Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Old September 10th 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 10/09/2019 11:34 a.m., Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 07:20:33 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/m5vqB.jpg

Does anyone know where to order some, I just can't find them! They are
my preferred adapter, and come with, I think, Schwalbe tubes.

Search for "Panaracer Valve Nut"
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Panaracer+Valve+Nut
Prices seem to vary from $1/ea to $7/ea.
This one seems the cheapest:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283609172914

I think one of the first replies to Joerg was to get something like
this. I would not try to kludge something that can end up blowing out
my tube and I don't even do the type of riding that Joerg does.
Old September 10th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/10/2019 12:20 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 07/09/2019 00:30, Joerg wrote:
Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for
narrow
tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't
believe it.
Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not
mind making
just about anything in the garage with hand tools. My
special thick
tubes have Presta valves.

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in
place? Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

In the short term forget it, nothing will happen. In the
long term I
would order an adapter up. Which brings me to these;

https://i.stack.imgur.com/m5vqB.jpg

Does anyone know where to order some, I just can't find
them! They are
my preferred adapter, and come with, I think, Schwalbe tubes.

Try asking at your LBS. Should be between free and cheap.
They are standard on some Bianchi models and with various
brands of tube.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 10th 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-09-10 01:26, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Joerg, 2019-09-09 20:38+0200:
When you move from one country or continent to another there is always
something you'll sorely miss. Works in both directions. For example, try
to find really good bacon in Europe.

Try /ventrèche/: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventr%C3%A8che_(porc).
It is quite hard to find anyway, even here.

Now that stuff I wouldn't eat ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 10th 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder
valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a
better, less fault-prone tube.

I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is one
significant advantage, ...

Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the rim.

Does anyone have an incident where a valve hole caused a failure in a
rim?

A bike rim is in compression. Other stresses are small, unless one hits
a heck of a bump.

Which one occasionally does after passing a sign "Pavement Ends" or
when it's California roads which often look worse than Romanian roads.
Potholes galore.

So on those surfaces, how many rims have you seen that failed because of
the valve hole?

What's the point? You wouldn't believe it anyhow.

Old September 10th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-09-09 17:18, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 16:42:12 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-09-09 15:36, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 07:24:22 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-09-08 23:21, Chalo wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow
tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it.
Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves,
except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better,
less fault-prone tube.

It confounds me to come up with a rational explanation for why the
recent crop of big wide rims (including fatbike rims) are mostly
drilled for Presta valves.

It's most likely because of standardization. Many small portable pumps
cannot or can only with difficulty be converted to Schrader.

Doesn't matter to me because I never had a valve failure with either
Schrader or Presta. Rummaging around and cleaning the garage in a few
spare minutes yesterday I would a mushroom-shaped furniture panel
connector made from hollow aluminum. Should be easy to make a nice
adapter plug from that and rivet it into the hole. I just have to find a
suitable glue to hold it in place. The E6000 I ordered for another
purpose (shoe repair) is still more than a week off.

Other than holding the adapter in place when changing a tire there is
no need to glue it in place as the valve stem will hold it in place
quite satisfactorily.

That's the main reason, not losing it when changing a tire. It's so easy
to forget about that little thing and then I may have to make a new one.

I might be able to widen the outside a bit with a punch which would also
hold it in place. Sort of a poor man's riveting job.

That is more or less what I did. I swedged a flare on one end of a
short piece of aluminum tubing stuck it in the hole and flared the
outer end just a bit.

Given the comparative amounts of time that the tire is inflated and
being changed it seems like overkill now :-)

It probably is. I never get flats since switching to thick
thorn-resistant tubes but I do have to swap rear tires once or twice a
year. Bicycle tires just don't last.

Old September 10th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/m5vqB.jpg

Does anyone know where to order some, I just can't find them! They are
my preferred adapter, and come with, I think, Schwalbe tubes.

Search for "Panaracer Valve Nut"
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Panaracer+Valve+Nut
Prices seem to vary from $1/ea to $7/ea.
This one seems the cheapest:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283609172914

I think one of the first replies to Joerg was to get something like
this.

