'Helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists'

Old March 22nd 12, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default 'Helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists'

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Helm...ail/story.html

A Sherborne mother whose son was badly injured when he was in a collision
with a car has called for wearing a helmet while cycling to be made
compulsory by law.

Tina Kadir, of Lambsfield, says not enough is being done to protect people
from the dangers of cycling.

Mrs Kadir's son Louis, 14, suffered life-threatening injuries in November
after a collision with a car during his paper round. He was not wearing a
helmet.

Now Mrs Kadir wants to petition the Government for a new law making it
compulsory for cyclists to wear a helmet.

She said: "I don't want any family to ever go through what we went through.

"Our whole life has changed. We aren't how we used to be. Everything is a
lot harder than it was before. I want something good to come of Louis'
accident. I don't want his injuries to be in vain."

Mrs Kadir admitted that she had not considered wearing protective gear
before her son's accident.

She said: "I used to cycle to work every day without a helmet and think
nothing of it. Perhaps because it was only down the road and there are
pavements either side.

"Every single one of us in the house has a helmet but we didn't wear them as
regularly as we should. Louis never wore his for his paper round.

"Had Louis been wearing his, he probably wouldn't have been injured as
badly. We were very lucky that he pulled through. There was definitely
someone watching over him that day."

Louis, a Gryphon School student, now makes sure his friends always wear
helmets.

He suffered serious head injuries during the accident at the junction of
Newland and North Road.

He was airlifted to hospital where he was placed into an induced coma. He
was in a life-threatening condition for two days and returned home from
hospital in January.

Mrs Kadir said Louis is making a slow and steady recovery.

She said: "When he came out of the coma, we saw his personality shine
through straightaway.

"He certainly hasn't lost his sense of humour."

Mrs Kadir said her son won't return to his paper round but he hopes to
pursue an interest in catering. He has returned to school part time and
receives one-to-one lessons. He is being integrated back into lessons with
his Year 9 classmates but has difficulty concentrating.

Mrs Kadir said: "No one quite knows how long it will take for him to
recover."

Louis attends speech therapy classes and will return to Frenchay Hospital in
Bristol for a check up in May.

The keen footballer is unable to play sport due to the risk of banging his
head and is resigned to playing on his games console.

Louis, a former member of the school's team, said: "I'm eager to get back on
the pitch, my classmates need my skills to win again."

Even if he does return to sport he may be required to wear a protective
helmet.

Mrs Kadir has worked with Dorset Police to arrange for safety awareness
assemblies which took place in Sherborne schools this week.

The talks were delivered by cycling charity the Bicycle Helmet Initiative
Trust (BHIT).

PC Rhiannon Stroud helped to arrange the assemblies.

She said everyone should wear a helmet and it should be made a legal
requirement as it is for motorcyle riders.

She said: "It needs to be drummed into people. I don't think it is promoted
enough."

She said helmets were sometimes seen as uncool which led many to avoid
wearing them. She urged parents to set an example to their children by also
wearing head gear.

BHIT's founder Angela Lee was approached to lead the assemblies.

Amanda Woodard, office manager for the BHIT, said Mrs Lee, a paediatric
trauma nurse at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, set up the charity
after she realised too many children were coming into her care after being
injured by not wearing a helmet.

She added that help is available for schools, through the BHIT, if they want
to promote cycling safety to students.

For more information visit www.bhit.org.

Old March 22nd 12, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Mar 22, 4:12*pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Helm...ists-says-mum-...

Mr Benn, do you think helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists?
Or just children? Or no-one at all? Please explain your answer.
Old March 22nd 12, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

"M Wicks" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 4:12 pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Helm...ists-says-mum-...

Mr Benn, do you think helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists?
Or just children? Or no-one at all? Please explain your answer.

All cyclists. Just as I believe seat belts should be compulsory for all
drivers.

Old March 22nd 12, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/03/2012 16:34, Mr Benn wrote:

"M Wicks" wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Helm...ists-says-mum-...

Mr Benn, do you think helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists?
Or just children? Or no-one at all? Please explain your answer.

All cyclists. Just as I believe seat belts should be compulsory for all drivers.

And all car/van passengers?

Old March 22nd 12, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

"M Wicks" wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Helm...ists-says-mum-...

Mr Benn, do you think helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists?
Or just children? Or no-one at all? Please explain your answer.

All cyclists. Just as I believe seat belts should be compulsory for all
drivers.

And all car/van passengers?

Exactly.

I can still the early resistance to wearing seat belts. Some people would
come up with all sorts of spurious reasons on why they would make driving
more dangerous! Nowadays we can look back and just smile.

Old March 22nd 12, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

"M Wicks" wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Helm...ists-says-mum-...

Mr Benn, do you think helmets should be compulsory for all cyclists?
Or just children? Or no-one at all? Please explain your answer.

All cyclists. Just as I believe seat belts should be compulsory for all
drivers.

And all car/van passengers?

Exactly.

I can still the early resistance to wearing seat belts. Some people would
come up with all sorts of spurious reasons on why they would make driving
more dangerous! Nowadays we can look back and just smile.

Absolutely. It was less than 30 years ago. I hardly ever wore a seat belt
before it was made compulsory. And in the way of things, drivers could feel
insulted - or at least impugned - by passengers who belted up, whilst
passengers could be made nervous by the sight of the driver busy readying
himself for an accident. A bit like Boeing 737 cabin staff wearing parachutes
whilst serving those little cheese rolls and pretzels.

OTOH, I'm not at all sure that compulsion would be a good idea for cyclists.
Wearing a helmet is clearly at least as good an idea as wearing a seatbelt,
but I was never actually favour of compulsion there either.

Old March 22nd 12, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

"M Wicks" wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote:
[...]

If all cyclists have to wear helmets, then pedestrians will REALLY
have to look out. Or, just maybe, body armour legislation is being
prepared already.
Old March 22nd 12, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"M Wicks" wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote:
[...]

Why is this parent looking to unload her responsibility for the care of her
child to others? hindsight, wonderful. Perhaps she'd be better addressing
the cause of the accident, prevention being better than cure.

Old March 22nd 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"M wrote:
"Mr wrote:
[...]

Pedestrians aren't using a vehicle halfwit.

University
Old March 22nd 12, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

"M *wrote:
"Mr *wrote:
[...]

Oh yes I forgot. Pedestrians never get hurt or killed. Silly me.

Cycling Helmets Compulsory? judith UK 12 July 24th 08 06:38 PM
Cycling Helmets Compulsory? judith UK 42 July 23rd 08 10:31 PM
Cycling Helmets Compulsory? _[_2_] Racing 2 July 21st 08 12:02 PM
Helmets are compulsory Tilly UK 373 July 6th 05 07:43 PM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM