Short wheel base for beginner

Old December 23rd 05, 04:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Short wheel base for beginner

Hello, I posted here a few times last winter when I was experimenting
with a home-built short wheel base bent. It was a less than successful
attempt. Anyway, I was browsing some older threads, looking for
recommendations on bikes for beginners. I see two are recommended a lot,
the BikeE and the EZ1. From my limited experience with bents, I think I
would prefer a SWB design. I have ridden a couple of LWB bikes and while
they do give a nice ride, I still think I would prefer a SWB, does
anyone have any suggestions for a beginner besides the BikeE?

Ken
--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old December 23rd 05, 04:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Ken M wrote:
[...]

Perhaps a RANS Rocket might be suitable?
(http://www.ransbikes.com/Rocket.htm) I found it to be a fun ride when
I tried out some SWBs a few months back.

The Bacchetta Giro 20 (http://www.bacchettabikes.com/jh-giro20.htm)
was also nice, but a little pricier.

It's an oft-repeated suggestion, but your best bet would probably be
to visit a decent 'bent shop and try out a bunch of different models.
Besides, there are far worse ways to spend an afternoon than trying out
new bikes...

Hope this helps,

Dan

Old December 23rd 05, 05:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Ken M" wrote in message
Hello, I posted here a few times last winter when I was experimenting with
a home-built short wheel base bent. It was a less than successful attempt.
Anyway, I was browsing some older threads, looking for recommendations on
bikes for beginners. I see two are recommended a lot, the BikeE and the
EZ1. From my limited experience with bents, I think I would prefer a SWB
design. I have ridden a couple of LWB bikes and while they do give a nice
ride, I still think I would prefer a SWB, does anyone have any suggestions
for a beginner besides the BikeE?

Ken

I would agree with the other poster that you might like a Giro. I own a
Rocket but believe you might find it a little twitchy to start but it is a
good bike.

Currently ride a Volae Team and believe it is a fine performance bike.

But if you can afford one I highly recommend a Barcroft Virginia. For me it
was the best compromise of speed and performance. Not quite the performance
of the Volae but far more comfortable to ride for hours on end.

Jim

Old December 23rd 05, 07:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Mike Rice wrote:
snip
I ride a LWB (Tour Easy), but I've often thought about trying a SWB
for a change. I lean towrds a Lightning P-38 but finances would
probably send me towards something like a used V-Rex.

snip

Heh...I'm in (almost) the same boat. I've been quite happy riding my
Tour Easy clone, but I confess I've dabbled with the possibility of
adultery with a P-38 or a V-Rex.

Maybe next year...

Dan

Old December 24th 05, 02:26 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Jim wrote:
But if you can afford one I highly recommend a Barcroft Virginia. For me it
was the best compromise of speed and performance. Not quite the performance
of the Volae but far more comfortable to ride for hours on end.

With a Barcroft [1], Bill Cook will have it painted any way you like
for an additional charge, after Rotator [2] builds the frames.

Be aware that the Virginia GT is a rather limited bike in some ways,
since the fork does not allow clearance for fat tires or fenders. A
Barcroft Dakota would be the better choice for all-around riding with
only a very small weight and performance penalty.

[1] http://www.barcroftcycles.com/bikes.html.
[2] Considering the quality of work Rotator normally does, this is a
strong positive for Barcroft.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 24th 05, 03:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Ken M wrote:
Hello, I posted here a few times last winter when I was experimenting
with a home-built short wheel base bent. It was a less than successful
attempt. Anyway, I was browsing some older threads, looking for
recommendations on bikes for beginners. I see two are recommended a lot,
the BikeE and the EZ1. From my limited experience with bents, I think I
would prefer a SWB design. I have ridden a couple of LWB bikes and while
they do give a nice ride, I still think I would prefer a SWB, does
anyone have any suggestions for a beginner besides the BikeE?

Hey Ken,

I think anyone with normal range gross motor coordination and balance
can ride a SWB bike such as the RANS Rocket or Lightning Cycle Dynamics
P-38 in reasonably short order, and with some experience these SWB
bikes are no harder to ride than a CLWB (e.g. the aforementioned EZ-1
SC).

One possible option would be to rent or borrow a CLWB for a couple of
weeks to adapt to the different quality of balance a recumbent requires
compared to an upright.

While there is nothing wrong with CLWB bikes (it is the best design for
certain purposes) they are not the best for riders interested in longer
distances at higher speeds. For faster club rides, longer invitational
rides, or extended touring a used RANS Rocket in decent condition would
be a better choice for the same money.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 24th 05, 04:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

I went on a search for a a first-recumbent SWB bike about a two months ago.
I'm 52, in reasonable shape, have good balance- I think (thought). I was
able to try a V-Rex, Lightning Phantom, Rocket, and a CSWB called a Spirit
by Velotechnik. The Spirit was the easiest to ride by far but. The Phantom
and V-Rex were not hard to ride but definitely introduced a learning curve
for starting and turning (heel issue). The Rocket seemed a bit easier but
also introduced the same learning curves. I bought the Rocket as it was the
least expensive and had received many good reviews. I've been riding it for
about a month in a suburban setting. It has been a lot of fun, still
struggling with tight turns, still struggling (less) with starting with
complete directional control. The experience has been fun but somewhat
harder than I thought. Rich

Old December 24th 05, 07:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Dan B. wrote:
Ken M wrote:

[...]

I have looked at that one. It looks like what I want. Well I want a p-38
lighting, but my funds may dictate something more along the lines of a
uses Rocket or similar, used but not too abused.

The Bacchetta Giro 20 (http://www.bacchettabikes.com/jh-giro20.htm)
was also nice, but a little pricier.

Definately a pretty bike. But looks like it might be out of my range.

It's an oft-repeated suggestion, but your best bet would probably be
to visit a decent 'bent shop and try out a bunch of different models.
Besides, there are far worse ways to spend an afternoon than trying out
new bikes...

Finding a dealer will be a hard project. The 2 LBS's here one sells SUNS
and the other sells Giants.

Ken

Old December 24th 05, 07:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Mike Rice wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:02:27 -0500, Ken M wrote:

Hello, I posted here a few times last winter when I was experimenting
with a home-built short wheel base bent. It was a less than successful
attempt. Anyway, I was browsing some older threads, looking for
recommendations on bikes for beginners. I see two are recommended a lot,
the BikeE and the EZ1. From my limited experience with bents, I think I
would prefer a SWB design. I have ridden a couple of LWB bikes and while
they do give a nice ride, I still think I would prefer a SWB, does
anyone have any suggestions for a beginner besides the BikeE?

Ken

I ride a LWB (Tour Easy), but I've often thought about trying a SWB
for a change. I lean towrds a Lightning P-38 but finances would
probably send me towards something like a used V-Rex.

For something even lower inprice you might consider the EZ Speedster,
although I haven't heard much about this model.

Indiana Mike

Well I was in the LBS checking on a part for my upright, and they had a
nice LWB Sun on display, it was the Sportster cx model I believe.
Althought it was a LWB, it was close to or maybe even in my stretched
price range.

Ken

Old December 24th 05, 07:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Jim wrote:
"Ken M" wrote in message

[...]

The Barcrofts are PRETTY bikes, definately one of the best looking bents
I have seen. But way out of my price range.

Ken