because they can

Old May 27th 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default because they can

https://goo.gl/KW8Uem

MAXIMIZES contact patch stability
Old May 28th 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:07:13 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/27/2016 11:52 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2016 16:00:39 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 6:23:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/20/...ike-hit-track/

A solution in search of a problem... -- Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I really like the black bicycle photographed against a black
background.

I wonder why it has a left side drive instead of the normal right side
drive?

Pino Morroni did that decades ago with track bikes. His thinking was
that there was an advantage to carrying the mass of the drive train a
shorter distance per lap compared to having it on the right hand side-
whch is both uphill and farther around. It probably saved 0.00002
seconds per lap, I would guess.

Any reference to Pino Morroni makes this a good day.

Our world is a bleaker place without him.

I have a bunch of his skewers in a drawer in the basement. Now that I look at them, they're kind of cheesey. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA..._qr_skewer.htm

But, hey, back in the day, the only thing you could do to distinguish yourself was to buy Ti bits or drill holes -- or both. Maybe get two seat tubes and a ridiculously short wheel base. Other than that, the same old Italian same old.
Me and Eddy were riding on the same stuff, plus or minus silk tires (I actually preferred cotton) and some drill holes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 28th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I really like the black bicycle photographed against a black background.

I wonder why it has a left side drive instead of the normal right side drive?

Cheers

Because they can!

In a down market, every other geegaw has already been
flogged to death so now we're on to New Left Drive.

Well, if it is "NEW!" then it must be "BETTER!". Stands to reason :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 28th 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Tim McNamara wrote:
:On Thu, 26 May 2016 17:22:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
: http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/20/...ike-hit-track/
:
: A solution in search of a problem...

:http://www.what-the-heck-is-wrong-wi...cter-URLs.c0m?

:That use to be considered a sign of rank incompetence among web site
:designers.

It's supposed to be better for the search engines.

--
sig 32
Old May 28th 16, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/05/16 01:56, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2016 06:46:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/26/2016 6:00 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 6:23:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/20/...ike-hit-track/

A solution in search of a problem...
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I really like the black bicycle photographed against a black background.

I wonder why it has a left side drive instead of the normal right side drive?

Cheers

Because they can!

In a down market, every other geegaw has already been
flogged to death so now we're on to New Left Drive.

Well, if it is "NEW!" then it must be "BETTER!". Stands to reason :-)

My hangovers certainly support that view :-(

Old May 28th 16, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 05-28-2016 02:09, David Scheidt wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:
:On Thu, 26 May 2016 17:22:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
: http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/20/...ike-hit-track/
:
: A solution in search of a problem...

:http://www.what-the-heck-is-wrong-wi...cter-URLs.c0m?

:That use to be considered a sign of rank incompetence among web site
:designers.

It's supposed to be better for the search engines.

Allows you to know what the content is (or pretends to be) before
clicking. Many CMS systems actually work with only the first few
characters after the date.

--
Wes Groleau