Lightweight Rear Rack For 700C Road Bike?

Old January 9th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Lightweight Rear Rack For 700C Road Bike?

In rec.bicycles.misc Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.

Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Skip the rack altogether. A Carradice SQR rack is lighter than a
rack + bag combination. It's easier to pop on and off. Easier to
swap between bikes. Depending on what you get, it may carry more
also. Additionally, you can buy a harness to make it into a backpack
off the bike.

By virtue of it's position behind the saddle, it's in your rain and
wind shadow. The material is extremely water resistant. I live
in Seattle and bike all year round, and I have not had problems with
things getting wet.

I've had mine for about a year now and I love it... Did that sound
like a used car commercial to everyone else?

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/sqr-products.htm

I have the touring model, which has been good for carrying lunch,
clothes, tools, laptop, library books, bike parts, wallet contents,
take out from chinese restaurants, etc.

One of my co-workers has just bought the slim version, which fits
his laptop and what-not better (he needs to take his back and forth
more often than I do). He previously used panniers, and he finds
the SQR much better because he can just pop it off the bike in about
two seconds and carry it into the kitchen to load it up. Another
three seconds to reattach and he can go.

I previously used a rack + trunk bags (for about two years), so I am
familar with them.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night