How to mount full size mudguards on bike with disk brakes?

Old May 1st 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How to mount full size mudguards on bike with disk brakes?

I wish to mount full size mudguards (http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?
l=en&a=product&i=6208801430) on a 28'' bike with disk brakes Avid,
Ball Bearing 7, road style (http://www.sram.com/en/avid/
mechanicaldiscbrakes/bb7road.php). Problem is to mount left mudguards
stays, disk brakes are a hinder for stays.

Old May 1st 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Vee

On May 1, 2:51 am, wrote:
I wish to mount full size mudguards (http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?
l=en&a=product&i=6208801430) on a 28'' bike with disk brakes Avid,
Ball Bearing 7, road style (http://www.sram.com/en/avid/
mechanicaldiscbrakes/bb7road.php). Problem is to mount left mudguards
stays, disk brakes are a hinder for stays.

If your frame and fork have eyelets, you can try Planet Bike full
fenders - they come with a long bolt and spacer to work around the
brake. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7027.html

Otherwise, you have to get creative with rubberized clamps and bending
the fender struts, or else try to use the caliper mounting bolts.

-Vee

Old May 1st 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 1, 2:15 pm, Vee wrote:
On May 1, 2:51 am, wrote:

I wish to mount full size mudguards (http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?
l=en&a=product&i=6208801430) on a 28'' bike with disk brakes Avid,
Ball Bearing 7, road style (http://www.sram.com/en/avid/
mechanicaldiscbrakes/bb7road.php). Problem is to mount left mudguards
stays, disk brakes are a hinder for stays.

If your frame and fork have eyelets, you can try Planet Bike full
fenders - they come with a long bolt and spacer to work around the
brake. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7027.html

Otherwise, you have to get creative with rubberized clamps and bending
the fender struts, or else try to use the caliper mounting bolts.

-Vee

Thank you. I would try to get Planet Bike Cascadia ATB

Old May 1st 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 1, 2:15 pm, Vee wrote:
On May 1, 2:51 am, wrote:

I wish to mount full size mudguards (http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?
l=en&a=product&i=6208801430) on a 28'' bike with disk brakes Avid,
Ball Bearing 7, road style (http://www.sram.com/en/avid/
mechanicaldiscbrakes/bb7road.php). Problem is to mount left mudguards
stays, disk brakes are a hinder for stays.

If your frame and fork have eyelets, you can try Planet Bike full
fenders - they come with a long bolt and spacer to work around the
brake. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7027.html

Otherwise, you have to get creative with rubberized clamps and bending
the fender struts, or else try to use the caliper mounting bolts.

-Vee

Thank you. I would try to get Planet Bike Cascadia ATB

I have a 700c cross bike with the Avid disk brakes and fenders (SKS or
Planet Bike -- I can't remember, and I ride the thing everyday). I just did
some creative strut bending and mounted them to the eyelets. -- Jay Beattie.

Old May 1st 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 1, 7:25 pm, "Jay Beattie" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 1, 2:15 pm, Vee wrote:
On May 1, 2:51 am, wrote:

[...]

Please, bring be some sketch.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 1, 12:50 pm, wrote:
On May 1, 7:25 pm, "Jay Beattie" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

On May 1, 2:15 pm, Vee wrote:
On May 1, 2:51 am, wrote:

[...]

Please, bring be some sketch.- Hide quoted text -

The rear fender is a Planet Bike and the front is an SKS. Anyway, on
the rear fender, the stay arrangement is shaped like a "v" on its
side, like this: . All you do is bend the top leg of the "V" to
curve around the caliper. The front fender has a single stay with two
rods that go in to a plastic end piece with a hole. That piece
contacts the bottom of the caliper/caliper tab on the fork and stands
off from the eyelet about 5mm, so I just washered it out -- no
bending. I used to have a Planet Bike on the front, and I bent the
stay as described above to get that one to fit to, and it did just
fine.

I cut up the Planet Bike front fender to fit cross-tires when I was
riding in the snow -- the nose of the fender (the very top as it
passes out from under the crown) was rubbing, so I trimmed that. When
the rain returned, I was getting a ton of spray off the top of the
wheel and put on a new front fender. Thus, the mix-n-match. -- Jay
Beattie.

Old May 2nd 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
crb

On May 1, 5:51 pm, wrote:
I wish to mount full size mudguards (http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?
l=en&a=product&i=6208801430) on a 28'' bike with disk brakes Avid,
Ball Bearing 7, road style (http://www.sram.com/en/avid/
mechanicaldiscbrakes/bb7road.php). Problem is to mount left mudguards
stays, disk brakes are a hinder for stays.

The other approach is to mount SKS Raceblade mudguards that do not
need mounting holes.

http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?l=...t&i=5288300000
http://www.sks-germany.de/sks.php?l=...t&i=5289300000
http://www.dahon.com/images/bikes/la...l/cadenza4.jpg