cycling in Los Angeles and cycling in Melbourne

Old September 26th 03, 05:58 AM
Andy White

Default cycling in Los Angeles and cycling in Melbourne

In article ,
says...
Andy White wrote in message
Take Kennett as an example. During his initial
election campaign he said under his g'ment things were going to get bad
in the short term, but to stick with him and in the long run they'd be
better. He's still there. Just goes to show people are smarter than
you think.

That really is quite funny seeing as he's long gone. Apparently people
ARE smarter than you think...

Doh! Ok, bad example. But I'm sure there is one somewhere ;-)
Old September 26th 03, 06:57 AM
Paul J

John Doe wrote:
so many older cars in tip top shape in the United States not only points
: to their strict laws regarding maintenance but is also indicative of
: their passion for their motor cars.
You obviously have not spent much time in the US. They may not blow as
much smoke but their cars are much much bigger. Our largest passenger

car would be classed as a compact in their eyes. One of my colleagues
that lives in Chicago told me that you just get used to it. As I only
travel over their several times a year I still shake my head at the
monsters.

Pete

Notice that I mentioned that people in the US are much more passionate
about their motor cars than we are here in Oz. I made no mention about
the size of their cars. But since you mentioned it, the size of their
cars may indicate how passionately they "believe" in the almighty
automobile. In fact, in the eyes of many of their citizens the
automobile is an inaleinable right to be protected with religious zeal.

Old September 26th 03, 11:20 AM
gescom

wrote:
"trains are the second most efficient way of shifting matter around the
surface of the planet - after the bicycle".
and
You might remember the movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? On the surface,
it's a jokey story about a 1920s world where humans live side-by-side
with "toons" - indestructible cartoon characters. But the subplot is
about a "toon" who wanted to destroy public transport in the town of Los
Angeles. His plan was to buy up all the public transport, and then close
it down, so that he could build strange things called "freeways" that
would carry huge numbers of cars. Now this might seem like an outrageous
conspiracy theory - but this subplot is based on an accusation aimed at
General Motors back in the 1920s.
Back then, Los Angeles had a very efficient, clean and rapid system of
public transport - of electric trolley cars. The conspiracy theory
claims that General Motors, via a series of dummy companies, gradually
bought up all the efficient city public transport systems across the
USA. They replaced the fast, silent and clean electric trolley cars
with slow, noisy and very smelly diesel buses. The passengers and
townspeople complained about the stinky buses, and so the public
transport systems closed themselves down - leaving the commuters with
no option but to buy a car.

I think the idea that we would be better off with 'newer' cars on the
road is false. The manufacturing process is just as polluting and
wastefull to the environment as is driving an old car.

Anyway to quote the great
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/trek/s268283.htmDr Karl

Old September 27th 03, 01:54 AM
John Doe

: I think the idea that we would be better off with 'newer' cars on the
: road is false. The manufacturing process is just as polluting and
: wastefull to the environment as is driving an old car.

If it was an equivalent situation then the newer cars would be better for
cyclists. However there are many other social downfalls to making everyone
have modern cars.

: Anyway to quote the great
: http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/trek/s268283.htmDr Karl

Thanks for this. That was a good read. I like Dr Karl. I like it because
I cycle to the rail 21km's then catch the train to work. Ditto in the
afternoon. So I am using the 2 most efficient forms of transport.

Pete