Kangaroo Island or Flinders Ranges?

Old November 13th 04, 06:55 PM
Gerd

Default Kangaroo Island or Flinders Ranges?

Next year I'm doing a bicycle-tour in Australia starting in Adelaide.
I'm in doubt what to do. Going to Kangaroo Island or to Flinders
Ranges? In my planning I won't have time to do both (have to get a
plane in Cairns). Who can give me advice?

Gerd
Old November 13th 04, 08:15 PM
Jack Russell

Gerd wrote:
Next year I'm doing a bicycle-tour in Australia starting in Adelaide.
I'm in doubt what to do. Going to Kangaroo Island or to Flinders
Ranges? In my planning I won't have time to do both (have to get a
plane in Cairns). Who can give me advice?

Gerd

Take a look at this.

Kangaroo Island can have shocking weather but the Peninsula on the way
down is beautiful.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell
Old November 13th 04, 10:15 PM
Peter Signorini

"Gerd" wrote in message
om...
Next year I'm doing a bicycle-tour in Australia starting in Adelaide.
I'm in doubt what to do. Going to Kangaroo Island or to Flinders
Ranges? In my planning I won't have time to do both (have to get a
plane in Cairns). Who can give me advice?

The choice is pretty easy really. It will be decided by the time of year you
will be in the region. From Nov to May I'd suggest staying well away from
the Flinders Ranges unless you love to cycle in 45deg + temperatures with
minimal supplies of water about. Go there in winter. Likewise from May to
Nov Kangaroo Island has the delights of a cold, wet winter with gale force
winds. This is a summer destination.

Have a great tour

Cheers
Peter

Old November 14th 04, 12:07 AM
jcjordan

Gerd Wrote:
Next year I'm doing a bicycle-tour in Australia starting in Adelaide.
I'm in doubt what to do. Going to Kangaroo Island or to Flinders
Ranges? In my planning I won't have time to do both (have to get a
plane in Cairns). Who can give me advice?

Gerd

you may want to avoid the flinders at that time of year as the temp
will be in the lower to mid 40C. also the distance between possibl
water refills will be a bit long unless you want to carry 20+ liters o
you at all times.

KI is great and i have rode around it a couple of times, the onl
problem is the roads. For the most part they are metal surfaces (i
hard packed dirt with small little stones) which hurt like hell whe
flicked up on your legs by cars.

have fun :

--
jcjordan

Old November 14th 04, 02:52 AM
Terry Collins

Gerd wrote:

Next year I'm doing a bicycle-tour in Australia starting in Adelaide.
I'm in doubt what to do. Going to Kangaroo Island or to Flinders
Ranges? In my planning I won't have time to do both (have to get a
plane in Cairns). Who can give me advice?

How long are you planning on being in Australia?
Old November 15th 04, 10:57 AM
Peter Signorini

"Gerd" wrote in message
om...

And I'm coming to Australia for 3 months. But as said, I have to take
my plane back from Cairns. I want to do the whole way cycling and also
visit Melbourne and Sydney. If I stay to long in SA, I won't be in
Cairns in time. Also it might be getting quite cold by the time I get
to Melbourne and the Snowy Mountains.

Around that time starting in Cairns you are going to strike the tail end of
the wet season, then take 4-8 wks to get down to Melbourne where winter may
be setting in. Much better to start in Adelaide in late March (catch a
domstic flight down there). Then perhaps visit Kangaroo Island, take the
coastal Princes Hwy and Great Ocean Roa to Melbourne and the Snowies in
April/May (the 'authorities' won't lock you out even if it does snow,
contary to the OP) and work north as the warm tropical dry sets in. You'd
have to be an epic-rider to cycle Cairns-Adelaide-Cairns in 3 months.

If you get to Melbourne for a Thursday evening consider visiting our touring
club meeting at Trades Hall, Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club -
www.mbtc.org.au

Cheers
Peter

Old November 15th 04, 12:55 PM
Peter Signorini

"Peter Signorini" wrote in message

"Gerd" wrote in message
om...

And I'm coming to Australia for 3 months. But as said, I have to take
my plane back from Cairns. I want to do the whole way cycling and also
visit Melbourne and Sydney. If I stay to long in SA, I won't be in
Cairns in time. Also it might be getting quite cold by the time I get
to Melbourne and the Snowy Mountains.

Around that time starting in Cairns you are going to strike the tail end

of
the wet season, then take 4-8 wks to get down to Melbourne where winter

may
be setting in. Much better to start in Adelaide in late March

OOPS! Just re-read your original post and see that this is exactly what you
are doing. Ignore me, it must be too late tonight :-}
This trip should work out very well, although be aware that some cyclists
can easily spend 2-3 months jus travelling from Melbourne to Cairns. See the
following Yahoo posts by my friend Randy - left Sydney in late May, arrived
Cairns in mid August.

You'll have to watch your schedule on the road, even be prepared to use
bus/train to hop ahead if necessary to meet your flight. There's a lot to
see and do along the way! Have a great trip.

Cheers
Peter

Old November 15th 04, 04:37 PM
Gerd

"Gerd" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry Peter. My fault, I split my message up a bit, making it not
quite clear. Your advice is exactly my plan. I arrive in Adelaide on
the 21th of March 2005 and depart from Cairns on the 16th of June
2005, so I have about 3 months to cycle from Adelaide to Cairns.

Gerd

Kangaroo Court Aussies MagillaGorilla Racing 0 November 17th 04 05:25 PM
kangaroo uni. scooter Unicycling 3 June 2nd 04 05:34 PM
kangaroo commandoH Unicycling 6 February 10th 04 07:27 AM
cassette ranges Styler UK 7 January 22nd 04 08:53 PM
uni design from vintage "kangaroo bicycle" Cokerhead Unicycling 6 November 8th 03 06:57 AM