Wrong wrong wrong.... (ON topic)

Old March 2nd 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Wrong wrong wrong.... (ON topic)

Well, there were a lotta things said by various 'authoritative'
individuals about my new carbon wheels.

Firstly, and most importantly: braking is as good as with any of my
alloy rims! Did a coupla panic stops, and some more gradual braking
during bombing a hill, with an anticipated turn at the bottom type
braking. Yes, the brakes did require a bit more modulation but
certainly I was able to stop and control braking as well as ever.
Yes, the pads are more spendy (unless purchased in bulkish quantities
on ebay - which I did) but they do work quite well.

Secondly: no, I did NOT have to correct the spoke line.

Anyhoo, the wheels climb like a monkey, spin up nice and are only
mildly affected by crosswinds (30mm section). Went for a ride
yesterday in 15 - 20 mph winds and had a great time. 18 degrees
ambient. God it was great to get out on the bike again!

Sorry (oh, wait, not sorry at all), but you 'nattering nabobs of
negativism' were totally wrong.

D'ohBoy
Old March 2nd 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_3_]

D'ohBoy wrote:
[...]

oh come on - being underinformed and not having any experience doesn't
mean you can't have an opinion!
Old March 2nd 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 mrt, 15:07, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
[...]

Was it wet yesterday?
Did you notice any advantages compared to the cheaper alloy rims? If I
remembered correctly they were on the heavy side.

Lou
Old March 2nd 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 2, 9:26*am, wrote:
On 2 mrt, 15:07, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

The cheaper alloy rims that weigh much more? Yes. To get a rim as
light (390 gms) I have to go to the IRD Cadence. Box section, non-
aero, wimpy rim. Destroyed the first rear I had because the single
eyelets pulled outta the rim with just 105 kgf on the DS in less than
a year of riding.

And to get a rim as stiff, I would have to add 180 gms *per rim* for
Velocity Deep Vees with the same section (actually not as aero as the
aero section on the Protech but the same depth).

So these are lighter than alloy rims with the same section by 360 gms,
and yet as strong as those much heavier rims.

And since I have the coin, I can enjoy the ride. Plus it was a kick
building the wheels as I am an inveterate putterer.

No, Lou, it wasn't wet. But I imagine similar performance from my
braking (i.e., the brakes will have to clear the gunk and water before
they kick in as with a wet alloy rim). And I will be wary of the wet
until I have proven otherwise.

Not persuaded yet. And if you do turn out to be right, Lou, well,
then I don't ride them if it's gonna rain. Generally don't ride in
the rain anyhoo, if I can help it.

D'ohBoy
Old March 2nd 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 mrt, 16:48, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
On Mar 2, 9:26*am, wrote:

On 2 mrt, 15:07, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

D'ohBoy- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

OK it is a weight thing than and yes they are quite a bit lighter than
similar alloy rims although 180 gr per rim is somewhat exaggerated. I
remembered wrong. I have no problem with it. If you only enjoy the
looks it OK with me. I gave you my honest opinion based on using Campy
Hyperon wheels for two years. My conclusion was that they have no
functional benefits and have serious drawbacks when descending steep
hairpinned Alpes were weight would be a factor.

Have fun with them, but your subject title is ehh.. wrong because I
was telling the truth and nothing but the truth ;-)

Lou
Old March 2nd 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 2, 10:12*am, wrote:
On 2 mrt, 16:48, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

On Mar 2, 9:26*am, wrote:

On 2 mrt, 15:07, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

Hi, Lou:

Agreed - your experience is yours and no one can take that away from
you. However....

Weight Weenies gives multiple listings for the Deep Vee at 580 gms
(!). This means that you are right, the difference is not 180 gms
per, but rather 190 gms per rim, or just under 400 gms for the set!!!

Huge difference in weight, more aero shape for the carbon rim and very
acceptable braking in the dry. More about the wet braking if it
occurs - but I won't seek it out

D'ohBoy
Old March 2nd 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jwbinpdx

On Mar 2, 7:48*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
On Mar 2, 9:26*am, wrote:

On 2 mrt, 15:07, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

Or you can get a Velocity Aerohead at 400g for $49. Perfectly fine
rime for most people. What is your finished wheel weight?

