Melbourne Around the Bay in a Day 19th October 2003

Old September 22nd 03, 03:29 PM
Al User

Default Melbourne Around the Bay in a Day 19th October 2003

hippy wrote:

...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...

A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
as clean as a whistle.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet

Al.

Old September 23rd 03, 12:06 AM
Ritch

Al User wrote in message ...
hippy wrote:

...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...

A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
as clean as a whistle.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet

Al.

While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...

Ritch

Old September 23rd 03, 12:48 PM
Andrew Morris

I use a tablespoon full of bleach, give it about 20 minutes, then rinse the
bidon (or bladder) and then add a teaspoon of vanilla essence to the said
bidon or bladder, then leave that for a day...

"Ritch" wrote in message
om...

Old September 23rd 03, 12:53 PM
gescom

I'm also thinking about riding ATB this year for the first time.

What's the traffic like most of the way? Do you have to ride on the
shoulder of the road or are road lanes set aside for the event?

Can anyone else share their experiences of past events, good or bad?

Thanks

Old September 23rd 03, 01:05 PM
Scotty

yep I use the dishwasher too...although I have put them in the bottom rack
only to find the element has melted the mouth piece/top...so only put them
in the top rack...doh!

and after a while they do need replacing as they WILL get used and abused
overtime and grotty on the outside.

"Ritch" wrote in message
om...

Old September 24th 03, 12:33 AM
hippy

"gescom" wrote in message
I'm also thinking about riding ATB this year for the first time.

Do it, do it! :-)

What's the traffic like most of the way? Do you have to ride on the
shoulder of the road or are road lanes set aside for the event?

I think (don't quote me!) that there are no lanes set aside. It
was riding along the road like you (well, I) normally would.
Traffic is not too bad given the early start, obviously heavier
at the end of the ride.
There are a few d*&ks that give out the usual attitude from
the safety of their cars and quite a few friendly drivers too.
Safety is pretty good given the sheer number of riders on
the same stretch of road.

Can anyone else share their experiences of past events, good or bad?

See my earlier post. The only "bad" thing I can recall, was a
really, really sore butt... yes... from bike riding! :-P

hippy