I Got Beacons

Old April 16th 14, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default I Got Beacons

I forget to to alert Frank: I now have road flashers -- or in Portland-speak, "bicycle beacons." Be jealous.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/New-b...?tab=video&c=y

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...acons_wil.html

The bad news is that the sensor loops are too far to the right and too close to the bridges. I like getting out sooner.

I love the hysteria -- a "harrowing commute." I rode that route for 10-15 years with nothing more than a fog line. I like my bike lane, though, so I'm not going to complain.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 16th 14, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

jbeattie writes:

I forget to to alert Frank: I now have road flashers -- or in Portland-speak, "bicycle beacons." Be jealous.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/New-b...?tab=video&c=y

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...acons_wil.html

The bad news is that the sensor loops are too far to the right and too close to the bridges. I like getting out sooner.

I love the hysteria -- a "harrowing commute." I rode that route for 10-15 years with nothing more than a fog line. I like my bike lane, though, so I'm not going to complain.

What's with the "Bike lane closed ahead" sign being off the roadway?
Shouldn't it be placed in the middle of the car lane? Around here,
whenever a "Lane closed ahead" sign appears, it always goes in the bike
lane 8-).

--
Joe Riel
Old April 16th 14, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/16/2014 10:35 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I forget to to alert Frank: I now have road flashers -- or in Portland-speak, "bicycle beacons." Be jealous.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/New-b...?tab=video&c=y

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...acons_wil.html

The bad news is that the sensor loops are too far to the right and too close to the bridges. I like getting out sooner.

I love the hysteria -- a "harrowing commute." I rode that route for 10-15 years with nothing more than a fog line. I like my bike lane, though, so I'm not going to complain.

It'll be interesting to see how the flashers work out. Do you still
ride that route? Give us your impressions if you do.

There certainly are roads that are less than pleasant for cycling.
While I never rode SW Barbur, it looks like it could fit that
description. Widening the bridges would help greatly, but that's an
expensive proposition.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 16th 14, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://goo.gl/56SgtG

TX boasts 2 laners thru strip mall country at 60-70 mph.
Old April 16th 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:01:05 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I ride it on most mornings, although I go through the hills sometimes. I usually take a different route home unless I'm in a hurry.

The bridges are a pinch point and a place where I take more of the lane. The real problem, though, is that after the snow and rain, they are really rutted -- and rutted worst near the center, or at least where I usually ride about a third of the way out. Now I have to get way out to avoid the ruts or ride near the curb, which does invite close passing by some (buses mainly). So, I feel a little better riding lane center with the flashers, but I would feel even better if the pavement were fixed. All in all, I have had only rare problems going over the bridges in the last 30 years, but being that I am a precious bicyclist -- like a rare spotted owl or naked mole rat -- I appreciate the enhanced protection.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 17th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

JAY....the bridges have no pedestrian walkways use able for bicycling or walk thru bicycling ? The rider is forced to ride in traffic ?

How's this work when the sun's setting ?

where's Portland bike karma ?

Old April 17th 14, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:15:44 PM UTC-7, x wrote:
JAY....the bridges have no pedestrian walkways use able for bicycling or walk thru bicycling ? The rider is forced to ride in traffic ?

How's this work when the sun's setting ?

where's Portland bike karma ?

You could take the walkway, but it's like threading a needle. You can usually take the lane. And if you have a swarm of cyclists, the whole lane. http://tinyurl.com/nrdm4dm (some sort of make-a-point ride).

Traffic can be bad during rush hour because Barbur is an alternate to HWY 5, but in off peak times, it is just a moderately busy arterial with mostly local traffic. The posted limit is 45mph, but 55mph is typical. Yahoos can hit the bridges going pretty fast. Local news likes to portray it as a scary hell hole, but it's not that bad. One guy got hit a while back and another got killed. Both were in the bike lane and not on the bridges, but that was enough to pique the interest of the local advocates, news channels, Chicken-Littles, etc. Something needs to be done! Let's put on a show! http://tinyurl.com/nok9uzw

Somewhat more OT, I went to all the recent tent and warehouse sales at the LBSs and eves-dropped on the youngsters, which isn't hard because they like to yell about their exploits. I was really surprised at all the complaining about traffic and how scary it was to ride here or there. You would think they were talking about base-jumping and not commuting. These guys and gals appeared fit and looked the part of serious cyclists, but they sounded like a bunch of old ladies, and not Frank's old ladies who take the lane in defiance of cars, trucks, buses . . . Herkimer battle jitneys.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 17th 14, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikepo...n/photostream/

riding here...

strip mall riding is difficult..eventually you get hit. best going around.

kids gravitate to 'base jumping'....too much coffee yakyakyak...they're trying to impress.

when itsnot raining looks like rain

grouped with a large box looks safe !
Old April 17th 14, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a good law

ALL CYCLE GROUPS OVER 6 IN NUMBER WILL BE ACCOMPANOED BY A LARGE BOX
Old April 17th 14, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:38:11 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
a good law

ALL CYCLE GROUPS OVER 6 IN NUMBER WILL BE ACCOMPANOED BY A LARGE BOX

box filled with birds found near Mt Tabor ?

RR: Brecon Beacons Brevet Andy Cox UK 2 October 10th 06 08:55 AM
Brecon Beacons Brevet 100Km 8/10/06 Andy Cox UK 4 October 7th 06 04:35 PM
Routes in Brecon Beacons Andrew Richardson UK 7 March 28th 04 07:34 PM
Slightly OT, Belisha beacons martin UK 40 October 4th 03 07:53 PM