12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts

Old May 25th 16, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts

I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg
Old May 25th 16, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 2:25:12 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

You missed April 1st by seven weeks, Scharfie. Your link shows an Escher nut.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Escher+stairs&iax=1&ia=images

Andre Jute
I'd like to be gullible. It would probably make life more interesting.
Old May 25th 16, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_8_]

On 25/05/2016 11:25 AM, sms wrote:
I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

Let me guess. You have carried out a Mobius strip of your hub.
PH
Old May 25th 16, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/24/2016 10:41 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 2:25:12 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

You missed April 1st by seven weeks, Scharfie. Your link shows an Escher nut.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Escher+stairs&iax=1&ia=images

Andre Jute
I'd like to be gullible. It would probably make life more interesting.

This is an Escher nut:

http://www.tattoostime.com/images/46...her-tattoo.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 25th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 24 May 2016 18:25:06 -0700, sms
wrote:

I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

More of the same:
http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm
Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
my Machinery Handbook.

Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw he
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg
Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 25th 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2016 8:08 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/24/2016 10:41 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 2:25:12 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

You missed April 1st by seven weeks, Scharfie. Your link shows an
Escher nut.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Escher+stairs&iax=1&ia=images

Andre Jute
I'd like to be gullible. It would probably make life more interesting.

This is an Escher nut:

http://www.tattoostime.com/images/46...her-tattoo.jpg

I hope he stays an Escher nut forever. It's going to be painful to
change his mind.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 16, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

More of the same:
http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm
Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
my Machinery Handbook.

Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw he
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg
Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

Vaguely related: It's possible to run a 6mm x 1mm tap into a 1/4-20 hole
or nut and have it work for both threads. It's not strong, but it can
work for certain light-duty uses.

And of course, 5mm x 0.8 is so close to 10-32 that they're difficult to
tell apart.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 16, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
:They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

:More of the same:
:http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm
:Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
:my Machinery Handbook.

:Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw he
:http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg
:Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
:threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
:credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
:made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

Fastenal stock them.

--
sig 39
Old May 25th 16, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote:

[...]

The old British 0BA thread is almost identical to m6.

When I had a Norton Commando 750, the 2BA screws holding the float bowls on
the carbs worked loose - vibration had enlarged the threaded holes.

M5 socket cap screws were a tight fit without any re tapping - the repair
never gave any further trouble.

Old May 26th 16, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

:wrote:

:I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
:internal hub.
:
:They look like this: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg

:More of the same:
:http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm
:Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
:my Machinery Handbook.

:Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw he
:http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg
:Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
:threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
:credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
:made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

Fastenal stock them.

I should have specified the thread size. By my measurements, I
*THINK* it's #7-19 3/4" but there's a problem. The standard sizes are
#6-18, #7-17, and #8-18. A #7-19 doesn't seem to exist. We have a
handy Fastenal dealer fairly close to my palatial office. After the
local hardware stores gave up, I waved a sample screw at them without
success.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/sheet-metal-screws?term=High+Low&r=%20~|categoryl1:%22600000%2 0Fasteners%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22600051%20Screws% 22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22600066%20Sheet%20Metal%20Sc rews%22|~
This is the closest I could find in #8-18 which I determined was both
too big and the wrong thread. However, I'm not sure and will need to
double check.

Either I measured wrong, Fastenal measured wrong, or Fluke designed a
proprietary thread. This is not a critical project so I haven't been
doing much on finding the screw. I'll work on it again sometime in
the next few weeks.

Thank you.