Mini V Brakes on a road bike

Old October 8th 04, 05:55 AM
Mark Hickey

"Bruce Frech" wrote:

I had them on a tandem and they were a pain to keep adjusted and they didn't
feel as good as any medium quality sidepull. You had to keep them very
close to the rims and they didn't center automatically after use. If a
sidepull gives you enough clearance for tires, mud and fenders then use
them.

BTW, I have canti brakes on the tandem I've had for almost 20 years,
and I've never, ever been thrilled with them. At best, they've been
adequate, at worst - scary.

I just built up the first Habby tandem prototype, and decided to go
with sidepulls. I've read (and written) about the fact that it's all
mechanical advantage - and that quality dual-pivot calipers have
plenty of mechanical advantage.

Well, I'm here to announce that I don't think I'll EVER have a tandem
with cantis on it again (unless I need really, really fat rubber
and/or fenders). The brakes (particularly the rear brake) is SO much
better on the new tandem that it's not even a contest. Dual pivot
sidepulls rule, doods.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old October 8th 04, 02:19 PM
David Damerell

Mark Hickey wrote:
BTW, I have canti brakes on the tandem I've had for almost 20 years,
and I've never, ever been thrilled with them. At best, they've been
adequate, at worst - scary.

Huh. We found cantilevers more than adequate - including some emergency
braking - although admittedly with a Suntour SE in the rear.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!

Old October 8th 04, 03:23 PM
Terry Cooke

"Charlie" wrote in message
om...
"Terry Cooke" wrote in message

I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site,

they
say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable.

Do
Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I have a touring bike set up with Tektro Mini Vs and Campy Centaur
levers and am satisfied with them. As a previous poster noted they do
need to be set fairly close requiring very true wheels.
This year we purchase a tandem and have it set up with Avid Shorty
canti brakes with Campy Chorus levers. The brake clearances are not as
critacal as the mini Vs and they do provide good feel/braking. Also
they do allow plenty of clearance for larger tires and/or fenders.
Charlie Myer

Looking into the matter a little further, I see that I can either have
Dia-Compe 287-V aero levers that pull more cable and use bar end shifters or
use Travel agents with brifters. I am specing out a road sport bike, so I
don't care about fenders. Thanks for all the responses everyone. Terry

Old October 8th 04, 03:23 PM
Terry Cooke

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
MTB on road - just curious Saint UK 88 April 25th 04 02:35 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM