The Man sans drugs

Old August 14th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jack Maars

Default The Man sans drugs

Lets forget these new guys and drugs in the sport and remember
the Man for a moment.

Greg LeMond

A Legacy of Cycling Innovation

a.. 1978 alloy seat rails

b.. 1979 superlight frame

c.. 1981 elevated seat position

d.. 1984 cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet

e.. 1985 sport shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor

f.. 1986 clipless pedals, carbon frames

g.. 1987 carbon fork

h.. 1989 floating pedals, aero handlebars

i.. 1990 drop-in bars

j.. 1991 road racing suspension fork, titanium frame

k.. 1992 electronic shifting, downloadable bikes

l.. 1995 Develops LeMond Racing Cycles - now part of Trek Manufacturing

m.. 2002 Founds LeMond Fitness - flagship product is the LeMond RevMaster - Leading
Indoor Group Cycling Bike

n.. 2005 Introduces g-force RT - Revolutionary Recumbent Exercise Bike

Old August 14th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:
[...]

So the brutha had sponsorships from Avocet, Oakley, Giro and Scott. His
team was sponsored by Look. Why you dissin? I don't ever remember
Lemond claiming to be an innovator in the sport. Most of these
products you cite are things that already existed on the market. Scott
"tri" bars had been on the market for at least 3 years before Lemond
used them in the tour. Lemond just made all this stuff more popular.

I will say this: Before Lemond's Oakleys, virtually no one wore
sunglasses in races. Virtually no one used cyclo- computers in races.
HRMs were not new, but Lemond most definitely helped popularize them.

Old August 15th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:
Jack Maars wrote:
[...]

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Nothing
whatsoever in the OPs post was in any way disrespectful of Lemond.
Quite the opposite, actually.

Old August 15th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:
Lets forget these new guys and drugs in the sport and remember
the Man for a moment.

Greg LeMond

A Legacy of Cycling Innovation
a.. 1978 alloy seat rails
b.. 1979 superlight frame
c.. 1981 elevated seat position
d.. 1984 cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet
e.. 1985 sport shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
f.. 1986 clipless pedals, carbon frames
g.. 1987 carbon fork
h.. 1989 floating pedals, aero handlebars
i.. 1990 drop-in bars
j.. 1991 road racing suspension fork, titanium frame
k.. 1992 electronic shifting, downloadable bikes
l.. 1995 Develops LeMond Racing Cycles - now part of Trek Manufacturing

You had me following along up until about he

m.. 2002 Founds LeMond Fitness - flagship product is the LeMond RevMaster - Leading
Indoor Group Cycling Bike

I could forgive him the stupid breaky Drop-In handlebars
(oddly, I saw a guy with the last remaining pair of those
just yesterday) and the downloadable bikes - who wants
to download a bike? What do you, print it out and fold it
into a frame? But I'm sorry, spinning bikes are not a road
cycling innovation.

n.. 2005 Introduces g-force RT - Revolutionary Recumbent Exercise Bike

Eeyarrgh. Just what the aging Baby Boomers need.
Lemond sure knows how to follow the market demographic,
but I can't wait until some assclown with one of these
in his basement tells me to get off the road. Fabrizio,
how could you endorse such a thing?? LANCE was right,
after all. I'm going to draw Xes on all the faces in my copy
of Greg Lemond's Complete Book of Bicycling, and then
I'm gonna go out back and burn my La Vie Claire jersey.

Finally disillusioned with the sport of cycling,
Ben

Old August 15th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:
[...]

you forgot finite element analysis.

Old August 15th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
solomon

it was easy to take drugs during lemonds career then now so you don't know
what he was doing.others were using speed among other things,in fact almost
all of the drugs used today were available.

Old August 15th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jack Maars

wrote in message
oups.com...
Fabrizio, how could you endorse such a thing??

Just something from http://www.greglemond.com/index.html.

Old August 15th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jack Maars

wrote in message
oups.com...

you forgot finite element analysis.

Before Greg entered the field flexible algorithms were
being run using Fortran 90, FEA software has really
advanced thanks to Greg's MARC program.

Do a web search for COMSOL Multiphysics and you
will find Greg Lemond's involvement is absolutely
instrumental.

Old August 16th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message
oups.com...

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Nothing
whatsoever in the OPs post was in any way disrespectful of Lemond.
Quite the opposite, actually.

Perhaps you ought to work on your own comprehension skills. LeMond
popularized some of the things noted but they weren't "technical
innovations" and in fact that TVT carbon frame he used was a piece of crap
and everyone that rode one found that out pretty quickly as the frame flexed
all over the place unless you were the 120 lb LeMond type.

LeMond did popularize other's innovations and certainly deserves credit for
that. But let's not pretend that he was an inventor or had some sort of far
sight.

Greg plainly has many reasons for being famous but he wasn't the perfect guy
by any stretch of the imagination.