That was posted by me because I use them on some of my rims:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.bicycles.tech/vkqO_t6SCK0/qFQ9YAGyAgAJ

I would not try to kludge something that can end up blowing out
my tube and I don't even do the type of riding that Joerg does.

Did you notice my calculations for how much pressure is being applied
to the gap between the Presta valve stem base and the Schrader size
hole in the rim?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.bicycles.tech/vkqO_t6SCK0/9-zgkMzjAgAJ
At 110 psi tire pressure, only 3.9 lbs (1.8 kg) is applied to this
area. I don't believe that's enough to tear apart the base, much less
shred the rubber (assuming that the hole in the rim is neatly
deburred). However, some dirt might get into the rim, lodge itself
between the rim and the tube, and grind it's way through the rubber.
Although I doubt that tire pressure would do any damage, methinks it
best to seal the gap in some manner, such as the recommended valve nut
or something similar.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 10th 19, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 8:13:55 AM UTC-7, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.

I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is a
significant advantage, but being French, I can assure you that Presta
valves are better by definition. ;-)

--
Tanguy

Well, despite your being French, I have to agree with you. The larger hole of a Schrader Valve was designed for old steel rims and not aluminum with about 1/10th the yield strength.

And I was disappointed for the French after holding the lead in the Tour for so long to lose it. It's been far too long since a Frenchman showed them what is what.
Old September 10th 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that
Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way
to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count
your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.

I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta
valves is one
significant advantage, ...

Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the
rim.

... but being French, I can also assure you
that in
general, Presta valves are better by definition. ;-)

Just like French Brie cheese for which there is IMHO no
substitute :-)

https://www.cheeseandburger.com/wisconsincheeses/brie

I've tried Brie from all sorts of reputable domestic sources, including
some from WI. I does not compare. Maybe the reason are our
pasteurization laws which I find exaggerated.

The best Brie and Camembert can only be enjoyed in Europe, preferably in
France. The kind when you temporarily and literally lose your breath for
a second or two after biting down.

When you move from one country or continent to another there is always
something you'll sorely miss. Works in both directions. For example, try
to find really good bacon in Europe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I agree, I find most American cheeses bland to the point of tastelessness.
Old September 10th 19, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder
valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a
better, less fault-prone tube.

I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is one
significant advantage, ...

Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the rim.

Does anyone have an incident where a valve hole caused a failure in a rim?

A bike rim is in compression. Other stresses are small, unless one hits
a heck of a bump.

Which one occasionally does after passing a sign "Pavement Ends" or when
it's California roads which often look worse than Romanian roads.
Potholes galore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Today I did 38 miles and 3449 ft of climbing on mountain roads. It was like being stuck in commute traffic. There are two main roads out of Moraga and one little country road. So what to the Moragan's use? The country road. This should have been treated as an emergency exit in case of fire, flood or earthquake but instead they use that instead of the main roads that lead to freeways. And the direction of the traffic is pretty much counter commute so there is really no excuse for that.

In any case the road is not in such condition that it is breaking down the hillside. The "No Trucks" sign is completely ignored to the point where there was even a double semi on a road with narrow 90 degree turns around Redwood trees. This truck came up behind me fast and then when I passed the tree he had to come to a total stop and back and start many times. Meanwhile I went over the top, flew down the other side and beat another 10 miles even though I'm now climbing at 4-5 mph.

Someday they are going to need that road to escape on and it won't be useable any longer. You can barely ride on it with a bicycle there are so many cracks and filled or not filled potholes.
Old September 10th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:26:19 AM UTC-7, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Joerg, 2019-09-09 20:38+0200:
When you move from one country or continent to another there is always
something you'll sorely miss. Works in both directions. For example, try
to find really good bacon in Europe.

Try /ventrèche/: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventr%C3%A8che_(porc).
It is quite hard to find anyway, even here.

--
Tanguy

AHHHHHH MY EYES MY EYES!