Campagnolo 10 speed chain tool

Old October 17th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

Default Campagnolo 10 speed chain tool

Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
third party alternatives that can also do the job?

Thanks for any advise here.
Old October 17th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

--

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 17th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
makes a difference to the gears.
Old October 17th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donga

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
makes a difference to the gears.
--

For campag 10 speed I've been using a Nemesis chain with tool-less
link, cheap from BikePro.

Donga

Old October 17th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Warner

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:40:45 +0200, Lou Holtman wrote:

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Apparently you have to get the depth of 10-speed chain pins just right, or
the risk of breakage there is fairly high.

Old October 17th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article .com,
"Donga" wrote:

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow
chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
makes a difference to the gears.
--

For campag 10 speed I've been using a Nemesis chain with tool-less
link, cheap from BikePro.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I am specifically looking for solutions
wrt Campag 10 speed chains.
Old October 17th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Artoi wrote:
Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
third party alternatives that can also do the job?

Thanks for any advise here.
--

Any good quality, shop level tool that pushes the pin in straight will
work BUT, the Campag tool, with the metal clip that holds the links

Old October 17th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
makes a difference to the gears.

We sell the 6.2 for Wipperman/Mavic and old Campag 10s chains and the
6.05mm one for shimano 10s chains and the new, narrower, Campag 10s
chain-works great.

Old October 17th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears?

Yes for 4 years now (C10 and the 6.2 mm Connex/Wipperman link) and for 6
months (6.0 mm and a Campy Ulta Narrow chain).
No problems. Everyone who is messing with special pins(Shimano), special
tools (Campy) and special links (Campy) is nuts ;-)

As a minimum, I
note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
makes a difference to the gears.

I don't know what you mean.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 17th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenny

Artoi wrote:
Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
third party alternatives that can also do the job?

Thanks for any advise here.
--

I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."

campagnolo jumping chain M. Bakunin Techniques 6 August 9th 06 02:48 PM
The Speed Trap - BBC1 Scotland Sandy Morton UK 305 November 19th 05 04:37 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
9 speed chain on 8 speed system bicyclette Techniques 3 February 19th 04 01:35 AM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM