Presta valve separation?

Old April 25th 14, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Default Presta valve separation?

I patch butyl inner tubes when they need it; sometimes over and over. I buy Rima patches in bulk. Catastrophic failure of inner tubes is more common than it use to be -- via separation of the presta valve (the most common cause) or via a spontaneous split lengthwise along the inner tube's seam. Today, I saw a presta valve separate from a *Specialized* made in Taiwan inner tube (wonder who makes it); and a seam split on a Kendra made in Taiwan.

When I buy inner tubes, rather than recycling , I buy butyl "heavy duty" thicker ones -- hoping that they will hold air longer, not needing to be pumped up as frequently.

A few questions:

1) Which brands of butyl tubes are more durable, made better (Schwalbe? Continental? Michelin?); which ones are worse? And how do you pronounce "Schwalbe" anyway?

2) Do you know of a good value in a well made inner tube?

2) Is valve separation truly more common nowadays, or is this just another example of "the older you get, the better things use to be."

Thanks,
Larry
Old April 26th 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

LF wrote:

:1) Which brands of butyl tubes are more durable, made better (Schwalbe? Continental? Michelin?); which ones are worse? And how do you pronounce "Schwalbe" anyway?

I use michelin tubes, with good results. I've had bad luck with
twainase tubes, under many names. (kenda, qbp, bontrager...) Some are
fine, some are junk, and they change suppliers or specs more often
than I buy tubes. It's impossible for me to know if they're good when
I buy them. So I don't, unless I have to. Michelin tubes are
consistently good, and not really any more expensive.

I pronounce schwalbe 'expensive junk with no customer service', so I
have no idea if their tubes are any good.

:2) Do you know of a good value in a well made inner tube?

:2) Is valve separation truly more common nowadays, or is this just another example of "the older you get, the better things use to be."

it is. The method of attaching the valve to the tube has changed, and
many tubes don't have a big enough base of the valve.

--
sig 4
Old April 26th 14, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

try Specialized...

https://www.google.com/#q=audio+german+pronunciation

SSSSSccccccchhhhhh wuha awl buh

SSSSSS 'like' snow under skis or a librarian

yes, I have 3 hanging expletive deleted Q's ??? but I wold need to look again

valves popped right out of the tube surface....impossible design/manufacture

brick wall...no blindfold...22 short

Old April 26th 14, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Friday, April 25, 2014 8:08:33 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
try Specialized...

https://www.google.com/#q=audio+german+pronunciation

SSSSSccccccchhhhhh wuha awl buh

SSSSSS 'like' snow under skis or a librarian

yes, I have 3 hanging expletive deleted Q's ??? but I wold need to look again

valves popped right out of the tube surface....impossible design/manufacture

brick wall...no blindfold...22 short

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

valves may be reglued with clean surface and long cure with 3M rubber adhesive...no bashing.

Old April 26th 14, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

http://yarchive.net/bike/inner_tube_stem_fail.html

I didn't ride much for a few years until last year, and sure enuf, ... Forte tubes still SUCK.

Old April 26th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

yoooooo that's today word

SUCK !

You win a case of Bell Tubes !
Old April 26th 14, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/25/2014 5:52 PM, LF wrote:
[...]

Open a Michelin tube box and any other brand in the bike
shop. You can feel the difference. It's a much better
material and better made too. The A1 (700 skinny) are
plentiful, wider models A2, A3 are less common now but worth
a search. No, they aren't cheap but they are IMHO better value.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 26th 14, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Frogs open a new cardboard mill ?

I was over to Images yesterday checking engravings of Louis 16...

the Utube's of Renooo's club rallye car offering past,

yes we would expect Michelin tubes are super country road tubing as WI/Oi even Nebraska...

haven't used a Bell/Wal tube lately...day gone downhill or staying abrest ?

Old April 27th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

AH SENOR Lee, the Chinese tire ? has more friction than a Conti ? less precision when rolling over ?

presta valve rocket [email protected] Techniques 2 April 27th 07 08:14 PM
Presta Valve Annoyances Mike McGuire Techniques 30 November 8th 05 02:11 AM
Presta Valve Question Fleegal UK 4 August 8th 05 09:54 PM
Presta Valve help please Neil Australia 5 August 19th 04 01:34 PM
Presta Valve Leaks? carjug Unicycling 4 October 20th 03 06:15 AM