Fixing an old bike

Old September 24th 03, 03:32 PM
Alan J Bishop

Default Fixing an old bike

Theo Bekkers wrote:

"Alan J Bishop" wrote

I remember when I took my track bike on the road - going great as I
headed up to the roundabout - no brakes, fixed wheel - bloody thing
accelarated, then I saw the car. Super tight sphincter!

Two of my brothers rode track bikes on the road all the time. Their
technique was, to slow down back up on the pedals, to stop quickly
pull the back wheel off the ground momentarily, stop the pedals and
slide to a halt with the back wheel locked up. Lots of kids with fixed
wheel bikes did that. I never mastered it myself. I had the luxury of
a freewheel, and a rear only brake. My freewheel was the envy of my
street (until some rich kid got a Sturmey Archer three speed hub).

Theo
Lived in a country town with 6000 people, and a velodrome.

Could be any number of places in Victoria or Tasmania....

Old September 24th 03, 07:30 PM
Sheldon Brown

Quoth Suzy Jackson:

It's certainly different to ride. I've already lost count of the number of
times I've unconsciously tried to coast, only to be reminded quite
forcefully that it's fixed. Going down hills is a challenge - though I've
not worked up the courage yet to wear cycling shoes (just joggers on the
back of the pedals).

Not a good idea, in my opinion.

I consider riding fixed without some positive pedal connection (either
step-in or clip/straps) to be an _advanced_ fixed gear skill, definitely
not recommended for someone new to the cult.

Sheldon "SPD" Brown
| I still feel that variable gears are only for people over |
| forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength |
| of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? |
| We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear! |
| --Henri Desgrange, _L'Equipe_ article of 1902 |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 24th 03, 10:07 PM
Suzy Jackson

"hippy" wrote in message

Bikes look really sweet without all that clutter, don't you think?

They sure do. It's tempting to lose the rear brake, too, except that I like
to ride the hoods, so having only one brake lever would be odd. It's turned
my old clunker into something really lovely.

Any idea of your maximum cadence? I've never had a cadence computer
that worked (Vetta C-20 cadence never worked from new!). I've only
ridden briefly on the 'drome so hills are still foreign to me.. but I

don't
have dem brake fings...

Maybe 160rpm? I have no speedo or anything on this bike - it's sort of
minimalist. Dem brake fings are a good look though. I'd be a bit worried
trying to stop quickly with just my legs, and it does make it a lot easier
going down steepish hills, knowing that you can lose speed easily.

I'd love to do that, but no brakes means no commute.
Although, I think I'm almost stupid enough to try it.. "almost".

We need to start a "road fork for hippy" fund.

How far away is your nearest velodrome?
Are you using a track chain?

Tempe, I think. About 20-25km. I have no car, so would have to ride over
there. I imagine I could set up a pair of bars with just one brake lever,
and only partially taped, so I could ride over with the brake, then take it
off when I get there. I'm just using an old (but unworn) Sedis 8 speed
chain, complete with powerlink thingy. That seems to work quite nicely.
The chainline worked out really well without fiddling - just the track hub
straight to the inner chainwheel position of a road double.

Incidentally, my presumed 126mm frame actually wasn't. When I pulled the
old back wheel out (126mm seven speed) it sprang back to about 122mm.

Regards,

Suzy

Old September 24th 03, 10:09 PM
Suzy Jackson

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message

I consider riding fixed without some positive pedal connection (either
step-in or clip/straps) to be an _advanced_ fixed gear skill, definitely
not recommended for someone new to the cult.

I shall amend my ways and use my cycling shoes, tho I'm afraid this is an
SPD free household, so I'll just have to use my Looks.

Regards,

Suzy

Old September 25th 03, 12:30 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Alan J Bishop" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Lived in a country town with 6000 people, and a velodrome.

Could be any number of places in Victoria or Tasmania....

Northam, WA.

Theo

Old September 25th 03, 10:04 AM
Andrew Swan

Suzy Jackson wrote:
I shall amend my ways and use my cycling shoes, tho I'm afraid this is an
SPD free household, so I'll just have to use my Looks.

Regards,

Suzy

I'm glad I don't have to rely on my Looks.

&roo