Haleakala... the HARD way! (ride report)

Old December 1st 05, 03:25 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Haleakala... the HARD way! (ride report)

In article ,
says...
Scott Mace wrote:
Back in January 2000 my wife and I used Haleakala Bike Co. The tours start
at their bike shop. No silly motorcycle helmets!

You need to watch out, ridiculing helmets in this way, on these forums .

Dan

He's not ridiculing helmets in general, just motorcycle helmets Grin.

newsgroups if possible).
Old December 1st 05, 05:35 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

David Kerber wrote:
In article ,
says...

Scott Mace wrote:

Back in January 2000 my wife and I used Haleakala Bike Co. The tours start
at their bike shop. No silly motorcycle helmets!

You need to watch out, ridiculing helmets in this way, on these forums .

Dan

He's not ridiculing helmets in general, just motorcycle helmets Grin.

Just don't ask me to feed you grool with a spoon after your head injury suffered
during a bike crash because you didn't have a full-face, M2005-certified helmet.
Harumph.

Dan
Old December 4th 05, 12:18 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...
I've finally got the photos & descriptions... and, perhaps *most*
important, the maps, from last-week's Haleakala ride up.

Hey, is the Spreckels in Spreckelsville on the map related to the Spreckels
of
Spreckels, California, near Salinas?

Spreckels was a company town devoted to a beet-growing operation, kind of
like an agricultural version of Pullman near Chicago. It was founded by
(you guessed it)
a fellow named Spreckels. The town is still there (I biked there last
summer) though
I don't think they grow beets.

-- Paul

Old December 4th 05, 01:55 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

"Paul A. Steckler" wrote in message
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...
I've finally got the photos & descriptions... and, perhaps *most*
important, the maps, from last-week's Haleakala ride up.

Hey, is the Spreckels in Spreckelsville on the map related to the
Spreckels of Spreckels, California, near Salinas?

Spreckels was a company town devoted to a beet-growing operation, kind of
like an agricultural version of Pullman near Chicago. It was founded by
(you guessed it) a fellow named Spreckels. The town is still there (I
biked there last summer) though I don't think they grow beets.

-- Paul

Could be since the beets were sugar beets. Where 101 crosses the railroad
tracks north of San Juan Bautista there is an old structure for loading
beets on to railcars. The small tower next to the tracks used to (I think it
has been painted over) be labeled C & H for the California and Hawaii sugar
company.

Old December 4th 05, 01:25 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

It was the main bus tour (don't recall the name) company in Sep 1998.
There was a store with gardens of rare plants on the route up.

Janet wrote:
wrote:
Janet wrote:

What trip were you on. When we were there, no stopping for pictures,
talks, etc. (the only stop was the planned breadfast - which wasn't very
good). Yes, it was boring.

Janet

Old December 19th 05, 09:53 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

"Scott Mace" posted:

"Janet" wrote in message

One thing though - we did the sunrise tour thing. I don't reccommend
the tour, but if you can find someone to drive you up to the summit
pre-dawn, the sunrise is really worth it - it's spectacular! (just be
sure to dress warmly and in layers - at 10K ft. it gets pretty chilly
pre-dawn, then warms quickly once the sun rises) Then you can ride
your own bike down at your own pace, not the ridiculously slow pace
the tours use. I think someone in the past mentioned a bike shop that
does rentals (real bikes, not the junk the tour companies use) and
will drive you to the summit...

Back in January 2000 my wife and I used Haleakala Bike Co. The tours
start at their bike shop. No silly motorcycle helmets!

http://www.bikemaui.com/

I used them in June 2001. Did the ride down by myself, at my own (fast)
pace, without a convoy. Highly recommended.
See http://buten.net/max/Maui/Haleakala/Haleakala.htm for photos &
journal.

- Max

--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Mt Holly, Myanmar (new), Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand (new),
Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections