Bicycling Stroll Through the National Parks

Old April 5th 04, 01:13 AM
spartanstorkbird

Default Bicycling Stroll Through the National Parks

I am planning a one year bicycling stroll through the National Parks
of the USA.
I hope to have an RV and a scout truck to go with us. I would plan on
a group of
about 20 people. We will free camp where possible. Does anyone have
any suggestions on how else to do this. Thank you.
Old April 6th 04, 02:22 AM
mark

"spartanstorkbird" wrote ...
I am planning a one year bicycling stroll through the National Parks
of the USA.
I hope to have an RV and a scout truck to go with us. I would plan on
a group of
about 20 people. We will free camp where possible. Does anyone have
any suggestions on how else to do this. Thank you.

What do you mean by "free camp"? If you plan on camping anywhere within the
boundaries of various National Parks with a group of 20 people it will have
to be in a Park Service campground. With a group that size that means
reserving in advance.

Like Zoot said, use tents, forget the RV. What do you mean by a scout truck?
Are you bringing a support / baggage vehicle of some kind?

Where do you live and how much time have you spent in the US?
--
mark

Old April 10th 04, 02:04 AM
spartanstorkbird

"mark" wrote in message hlink.net...
"spartanstorkbird" wrote ...
I am planning a one year bicycling stroll through the National Parks
of the USA.
I hope to have an RV and a scout truck to go with us. I would plan on
a group of
about 20 people. We will free camp where possible. Does anyone have
any suggestions on how else to do this. Thank you.

What do you mean by "free camp"? If you plan on camping anywhere within the
boundaries of various National Parks with a group of 20 people it will have
to be in a Park Service campground. With a group that size that means
reserving in advance.

Like Zoot said, use tents, forget the RV. What do you mean by a scout truck?
Are you bringing a support / baggage vehicle of some kind?

Where do you live and how much time have you spent in the US?

Mark,

Thanks for your response. By free camp I mean stopping anyplace we
can at night for free. As I understand it this is quite possible in
the Western USA. I was thinking of having the RV there for when we
free camp, we would still be able to get a quick shower each day.
What I had in mind for the scout truck: was to
have a small cheap pick up to go out and find us a place for lunch and
a place to camp at night. It also would be useful to transport the
bikes that were currently in need of repair beyond our abilities to
the next bike shop and to
give rest to whoever wanted to ride that day.

I live in Florida currently and have lived in the US all my life.

Thanks for writing.

Lee
Old April 11th 04, 05:09 AM
mark

"spartanstorkbird" wrote
Thanks for your response. By free camp I mean stopping anyplace we
can at night for free. As I understand it this is quite possible in
the Western USA. I was thinking of having the RV there for when we
free camp, we would still be able to get a quick shower each day.
What I had in mind for the scout truck: was to
have a small cheap pick up to go out and find us a place for lunch and
a place to camp at night. It also would be useful to transport the
bikes that were currently in need of repair beyond our abilities to
the next bike shop and to
give rest to whoever wanted to ride that day.

I live in Florida currently and have lived in the US all my life.

Thanks for writing.

Lee

There are places in the Western US where this is possible, mostly on BLM
(Bureau of Land Management) land. There are free primitive campgrounds on
BLM land, but they could be very difficult to access with an RV. If you plan
on travelling with a group of 20 people in National Parks expect to have to
pay for campsites and reserve in advance.

Instead of an RV and a truck, I would suggest two full sized vans (Ford
E-350 or equivalent). Pull out the seats you don't need, and carry camping
gear, people who don't want to ride, etc. in the vans. If you want to
provide showers, get a few sun showers (clear plastic water bags with a
shower nozzle, the water is heated by the sun) and a couple of portable
shower stalls. REI (www.rei.com) should have these along with all the other
camping equipment you could want. The vans would be cheaper than the RV,
easier to drive, and you could split the group up for a night or two if you
wanted to for any reason.
--
mark

Old April 14th 04, 12:44 AM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 04:09:52 GMT, "mark"
wrote:
Instead of an RV and a truck, I would suggest two full sized vans (Ford
E-350 or equivalent). Pull out the seats you don't need, and carry camping

E-150s will probably suffice. Same cargo volume, just less weight
capacity.

gear, people who don't want to ride, etc. in the vans. If you want to
provide showers, get a few sun showers (clear plastic water bags with a
shower nozzle, the water is heated by the sun) and a couple of portable
shower stalls. REI (www.rei.com) should have these along with all the other

Sun showers and similar items blow. If you've got a van, you could
certainly carry a home-made shower pump; mount a regular shower head
in a portable shower stall (home-made or bought), get an automotive
battery to power a pump, and get whatever pump you want. You can
recharge the battery from the van's engine. Then you just need
water; but that's a problem no matter which option you use.
--
Rick Onanian