north umpqua

Old July 8th 06, 05:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default north umpqua

I left an early post about a trip on the north umpqua scheduled for four
days in late July. We will be biking two days in and two days out for
approximately a 100 mile round trip on the north umpqua trail in Oregon. We
will be carrying all gear on bikes. I was just wondering what to expect.
For example I have a Specialized Expedition (probably a cheap bike on this
groups standards) that only has standard brake pads. Should I get disc
brake pads or will my brakes perform well enough for some of the declines?
Should I bring any lubricant for the chain or fork suspension? And also
what about an extra chain link just in case (I have been told that this is
something I would not need). I realize the people in this group are
probably used to more advanced mountain biking than I am and based on the
better bikes than I do) seems to have been taken as a joke. If anyone has
some good advice for preperation I would really appreciate it.

Thanx,

Luke

Old July 8th 06, 06:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Luke wrote:
[...]

Still sounds like a joke that someone so clueless would be doing a
multi-day backcountry ride on a city bike. If you're serious and you're
not trolling you're going to die out there.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old July 8th 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"Luke" wrote in message
. ..
I left an early post about a trip on the north umpqua scheduled for four
days in late July. We will be biking two days in and two days out for
approximately a 100 mile round trip on the north umpqua trail in Oregon.
We will be carrying all gear on bikes. I was just wondering what to
expect. For example I have a Specialized Expedition (probably a cheap bike
on this groups standards) that only has standard brake pads. Should I get
disc brake pads or will my brakes perform well enough for some of the
declines? Should I bring any lubricant for the chain or fork suspension?
And also what about an extra chain link just in case (I have been told that
this is something I would not need). I realize the people in this group
are probably used to more advanced mountain biking than I am and based on
the responses to my last post my trip plans with two friends (who both have
better bikes than I do) seems to have been taken as a joke. If anyone has
some good advice for preperation I would really appreciate it.

Thanx,

Luke

don't be so touchy - all I did was ask if you were hauling a bob trailer or
taking packs. Chain lube for cascade dust is a Duh item, as is a repair kit
and the knowlegde of how to use it.

You should be prepared for ANYTHING. If you have to ask questions like
"chain lube?" perhaps you are not adequately prepared.

ps

Old July 8th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
gabrielle

Luke wrote:
I left an early post about a trip on the north umpqua scheduled for four
days in late July. We will be biking two days in and two days out for
approximately a 100 mile round trip on the north umpqua trail in Oregon.
We will be carrying all gear on bikes.

IMO, having just gotten off the upper section of that trail, this is Not a
Good Idea (tm).

For example I have a Specialized Expedition (probably a cheap
bike on this groups standards) that only has standard brake pads.
Should I get disc brake pads or will my brakes perform well enough for
some of the declines?

You do understand that you don't just "get disc brake pads", you have to
change out your whole brake system?

Should I bring any lubricant for the chain or fork
suspension? And also what about an extra chain link just in case (I
have been told that this is something I would not need).

The person that told you that was an idiot. I bring more repair stuff
than that on my daily happy hour ride.

If anyone has some good advice for preperation I
would really appreciate it.

Get/hire a sag wagon.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:34:49 -0700, G.T. wrote:
Still sounds like a joke that someone so clueless would be doing a
multi-day backcountry ride on a city bike. If you're serious and you're
not trolling you're going to die out there.

Agreed.

gabrielle

Old July 9th 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
BB

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 21:41:34 -0700, Luke wrote:
We will be biking two days in and two days out for
approximately a 100 mile round trip on the north umpqua trail in Oregon. We
will be carrying all gear on bikes

You have far more to worry about than just bike parts. The most obvious is
water. Its not unusual to suck down most (or all) of a 100 oz camelbak on
a long ride (I used to use a 72 oz, and would frequently run out on long
rides). That's about 6 pounds for 100 oz of water alone, times four days
is 24 pounds. Of course, your need for water doesn't end with the ride, so
you're looking at mid-30 pounds just for basic water needs. When I say
basic, I mean bare minimum - if you crash and lose some, you're screwed.
If you get lost, you're screwed. And that weight doesn't even count the
other stuff you'll need, of course.

People die in the wilderness fairly frequently here in Oregon, usually
because they're inexperienced and unprepared and don't take it seriously.
And here you are, a couple of newbies on comfort bikes planning on riding
100 miles carrying some 50 to 60 pounds of crap each, on trails that are
considered difficult for experience riders carrying the most basic riding
kit. Its probably wrong for us not to take you seriously, because what
you're planning on doing is seriously foolish.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old July 10th 06, 05:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Luke

Geeze I didn't realize I would need so much water while traveling along the
tributaries of the Umpqua. Thank you for pointing that out. Since I have
never been on extended backpacking trips I would not know how to refill the
water. Geez ... You mountain bikers are so knowledgeable in the outdoors.
I don't know how you survive your marvelous expeditions. I am so glad I
asked the opinion of such experienced people. I will from here on out hold
mountain bike weekend warriors in the highest esteem. Mountain bikers rule
.... the world would not turn without them. And people die in the wilderness
frequently here!!! I did not know there was such a fear of anything so easy
to surmount. perhaps that fact that I have survived many wilderness
experiences means I am to good to be a mountain biker and I definately would
not want to ruin your good names

Cheers and get a life

Old July 10th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Luke wrote:

Cheers and get a life

You trolls need to get lives.

Greg

Old July 10th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

Luke wrote:

Cheers and get a life

Have fun.

You asked advice from experienced locals, got the requested advice, and
then chose to disregard it. You'll probably live, have a good time
even. But lucking out on one trip doesn't mean you're not an idiot.
Keep up this attitude and you're in for serious trouble, sooner or
later.

I just hope nobody else has to risk their neck saving your sorry ass.
But they probably will, and you probably won't get it even then.

CC

Old July 11th 06, 08:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
BB

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 21:17:25 -0700, Luke wrote:

Geez ... You mountain bikers are so knowledgeable in the outdoors.
I don't know how you survive your marvelous expeditions. I am so glad I
asked the opinion of such experienced people.

Well you came across as a complete imbecile, so there was no reason to
expect your survival knowledge was any better than you zero cycling
knowledge. Its been a very dry summer and lot of creeks have dried up, you
know (lemme guess, it never crossed your mind). We're always being told
not to drink that water, but you're the big badass so it should be no
problem. Or maybe you have a filter? Doubtful. Sure, I've drunk creek
water several times and never got sick, but I was never having to depend
on it 50 miles from a trailhead where would being sick would be a problem.

Fortunately for you, you'll be riding a bike that even the manufacturer
won't go so far as to call a mountain bike, and it sounds like the trail
is way beyond your skill level, and when something breaks you'll have no
clue how to fix it. You'll never make it 50 miles in. Happy pushing.

Old July 11th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

puke wrote:
snip not so elaborate troll

Go jump in Diamond Lake.