Mini V Brakes on a road bike

Old October 7th 04, 04:49 AM
Terry Cooke

Default Mini V Brakes on a road bike

I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site, they
say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

Old October 7th 04, 01:43 PM
Bruni

They work well. Slightly more attention to wheel true and cable adjustment
will keep everyone happy.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"

Old October 7th 04, 03:19 PM
Kyle.B.H

"Terry Cooke" wrote in message
I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site,

they
say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I don't like 'em. They have just a bit too much mechanical advantage for my
taste, i.e. the pads don't travel very far, so they need to be very close to
the rim, and when they do contact the rim, their breaking power increases
quite suddenly.

Another problem is that the low brake cable will prevent using a large tire,
and will interfere with fenders. I'd imagine that these options would be of
value in a road bike with these type of brake mounts.

This of course will vary depending upon the frame geometry and location of
the pivots. Canti's, set up properly
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html), will modulate
much better, and give you more room. I'm using Diatech mini-max's, so
perhaps the Tektro's are better.

If you still end up wanting mini-V's, I have an extra DiaTech (same company
as Dia-Comp) that I can sell you.

Kyle

Old October 7th 04, 03:57 PM
Ed Sullivan

"Terry Cooke" wrote in message ...
I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site, they
say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I'm just curious. What is wrong with road brakes? (I presume the
frame and fork have the necessary braze ons for V brakes.)

Old October 7th 04, 07:06 PM
Terry Cooke

"Ed Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
I'm just curious. What is wrong with road brakes? (I presume the
frame and fork have the necessary braze ons for V brakes.)

I'm just back to riding the last couple of years after a longer layoff than
I care to mention. The Galli sprinter sidepulls that were totally awesome
back when I weighed 165lbs are pretty marginal at my present 192. I put V
brakes on my commuter bike (a 65 Moulton) and they work great. I have been
mooting a replacement for my Reynolds 531 Trek racing frame, and thought I
would stick with steel, so why not mini V brakes? Terry

Old October 7th 04, 07:20 PM
Diablo Scott

Terry Cooke wrote:

I'm just back to riding the last couple of years after a longer layoff than
I care to mention. The Galli sprinter sidepulls that were totally awesome
back when I weighed 165lbs are pretty marginal at my present 192.

Try just changing the pads.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
MTB on road - just curious Saint UK 88 April 25th 04 02:35 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM