REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

Old April 3rd 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

On Apr 2, 9:40 pm, datakoll wrote:
my bike cost $50. I got it caws the shop knew I 'd take care of it.
You prob don't know how to so it's better ruining a Radonee before
tackling a finely tuned sports machione like a LeMond. The Rad will
give better service while learning.

Oh no doubt. I never thought about that aspect but you are right.
Old April 3rd 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

i wuz speaking with a shop mechanic about chain lube when he offered
an opinion on it.
He said 7/8 of 10 bikes sold new were component trashed during the
first year by owners neglect, supidity, general lack of knowledge,
ignorance. I don't know but assume the wear factor goes up as price
when weight goes down.

not that components aren't replaceable but what effectively happens is
efficiency decreases gear by gear, lateral force potential, ...

countering efficiency loss toward improving or maintaining efficiency
is the idea.
Old April 3rd 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Woland99 wrote:

I presume you took advantage of 20% off - so now you can ride it
for a few week and test ride LHT too.

Yep that's what I did... got 20 percent of deal
Old April 3rd 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Woland99 wrote:

I like my Randonee a lot and ride it every chance

What year did you buy yours? how old is it?

Just curious