Fixing an old bike

Old September 24th 03, 09:32 AM
Suzy Jackson

Default Fixing an old bike

Hi all,

Well 'tis done. My new Suzue track hubs arrived, so I laced the back one to
an Open Pro rim and bunged the 19 tooth sprocket Sheldon had sent on it.

Next I took an old Campy Athena crankset, took off the rings, and plonked a
49 tooth TA ring (which I often use on my race bike) on the inside position,
with shorty bolts (again thanks to Sheldon).

Finally I pulled all those awful unnecessary derailleurs and shifters off my
old roadie, bunged the new back wheel in, stuck a chain on, fiddled for a
few minutes with chain tension, and went and had a play in the street.

It's certainly different to ride. I've already lost count of the number of
times I've unconsciously tried to coast, only to be reminded quite
forcefully that it's fixed. Going down hills is a challenge - though I've
not worked up the courage yet to wear cycling shoes (just joggers on the
back of the pedals).

Next challenge is to ride to work

Cheers,

Suzy

Old September 24th 03, 11:49 AM
Alan J Bishop

I remember when I took my track bike on the road - going great as I
headed up to the roundabout - no brakes, fixed wheel - bloody thing
accelarated, then I saw the car. Super tight sphincter!

How is the cornering clearance?

Alan

Old September 24th 03, 12:15 PM
Suzy Jackson

"Alan J Bishop" wrote in message
I remember when I took my track bike on the road - going great as I
headed up to the roundabout - no brakes, fixed wheel - bloody thing
accelarated, then I saw the car. Super tight sphincter!

How is the cornering clearance?

Not too bad. I use 170mm cranks. FWIW, it still has a pair of brakes.

Regards,

Suzy

Old September 24th 03, 12:18 PM
Theo Bekkers

"Alan J Bishop" wrote
I remember when I took my track bike on the road - going great as I
headed up to the roundabout - no brakes, fixed wheel - bloody thing
accelarated, then I saw the car. Super tight sphincter!

Two of my brothers rode track bikes on the road all the time. Their
technique was, to slow down back up on the pedals, to stop quickly
pull the back wheel off the ground momentarily, stop the pedals and
slide to a halt with the back wheel locked up. Lots of kids with fixed
wheel bikes did that. I never mastered it myself. I had the luxury of
a freewheel, and a rear only brake. My freewheel was the envy of my
street (until some rich kid got a Sturmey Archer three speed hub).

Theo
Lived in a country town with 6000 people, and a velodrome.

Old September 24th 03, 01:23 PM
hippy

"Suzy Jackson" wrote in message
Finally I pulled all those awful unnecessary derailleurs and shifters off

my
old roadie, bunged the new back wheel in, stuck a chain on, fiddled for a
few minutes with chain tension, and went and had a play in the street.

Bikes look really sweet without all that clutter, don't you think?

It's certainly different to ride. I've already lost count of the number

of
times I've unconsciously tried to coast, only to be reminded quite
forcefully that it's fixed. Going down hills is a challenge - though I've
not worked up the courage yet to wear cycling shoes (just joggers on the
back of the pedals).

Any idea of your maximum cadence? I've never had a cadence computer
that worked (Vetta C-20 cadence never worked from new!). I've only
ridden briefly on the 'drome so hills are still foreign to me.. but I don't
have dem brake fings...

Next challenge is to ride to work

I'd love to do that, but no brakes means no commute.
Although, I think I'm almost stupid enough to try it.. "almost".

How far away is your nearest velodrome?
Are you using a track chain?

hippy

Old September 24th 03, 03:32 PM
Alan J Bishop

Theo Bekkers wrote:

"Alan J Bishop" wrote

I remember when I took my track bike on the road - going great as I
headed up to the roundabout - no brakes, fixed wheel - bloody thing
accelarated, then I saw the car. Super tight sphincter!

Two of my brothers rode track bikes on the road all the time. Their
technique was, to slow down back up on the pedals, to stop quickly
pull the back wheel off the ground momentarily, stop the pedals and
slide to a halt with the back wheel locked up. Lots of kids with fixed
wheel bikes did that. I never mastered it myself. I had the luxury of
a freewheel, and a rear only brake. My freewheel was the envy of my
street (until some rich kid got a Sturmey Archer three speed hub).

Theo
Lived in a country town with 6000 people, and a velodrome.

Could be any number of places in Victoria or Tasmania....