Mount V-brakes to a Disc-only frame?

Old June 7th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Bonnell

Default Mount V-brakes to a Disc-only frame?

I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

Old June 7th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 7, 6:16 am, David Bonnell wrote:
I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

AFAIK, welding Aluminum effectively requires special atmospheres and
extraterrestrial know-how. It's not something you can get bubba at the
Earl Schieb to do for a six pack of Olympia. And if he did manage to
get the bosses on there, would you trust them?

Some basic cable discs are going to be far cheaper than finding
somebody with six fingers that can do this properly.

Old June 7th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:16:10 -0700, David Bonnell wrote:

I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to use a BMX adaptor plate:

http://www.danscomp.com/489051.php?cat=PARTS

You bolt the top to the seatstay bridge and attach the lower tines to the
seatstays with hose clamps. I don't know if they're the right size to work
with mountain bike frames.
Old June 7th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dane Buson

Gary Young wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:16:10 -0700, David Bonnell wrote:

I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to use a BMX adaptor plate:

http://www.danscomp.com/489051.php?cat=PARTS

You bolt the top to the seatstay bridge and attach the lower tines to the
seatstays with hose clamps. I don't know if they're the right size to work
with mountain bike frames.

I'll have to look into this. There's a frame or two I'd like to try it
on. I'll have to see if any of my local stores have it on hand and
could measure the drop for me. Alternately I suppose I could email Dans
comp.

--
Dane Buson -
Klatu barada nikto.
Old June 7th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
. com,
David Bonnell wrote:

I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

Use a different frame.

--
Michael Press
Old June 7th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 7, 3:53 pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
. com,
David Bonnell wrote:

I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

Use a different frame.

There's always that $50 Nashbar steel mtb frame--now with free
seatpost. :-D It's the cheapest option, actually.

Old June 8th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset

On Jun 7, 9:38 am, "landotter" wrote:
On Jun 7, 6:16 am, David Bonnell wrote:

I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

AFAIK, welding Aluminum effectively requires special atmospheres and
extraterrestrial know-how....

Proper post welding heat treatment is not exactly a do-it-yourself
proposition.

I rode a bike for a while that had linear pull brakes mounted on an
older version of this adapter, fastened to the fork blades with
Jubilee Clips: http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?
PageID=49&action=details&sku=BR9121.

Old June 10th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®

"David Bonnell" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to build up a "cheap" bike to use my old bike parts.
Adding a disc wheelset/brakes defeats the purpose of this exercise.

Most of you will just tell me to use a different frame...but has
anyone tried adding V-brakes/bosses to a disc-only ALUMINUM frame?
Can it be done? Are there 3rd-party add-ons (i.e. bolt-on bosses), or
is welding an option?

Why don't you use long reach caliper brakes instead? No need for bosses.