German chains with special opening link

Old August 14th 03, 08:26 PM
Peter Gordon

Default German chains with special opening link

Andrew Swan wrote in
:

Bought one of these at my LBS tonight - always had Shimano jobs
before.

Anyone have any first-hand experience of them? I'm talking about
the 8/9 speed chains with a special link that you can undo by hand
when the chain's not under tension.

&roo

I've been using them for years. They are excellent.
To remove the link, first clean it and then squeeze
the side plates together, while pushing the ends.

Peter Gordon

Old August 14th 03, 11:16 PM
Jack Russell

I think they are fantastic, make chain cleaning easy. sometimes they are
hard to undo. The trick is to spray with WD40 so they are clean and they
undo at an angle. I cannot describe it better, I did find a web page
that showed it but have lost the link.

Old August 14th 03, 11:37 PM
Peter Jansen

Anyone have any first-hand experience of them? I'm talking about the 8/9
speed chains with a special link that you can undo by hand when the
chain's not under tension.

If you talking about the Wipperman ones then I found that the joiner
links break. I broke two of the links after about 2000 km, the chain
plates crack and then the pin drops out.

Old August 15th 03, 12:56 AM
Gemma Kernich

If you talking about the Wipperman ones then I found that the joiner
links break. I broke two of the links after about 2000 km, the chain
plates crack and then the pin drops out.

He's possibly talking about the SACHS (used to be Sedis) with the two
identical joining side links, each has a pin and an elongated hole for the
opposing pin.... gold in colour.
They even make a fancy 9spd chain with hollow pins for reduced weight and
corresponsding frightening cost! I've only used the cheaper one on other
half's training bike, easy to remove so it can be cleaned with the
coke-bottle-with-kero-shakem trick.
Gemma

Old August 15th 03, 11:53 AM
Andrew Swan

Peter Jansen wrote:
Anyone have any first-hand experience of them? I'm talking about the 8/9
speed chains with a special link that you can undo by hand when the
chain's not under tension.

If you talking about the Wipperman ones then I found that the joiner
links break. I broke two of the links after about 2000 km, the chain
plates crack and then the pin drops out.

Yes, it is a Wipperman - I forgot the name and was too lazy to get the
box from the garage! :-)

The joining links sound like the same ones on the Sachs chain as
described by Gemma in her post.

Hope it bears up OK.

&roo