Seat Creak on Street Machine GT

Old March 25th 07, 09:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Grange

Default Seat Creak on Street Machine GT

I posted on this subject in 2005. The really loud creak from the seat
was causing me grief, and it was getting worse. I was genuinely
concerned the seat was going to fail, but could find no cracks in the
seat.

However, I recently found out what it was. The skewers that hold the
seat in place had oil on them, and the oil had made its way onto the
face of the washers on the skewers which press on the seat mounting to
hold it in place.

Cleaned everything up, back to silent seat again.

In my experience one uses oil to stop squeaks, but in this case it was
causing it.

Any mechanically-minded people out there with an explanation?

Cheers

Pete

--

Peter Grange
Old March 25th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Leif

On Mar 25, 1:06 pm, Peter Grange wrote:
I posted on this subject in 2005. The really loud creak from the seat
was causing me grief, and it was getting worse. I was genuinely
concerned the seat was going to fail, but could find no cracks in the
seat.

However, I recently found out what it was. The skewers that hold the
seat in place had oil on them, and the oil had made its way onto the
face of the washers on the skewers which press on the seat mounting to
hold it in place.

Cleaned everything up, back to silent seat again.

In my experience one uses oil to stop squeaks, but in this case it was
causing it.

Any mechanically-minded people out there with an explanation?

Cheers

Pete

--

Peter Grange

Interesting.

I had the same squeak which went away when I put a 1 inch wood spacer
between the skewer mount and the seat back (trying to get a more
upright seat position). It took awhile for me to realize the squeek
was gone cause I'd gotten used to it.
Anyway, still love my SMGT.

-L

Old March 27th 07, 07:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Peter Grange wrote:

However, I recently found out what it was. The skewers that hold the
seat in place had oil on them, and the oil had made its way onto the
face of the washers on the skewers which press on the seat mounting to
hold it in place.

Cleaned everything up, back to silent seat again.

In my experience one uses oil to stop squeaks, but in this case it was
causing it.

Any mechanically-minded people out there with an explanation?

A rather vague guess, where you add it to stop squeaks it's to make
movement between parts /easier/. In this case you don't things
moving at all, so making things move more easily could increase
movement from effectively zero to a little bit, which gives rise to
creaks.

But I'm no engineer...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 27th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:31:04 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

A rather vague guess, where you add it to stop squeaks it's to make
movement between parts /easier/. In this case you don't things
moving at all, so making things move more easily could increase
movement from effectively zero to a little bit, which gives rise to
creaks.

But I'm no engineer...

Probably close, anyway. Visions had a problem with their skewers and
it would increase noise everywhere on the seat, including the seat
support straps. Of course, the recall on some was because they would
actually fail and your seat would leave the bike, which was
discomfiting.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 27th 07, 09:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Grange

wrote:

A rather vague guess, where you add it to stop squeaks it's to make
movement between parts /easier/. In this case you don't things
moving at all, so making things move more easily could increase
movement from effectively zero to a little bit, which gives rise to
creaks.

But I'm no engineer...

Probably close, anyway. Visions had a problem with their skewers and
it would increase noise everywhere on the seat, including the seat
support straps. Of course, the recall on some was because they would
actually fail and your seat would leave the bike, which was
discomfiting.

Well whatever reason it's stopped now, after over a year. I took the
seat off several times but couldn't figure it out. The seat exiting
stage right was my worry.
A (very) marginal benefit was that peds in Windsor Great Park heard me
coming.

Old March 27th 07, 09:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
[...]

But I'm no engineer...

Christ no! He is a Medical Physics IT Officer ... whatever the hell that is!

Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka