cycling with glasses

Old November 15th 04, 11:43 AM
Stuart Lamble

Default cycling with glasses

On 2004-11-15, Dej wrote:
so what do the glasses wearers do? wear contacts? wear shaded prescription
glasses?

I basically wear contact lenses, and regular sunglasses over the top. In
my experience, glasses just don't give good enough peripheral vision (at
least, mine don't) for me to be comfortable cycling with them (they're
fine for driving, though -- it's a paranoia thing.) And as for the
sunglasses -- trust me, if you've ever had sand get in your eye (or
grit, for that matter), you'll never cycle with contacts, but without
sunglasses (or the yellow lenses at night) again.

Old November 15th 04, 08:54 PM
Random Data

Stuart Lamble wrote in message ...

I basically wear contact lenses, and regular sunglasses over the top. In
my experience, glasses just don't give good enough peripheral vision (at
least, mine don't) for me to be comfortable cycling with them

I used to do the same, but I've been finding sitting in aircon in
contacts dried my eyes too much. I also didn't think (prescription)
glasses would work too well, because I like peripheral vision. However
I've got a pair of Rudy Project Ekynox SX with the clip on
prescription lenses (like half the rest of the group by the sound of
it).

This is a normal pair of sunnies with a small wire framed prescription
insert that clips to the nose piece behind the main frame. Works a lot
better than it sounds, though you do get some light scratching on the
main lens from the wire frame. If it really bugged me a tiny dab of
silicone on the corner of the frame would fix the problem.

The prescription insert seems to give me a FOV of around 70 degrees
while my total FOV is a smidge over 90 degrees. Looking to the side I
end up with the insert's frame just outside where my eyes look, so my
peripheral vision isn't too bad, since I'm only -2ish on my
prescription so shapes are visible anyway.

The main sunglass lens is also quickly changeable, though not as
nicely as my old Smith Sliders. This means I can run dark lenses
during the day and clears for night. I need to get some red and/or
orange for winter and intermediate conditions. One nice thing is that
damaged lenses are replaced for around $30 by Rudy Project, which
isn't too bad for name brand glasses.

As you said, riding in contacts without something in front of them is
not a very pleasant experience.

Dave - who can't quite legally drive without glasses
--
Dave Hughes | |
A man might spend his life peering at the private life of elementary

cycling with glasses SteveA Australia 0 November 15th 04 06:17 AM
Critique of BMA paper Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 November 11th 04 11:15 PM
published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
More Paris Cycling - Along Southern Rim Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 4 May 26th 04 02:01 AM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 04:56 AM