Newbie looking for tips

Old September 13th 04, 11:49 PM
jonjon

Default Newbie looking for tips

hi all,

I needed a new challenge, something that I could do after work when I
couldn't get to the beach kitesurfing - and now that the nights are
getting shorter this is more often than not. So what do I do? I gets me
a unicycle! Everyone thinks I'm mad!
I just got a cheapie (20" one £40 off of ebay) to see if I liked this
thing, but more to trash before I got something decent because after
seeing what you could do - Trials and Muni - I knew that I could get
into this!

So my bike arrives on Friday, I put it together in the evening, have
10-20 mins messing about in the house and go to the pub. Saturday I had
30mins or so practice in the house and after nearly wrecking it I
thought......outside.

SPACE! Balance with one hand on the wall and 1 pedal rotation.....2
rotations....... 6 rotations. 30mins and getting late.

Sunday evening more paractice ....lean forwards...... 10 rotations
..........lean forward......... don't know how many rotations!!!!! I've
got this!!! a bit of speed, fall forwards pedal more, start falling back
slow down! kept going to the right (my 'front foot' (goofy)) turned
shoulders to the left....50m to to the end of the street and round the
corner 2hrs riding mmmmmm?

What stopped me? MY LEGS ACHED!! Jeez, a great thigh workout.

So a few Q's for you pros -

techniques for slowing down?

and idling?

why do i get so much chaffing and bruising on the inside of my thighs?

--
jonjon

..... where's your big shoes and squirty flower?
jonjon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7862

Old September 14th 04, 05:30 AM
andrew_carter

Good to hear! You may like to check out www.unicycle.2ya.com for a
whole stack of tips and tutorials in the form of text, pictures,
instructional videos, and Word documents. There's a video on idling and
I think something on slowing down in the Word document in the 'Basic
Riding' section.

Good luck,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old September 14th 04, 09:03 AM
jonjon

thanks for the info, i'll have a good read through.

one other thing, but i guess it's just because my unicycle is cheap, the
saddle keeps twisting to the lefthand side (where my chaffing is worse).
I would guess that a higher quality unicycle would have a stronger clamp
and a more comfy saddle?

........... just waiting for this rain to stop - English weather!!!

Old September 14th 04, 09:11 AM
s7ev0

Great going, Jonjon!

I probably got the same cheapie uni off ebay as you, and it's served me
pretty well for learning so far.

The only thing I changed was the seat stem as I found the shortish stem
meant the seat wasn't quite high enough. When the new one turned up
from unicycle.com it was knurled, so that was the end of seat twisting
for me!

I too had the inner thigh chaffing for ages, but all of a sudden it went
and hasn't come back - I put that down to somehow riding better in a way
I can't describe!

My thighs are still aching though! I should've kept more fit in the
previous decades!

[edit] just a thought, maybe I was "clamping" too hard with the stress
of learning to ride, and need to relax to stop the bruising and
chaffing?

--
s7ev0

s7ev0

Where there's a wheel there's a way
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old September 14th 04, 09:47 AM
GILD

the clamping is definately the main cause of your chafing
try wearing cycleshorts to generally improve comfort
then get a decent seat
it's a small investment u can always take with u to upgraded unis and it
makes life SUCH a pleasure

the great thigh workout is a result of not quite putting enough weigh t
on the seat
u're still carrying a lil' too much weight on your legs
relax, sit down and u'll find u can go for much longer without the legs
giving out on u

i used a hacksaw blade to 'rough-up' the saddle stem on my first seat in
order to prevent the twisting of the seat
also get yourself a quickrelease clamp and loosen it when u twist the
seat back into it's straightforward position
if u force it against the clamp, u're just 'polishing' the rails it's
sliding on and u'll find the twisting gets worse

dont worry about the weather too much
u can practise idling indoors

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

Old September 14th 04, 10:48 AM
andrew_carter

Depending on the brand of saddle, the twisting problem might not be in
the seatpost clamp/frame/seatpost connection, but rather in the
seat/seatpost connection. Some of the cheaper saddles, for example the
Savage, have a system where they don't bolt directly on and instead have
a more bike-like connection which quite often comes loose.

Andrew

Old September 14th 04, 10:56 AM
MrBoogiejuice

It's easy for you to be glib about the weather Gild. Sitting there
(probably sipping a pina colada) in deepest africa bronzing you're
already bronzed self in the sunshine. The summer here in England's been
horrific(wettest August on record). Many's the day I've been sat here
browsing through the forum waiting for a break in the clouds so I can go
for a ride. Usually to no avail. Aah well. Atleast when global warming
kicks in (more than it already has) we wont be frazzled to a crisp quite
so quickly and we'll be free to ride around our post apocolyptic land
with big grins on our face.
Sorry to take it out on you Gild. But the weather has been utterly pap
this summer, and it's imfuriated me on more than one occasion.
Yours in dampness
Kit

--
MrBoogiejuice - Uni geek
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

Old September 14th 04, 11:19 AM
GILD

and u'll probably be extra bummed to know that when i visited your fair
isle in may of this year, we had stunning weather for our entire three
week stay
two days had rain in them somewhere
five days had some cloud cover
and we had 6 consecutive sunny days in Cornwall
your weather's not so bad

Old September 14th 04, 12:18 PM
jonjon

Thanks for the great replies and tips, (and sticking up for the poor
weather) I'm feeling very welcome!

I'll check the saddle out when I get home to see if it's lose under the
twisting isn't happening there, otherwise out comes the hacksaw blade! I
also think that it might be just a little bit too short (1-2cm). I've
also dug my cycling shorts out too.

I'm beginning to wonder if before long it will be worth getting
something a little better? So I'm sure I'll be asking for
recommendations there later.
This usually happens with me - get something low-cost to see if you like
it and get into it - I like it - get something better.

Old September 28th 04, 12:38 AM
jonjon

so here we are, two weeks later and what's happened to my skills?

been working too much and simply not getting out, though I have made a
discovery I'm sure a few of you have......... don't drink and unicycle!!
ok, so it was a good idea at the time, but the palm of my hand and
mobile phone in my pocket meeting the road didn't think so!

skills are developing in about 5-6hrs
- 30% of freemounts on first attempt
- turning left and right (clockwise/anticlockwise?)
- keeping within the width of a path
- more weight on saddle means I can now go longer distances

I put my seatpost up a bit and it's been easier.

It's nice to be able to ride a distance now, does everyone get looks of
great amazment and astonishment that you riding a unicycle?

I guess that the next set of hurdles are going to take time? Idling,
riding backwards and riding very slowly?

thanks for the previous tips. they helped me loads!

--
jonjon

..... where's your big shoes and squirty flower?
jonjon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7862

Newbie question: cleats on recumbents FLM Recumbent Biking 16 May 20th 04 01:53 AM
major newbie lil_ivy General 10 March 10th 04 03:21 PM
Recumbent trike advice for newbie kak61 Recumbent Biking 9 December 13th 03 04:06 PM
Stupid newbie question about lightening bike *John* Mountain Biking 14 September 19th 03 03:39 PM
Newbie question: Covering an attack? Stan Cox Racing 2 July 28th 03 08:25 PM