Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

Old September 3rd 19, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in t hat low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers
Old September 3rd 19, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/2/2019 7:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in t hat low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers

Might reform itself if you leave it fully inflated but then
again it might not.
More hopeful with a nylon casing (Panaracer) less likely in
natural cotton (almost everybody else).

Road tubulars are so cheap now I don't cry over them.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 3rd 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 17:50:31 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in t hat low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers

You could try taking the tire off the rim and inflating it to, say
100 psi, and leave it handing on the wall for a week or so. It *might*
regain it's roundness.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 3rd 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in t hat low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers

You could try taking the tire off the rim and inflating it to, say
100 psi, and leave it handing on the wall for a week or so. It *might*
regain it's roundness.

I wouldn't.
The angle at which tubular fabric is laid makes it constrict
on the rim when pressured, or turn itself inside out off the
rim which can cause deformation.

Old September 3rd 19, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Not to argue but I do remember from my "sew up" days that the first
step was to inflate the tire and leave it inflated for a day or so
before trying to force it onto the wheel.

Once you could get the tire onto the wheel you took it off and started
the glue phase(s)

Damn! 30 years of doing it wrong :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 3rd 19, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

My procedure is similar buy I get the tire onto a rim with no glue on either tire or rim inflate the tire on that rim. Then when i do glue the tire to a rim the tired goes on quite easily.

Cheers
Old September 4th 19, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 5:50:33 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in that low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers

Sounds like to tire sunk into the trough in the rim where the tire was touching the ground.
Remove the tire, let it sit with ~60psi/ 4 bar for a day, add another coat of glue and remount. Pump up to low pressure so the tire still compresses 1/2way when you lean on it, roll the tire on the floor for a a few dozen rotations or more to even the tire out all the way around. Pump up to riding pressure and enjoy.
Old September 4th 19, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 22:29:16 UTC-4, Oculus Lights wrote:
[...]

When I rotate the tire I can definitely see a flat spot a few inches long on the tire opposite the rim. that is the area of the tire that itself touches the pavement. The tire closest to the rim is perfectly round and even all the way around the tire.

I think I'll just glue on new tires and keep these ones for spares.

Cheers
Old September 4th 19, 08:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

Road tubulars are so cheap now I don't cry over them.

Any sewup tire these days is such egregious folly that it makes me want to cry. Might as well take the Angry Samoans' advice and poke your eyes out.

Tubeless is the up-to-date way to waste your time, make a mess, and be stupid.
Old September 4th 19, 08:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 00:11:48 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Road tubulars are so cheap now I don't cry over them.

Any sewup tire these days is such egregious folly that it makes me want to cry. Might as well take the Angry Samoans' advice and poke your eyes out.

Tubeless is the up-to-date way to waste your time, make a mess, and be stupid.

Maybe like them old guys riding those pedal bikes things when e-bikes
are just so much better - carry more, go faster, etc. :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Riding on flat tubular tire? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 June 8th 15 02:57 AM
Repair tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 November 6th 11 01:40 AM
road tire flat spot Bill Techniques 11 February 2nd 10 09:49 PM
Repairing tubular tire Mike Kennedy Techniques 19 October 27th 04 02:00 PM
What's the best tubular racing tire? Cheep Bikes Marketplace 2 April 21st 04 08:22 PM