214 Million in Funding For Cycling Announced

Old November 27th 14, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

Default 214 Million in Funding For Cycling Announced

http://road.cc/content/news/137135-n...unding-cycling

Some say £3 per head of the population is too little.

"The CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy reiterated the organsation's call
for the equivalent of at least £10 per person per year to be spent on
cycling."

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.
Old November 27th 14, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:39:19 +0000, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/137135-n...unding-cycling

Some say £3 per head of the population is too little.

"The CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy reiterated the organsation's call
for the equivalent of at least £10 per person per year to be spent on
cycling."

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.

I think it is quite reasonable: as long as the money comes from the
registration fee and annual tax on cyclists to enable them to use the
facilities.

Old November 27th 14, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/137135-n...unding-cycling

Some say £3 per head of the population is too little.

"The CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy reiterated the organsation's call
for the equivalent of at least £10 per person per year to be spent on
cycling."

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.

I think it is quite reasonable: as long as the money comes from the
registration fee and annual tax on cyclists to enable them to use the
facilities.

I seem to remember ome psycholist saying there were 250 million bikes in
the uk, so if the owners put in a quid for each one that they own, the
money will be found easily.
Old November 27th 14, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

wrote:

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.

If it was true it would be but cycling organisations do like to over
egg the cake.

The "evidence" appears to be a Cycling England (hardly an unbiased
source) report which said "Overall, it is estimated that investing in
cycling gives very good value for money, with benefits estimated to be
3.2 times the costs." (£3.20 has been rounded to the nearest £5 it
seems). There was no evidence - just the output of an "economic
model" fed data by cyclists. GIGO?

Now we have had a number of towns who have made expensive efforts to
promote bicycles and have claimed 90% increases in cycling. We also
have a small number of places such as Cambridge which have long had a
disproportionate number of cyclists.

For some mysterious reason no one has tried to validate the wild
claims of cycling propagandists against sickness and death rates in
these areas compared with many where cyclists are as rare as rocking
horse droppings. Why not?

Old November 27th 14, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/137135-n...unding-cycling

Some say £3 per head of the population is too little.

"The CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy reiterated the organsation's call
for the equivalent of at least £10 per person per year to be spent on
cycling."

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.

I think it is quite reasonable: as long as the money comes from the
registration fee and annual tax on cyclists to enable them to use the
facilities.

What you seem to overlook is that cycling has an overall benefit to the
economy and to society. Therefore it would only be right that society
overall funds the facilitation of it.

Also the main benefactor in cycle facilities is the motorist. Therefore
the motorist should be taxed at a higher rate to fund the facilities
that are provided for their benefit.

We're getting there, but it is a slow process.

Old November 28th 14, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 21:02:05 +0000, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

snip

We're getting there, but it is a slow process.

Have you not thought of giving up the bike for a car?

Old November 28th 14, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cassandra[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Lets see which is better for the economy

Buying and running a car which employs millions of people in this
country, or spending a couple of hundred quid on something made in a
chinese seatshop ?
Old November 28th 14, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cassandra[_6_]

wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/137135-n...unding-cycling

Some say £3 per head of the population is too little.

"The CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy reiterated the organsation's call
for the equivalent of at least £10 per person per year to be spent on
cycling."

"The Government recently published evidence showing that investing in
cycling delivers over £5 of health and other benefits for every £1 spent."

A £5 return for every £1 spent seems to me a good use of tax payers
money - to me anyway.

People who insist on not dying costs the country a fortune in pension,
social and NHS costs
Old November 28th 14, 06:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

A fair point but a narrow view. But how much does it cost the economy in
time spent in traffic jams, obesity related illness? I am not an
economist and I have little interest in the subject anyway. However I do
however think that 'the economy' is given far too much importance over
and above health and the environment in which we live. Health and well
being of people appear to be of lesser importance in this money driven
society.
Old November 28th 14, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

[...]

....and just think about those miles of kerbside "cycle lanes" (ie, the
nearside of the carriageway) denied to other road users, just
sterilising the kerbside for legitimate use including
using them.

For some mysterious reason no one has tried to validate the wild
claims of cycling propagandists against sickness and death rates in
these areas compared with many where cyclists are as rare as rocking
horse droppings. Why not?

Mainly because it is widely believed/known that the claims are bogus.
There is no need to validate them because they have never been evidenced
in the first place.

New UK cycling funding announced Simon Mason UK 0 August 8th 11 11:52 AM
FUNDING lewis[_2_] General 0 September 9th 08 11:58 AM
funding for your club lbyvik Techniques 0 August 22nd 06 08:26 PM
Funding sources? John Hearns UK 2 March 12th 05 11:22 AM
Route map Funding burt UK 14 July 19th 04 10:44 PM