And to get a rim as stiff, I would have to add 180 gms *per rim* for
Velocity Deep Vees with the same section (actually not as aero as the
aero section on the Protech but the same depth).

So these are lighter than alloy rims with the same section by 360 gms,
and yet as strong as those much heavier rims.

And since I have the coin, I can enjoy the ride. *Plus it was a kick
building the wheels as I am an inveterate putterer.

No, Lou, it wasn't wet. *But I imagine similar performance from my
braking (i.e., the brakes will have to clear the gunk and water before
they kick in as with a wet alloy rim). *And I will be wary of the wet
until I have proven otherwise.

Keep us posted. Seriously. I would like to hear how CF works as a
stand alone rim and not part of a package wheel. -- Jay Beattie.

Old March 2nd 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 2, 10:25*am, jwbinpdx wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:48*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

On Mar 2, 9:26*am, wrote:

On 2 mrt, 15:07, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

Finished wheel weight is ~950 gms for the rear, about 560 for the
front. Rear is on a ~420 gm powertap, however. Woulda been about 700
for the rear with a tune or other high-end hub.

Anyhoo - yah the Aerohead is okay. Not quite the rim for daily use
for a big boy (~95 kg) tho unless you go 36 spoke.

Have a buddy who goes around 240 - 250 and he put his 36 spoke OCR
Aerohead outta true every coupla weeks. Finally talked him into
picking up my old pair of 36 spoke CXP-33s. Now he never has to
true. Complains the bike feels heavy when he lifts it but he really
likes how they ride and *stay true*.

Don't know why it took him so long to realize the Aeroheads just
weren't for him, even in OCR format.

D'ohBoy
Old March 2nd 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
--D-y

On Mar 2, 10:57*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

Anyhoo - yah the Aerohead is okay. *Not quite the rim for daily use
for a big boy (~95 kg) tho unless you go 36 spoke.

Have a buddy who goes around 240 - 250 and he put his 36 spoke OCR
Aerohead outta true every coupla weeks. *Finally talked him into
picking up my old pair of 36 spoke CXP-33s. *Now he never has to
true. *Complains the bike feels heavy when he lifts it but he really
likes how they ride and *stay true*.

My OC's have stayed true, including some riding at or close to your
friend's weight. And lots of miles @ 210-215 lbs.
I have one set, 32h, one set, 36's. I broke a spoke right before a
mile or two long section of pretty rough gravel road on the 32f. It
didn't go out of true enough to bother braking with a Campy DP front
brake, and finished the second half of the 55-ish mile ride with no
further appreciable deformation. It does have a slight wobble in it
now, but that rim has been "daily" for years now-- IOW, "forgiven", as
it has been smacked but good at least a few times while wearing a 23mm
tire. Good use from a light clincher rim that doesn't cost the moon
and stars.

Don't know why it took him so long to realize the Aeroheads just
weren't for him, even in OCR format.

I'm not saying the A-H's *are* for him. Velocity Fusion might be, at
roughly the same weight.

The Deep V might be more of a tandem rim ("heat sink") or for low
spoke count wheels.
--D-y

Old March 2nd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Mar 2, 6:07*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

Firstly, and most importantly: *braking is as good as with any of my
alloy rims! *Did a coupla panic stops, and some more gradual braking
during bombing a hill, with an anticipated turn at the bottom type
braking. *Yes, the brakes did require a bit more modulation but
certainly I was able to stop and control braking as well as ever.

Can you say what made them need more modulation?
Were they grabby? Was braking force less linear with
respect to force applied at the lever?

Anyhoo, the wheels climb like a monkey, [...]

And this means... what?

If the rims weigh less than aluminum rims, the difference
is on the order of a quarter of one percent of total bike
plus rider weight: not the stuff that significantly easier
climbing is made of.

Tom Ace