarel National Seashore or Smyrna beach, FL

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=smyrna...=17&iwloc=addr

that's one of those damn google map hyperlinks.

the road ends in a culdesac on a shell mound. a realtively un-quarried
mound

further south where I live, same Indians maybe died from smallpox.
Black settlers after civil war but a hurricane wiped the barrier
island clean. 20 years ago, Cocoa was a village.
Old April 3rd 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default EXTRA TERRESTRIALS LAND AT KENNEDY SPACE CENTER

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
On Apr 2, 1:26 am, Werehatrack wrote:
My newsreader's column breaks turned the subject line into "EXTRA
TERRESTRIALS LAND AT KENNEDY SPA", which was ever so much more amusing
than the full one.

God lives here

Dog lives below me.

Old April 3rd 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Tom, move to SF before its too late.
I was speaking of the weather. The weather is excellent beyond
comprehension. I live in the back. every walk out is omigod whatta
beautiful day. then ride out into the wide open spaces and WOW
it's really unbelievable.
The beach path goes down a lane of Madagascar palms and roses of
Sharon(?) into a Laotze tunnel of brazilian pepper. When in the tunnel
the Atlantic appears as a flash.
Today the Gulf stream was in first time this year with sargassum,
rolling 6-7 footers, and ? 72 water.
Our beach is 300' wide, all 4' above hi tide line.
INCROYABLE !

Old April 3rd 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default Carbon Nanotube Bike Frame

Frank W. Marrs III wrote:
i'm a soon-to-be Ga. Tech graduate with some experience with aerospace
grade composites, which some bikes (like the BMCs) are certainly
comparable to, while others are not. also, i'd like to note that Easton
and BMC have been pushing this technology for at least three years.

carbon nanotubes are exciting because lab-grade materials have produced
unprecedented yield strengths. however, actual production of the
material for manufacturing purposes has proven difficult (anyone
remember the space elevator?). thus, carbon fibers are still utilized
as load-carrying members in the composite. my understanding of the
easton material is that the nanotubes disrupt crack propagation in the
matrix, improving the material's toughness. since none of the nanotubes
are aligned in one particular direction and all are significantly
shorter than the reinforcing fibers, it is unlikely that they improve
the strength of the material significantly. also, it is typical (in
almost all materials) that improved toughness means lower strength and
stiffness values. so, it is possible that the easton material is the
same strength or even weaker than other carbon fiber composites. the
BMC frames *are* a little heavier than some other high-end full carbon
frames...

as far as fatigue goes, composites in general are typically superior
metals. fatigue of the carbon material is not an issue; it is one of
its strengths. however, many carbon frames have joints and other bonds
(e.g. bottom bracket shells). these are the areas of concern for
fatigue. however, the bonds at these key locations are a function of
the manufacturing process. in other words, fatigue of carbon bicycles
is a result of how they're put together, not the material itself. the
material concerns with carbon fiber (esp. as compared to metals) are
impact strength -- since the tubes are weak through the thickness -- and
other failure modes, like delamination, absorption of moisture, UV
degredation, etc. i don't know how companies address these issues, but
the carbon bikes seem to have become much more reliable in these
respects. BMC appears to have addressed the crash-worthiness of their
bikes in improving toughness of the composite used, although i doubt
most buyers are going to see it this way. i think it's mostly a
marketing ploy to get people to buy their high-end carbon bike over
another company's.

frank

heretic. this is r.b.t. on r.b.t, technology is only taken on faith -
carbon is evil and steel is good. death to all who dare trying to
introduce polluting facts to a forum that may undermine the bleatings of
the opinionated [but underinformed].

bicycle_disciple wrote:
Hi,

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008...echnology.html

Experts in the materials science field are welcome to discuss the
advantages of this material. Btw, if you aren't interested in opening
the link, thats fine but keep unnecessary comments to yourself.

Ron
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com

Old April 3rd 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:00:17 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
may have said:

Tom, move to SF before its too late.
I was speaking of the weather. The weather is excellent beyond
comprehension. I live in the back. every walk out is omigod whatta
beautiful day. then ride out into the wide open spaces and WOW
it's really unbelievable.
The beach path goes down a lane of Madagascar palms and roses of
Sharon(?) into a Laotze tunnel of brazilian pepper. When in the tunnel
the Atlantic appears as a flash.
Today the Gulf stream was in first time this year with sargassum,
rolling 6-7 footers, and ? 72 water.
Our beach is 300' wide, all 4' above hi tide line.
INCROYABLE !

You must mean San Francisco. I grew up in South Florida, and I
wouldn't go back there for Donald Trump's net worth as a monthly
salary. I moved to Houston for the cool, dry climate, the marvelous
change of seasons, the fact that there's some terrain (instead of a
dead flat sodden swamp) and the relatively civilized and free-flowing
traffic patterns. By comparison to Miami, Houston has all of those
advantages and more. Oh, and lower taxes, and more affordable
housing, and better property value retention in a recession...

Old April 3rd 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote:

heretic. this is r.b.t. on r.b.t, technology is only taken on faith -
carbon is evil and steel is good. death to all who dare trying to
introduce polluting facts to a forum that may undermine the bleatings of
the opinionated [but underinformed].

butbutbut, does it not take carbon to turn iron into steel?

Old April 3rd 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
Tom, move to SF before its too late.

And miss the wonderful snow/salt slush and resulting potholes?

Besides, it is not that bad here - RBT regulars Andrew Muzi and Jay
Bollyn ride their bicycles to work all year around.

I was speaking of the weather. The weather is excellent beyond
comprehension. I live in the back. every walk out is omigod whatta
beautiful day. then ride out into the wide open spaces and WOW
it's really unbelievable.

But did you get 40-cm of snow on the first day of spring?

The beach path goes down a lane of Madagascar palms and roses of
Sharon(?) into a Laotze tunnel of brazilian pepper. When in the tunnel
the Atlantic appears as a flash.
Today the Gulf stream was in first time this year with sargassum,
rolling 6-7 footers, and ? 72 water.
Our beach is 300' wide, all 4' above hi tide line.
INCROYABLE !

I can usually have the local beach to myself (except for the gulls) from
October through April. Can you say that for Florida?

Old April 4th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

taste level? Fla has the highest crime rate and lowest level of
intelligence. Ehile this area is Mayberry, spell that Maybury. NASA
doesn't run the place the mob does. So mush so iznot out of line to
write the mob rums NASA facility. I am surroundead by aggressive peter
principled prostitute nincompoops 24 hours a day.
This afternoon while working om muh truck, I had to fight off weirdos
and whores 6-7 times in 3 hours. IN A GATED COMMUNITY.
pass the dry wall powder - I'll pour it on the grass.

that's why the ET wera looking for JB.
Old April 4th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

news

--

Yeah, that sure is Houston alright! LoL...
$7,000 electric bills and bayou rot everywhere. Nothing like doing the crits

Bruce