26" touring tire recommendation

Old April 21st 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone

Default 26" touring tire recommendation

It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly
for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the
summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel
roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of
tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker and
the Slickasaurus. I don't really want to give up any rolling
resistance, but I wouldn't mind more puncture protection. I can
probably go up to a 26 x 2 before clearance becomes an issue. Any
recommendations (especially on differentiating the 9 different subtypes
of Schwalbe Marathons)?
Old April 21st 14, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=781

go Conti....Schwalbe's cut too much friction. Schwal's sell thru over feel from overwhelm from overdesign from you too much...some people enjoy this like their nervous systems need over stimulation to feel anything...

on the other foot Conti carry you along with too little but enough as long as you run within specs.
Old April 21st 14, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=781

80 pounds, minor wet sipes, lugs on sides if you sink in but a negative if your careen down the canyon...steel hoops. guess UC sold the kelvar hoops.

op for a larger front than rear...lug sides on rear....different model on front..maybe a nice ROUND carcass with sipes.

get you in quick but let you know what from the rear.

gotta big LBS wth a major tire wall ?

get medical n go in for a buy.
Old April 22nd 14, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=781

80 pounds, minor wet sipes, lugs on sides if you sink in but a negative
if your careen down the canyon...steel hoops. guess UC sold the kelvar hoops.

op for a larger front than rear...lug sides on rear....different model on
front..maybe a nice ROUND carcass with sipes.

get you in quick but let you know what from the rear.

gotta big LBS wth a major tire wall ?

get medical n go in for a buy.

Thanks Gene. I'll add the Conti Travel Contact to the list.
Old April 22nd 14, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, April 21, 2014 11:16:16 PM UTC+1, Ralph Barone wrote:
It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my

Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly

for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the

summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel

roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of

tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker and

the Slickasaurus. I don't really want to give up any rolling

resistance, but I wouldn't mind more puncture protection. I can

probably go up to a 26 x 2 before clearance becomes an issue. Any

recommendations (especially on differentiating the 9 different subtypes

of Schwalbe Marathons)?

I usually hang out with tourers, so I'm biased by their opinions.

If you don't mind patching the odd flat, until recently the Pasela was thought to be a comfortable fast tyre at a bit narrower than you want to go.

At present, the Marathon Dureme is *the* touring tyre from Schwalbe. It is pretty bulletproof and people get most satisfactory mileages out of them. The Dureme is a great all rounder, about as far as you can go from its cousin the Marathon Plus, which is supremely flat proof and also lasts forever, but is harsh riding (I have a 10% worn pair hanging on a wall).

Myself, I ride the Big Apple Liteskin (with the Type 19A extraleicht "racing" tubes) in the biggest size made 60x622. Mine have over 7000km on them and are just now showing signs of there little tread fading. I've never had a flat, and they are very comfortable. They are almost the lowest rolling resistance tyres you can buy (yes, I know, the usual sneering, jeering RBT street corner idiots won't believe it, but they can go complain to the German technical university who did the research, who'll patronize them as they deserve) and very, very fast, with superb roadholding and handling, just as Jobst and Sheldon predicted. You can read my main encomium to the Schwalbe Big Apple at
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/...p?topic=3798.0

Andre Jute
Counterintuitive? That was yesterday. Today it is second nature.
Old April 22nd 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

irlandais confiance Allemands contrôlées par les Chinois ?
Old April 22nd 14, 10:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:16:16 -0700, Ralph Barone
wrote:

It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly
for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the
summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel
roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of
tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker and
the Slickasaurus. I don't really want to give up any rolling
resistance, but I wouldn't mind more puncture protection. I can
probably go up to a 26 x 2 before clearance becomes an issue. Any
recommendations (especially on differentiating the 9 different subtypes
of Schwalbe Marathons)?

We have Marathon+ for daily commuter and tandem. Ride seems OK,
treadwear is good and we haven't had flats with them.

In our area crushed stone (what passes for gravel) tends to have flint
and that cuts up most tires. The Marathon+ has worked well.
Old April 22nd 14, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Ralph, tell us why you began with Schwalbe ....eliminating right off Conti/Pasela/Michelin ?

http://goo.gl/CdjYBQ

posters will whine abt cost...forget the cost. Yawl give us the sensation ur living in trees or in a dirt floor hut with pigs for heat.

forget mileage. Hi mileage tire users live in the trunk of the car ahead. Idiotic.
Companies spend money finding GRIP then yawl buy tires with no grip.
Old April 23rd 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, April 21, 2014 3:16:16 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my

Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly

for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the

summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel

roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of

tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker...

I have the City Slickers (big fat ones) on my around town bike.
They feel like a soft compound and compliant casing, which might
put them at the higher end for RR.

Also I think they're relatively inexpensive, so if they do fail
far from home I'd ave to kick myself for being cheap.

But they serve me very well for what I use the bike for (short
trips bopping around). They could be good for longer trips -
I don't know 'cause I've never taken this bike very far.

Old April 23rd 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.tiogausa.com/city-slicker.html