Wider tires, All-road bikes

Old January 22nd 19, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Wider tires, All-road bikes

Here's Jan Heine's latest on wide tire road bikes, or "All-Road Bikes."

https://janheine.wordpress.com/

I guess that link takes you to the most recent edition of his blog, so
when this post gets old you'll probably have to scan downwards.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 11:17:12 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's latest on wide tire road bikes, or "All-Road Bikes."

https://janheine.wordpress.com/

I guess that link takes you to the most recent edition of his blog, so
when this post gets old you'll probably have to scan downwards.

- Frank Krygowski

Good grief! They're wearing H****ts too! LOL

Cheers
Old January 22nd 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 3:08:51 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 11:17:12 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's latest on wide tire road bikes, or "All-Road Bikes."

https://janheine.wordpress.com/

I guess that link takes you to the most recent edition of his blog, so
when this post gets old you'll probably have to scan downwards.

- Frank Krygowski

Good grief! They're wearing H****ts too! LOL

Yes, like so many people, Jan Heine is a bit irrational about
helmets. Judging by photos in the magazine, he used to wear them
only when riding in the U.S., but not in Japan or Europe. More
recent photos show he's taken up wearing helmets in Japan, but still
not when he's riding in Europe. And in his blog posts, he's
indicated a fair amount of helmet skepticism. But one sits on his
head in almost all photos.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 23rd 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:19:31 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

A helmet isn't going to save your life but is sure as hell can save your scalp.
Old January 23rd 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 1/22/2019 5:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

Well that's exactly it, you see: as you get older, you got less and less
scalp, so it becomes more precious.
Old January 23rd 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 13:19:29 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

And in his blog posts, he's
indicated a fair amount of helmet skepticism. But one sits on his
head in almost all photos.

The helmets in the photos protect him from idiots.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old January 23rd 19, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

And in his blog posts, he's
indicated a fair amount of helmet skepticism. But one sits on his
head in almost all photos.

The helmets in the photos protect him from idiots.

In a sense, that might be true.

This article
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/comm...a-bike-helmet/
by a former editor of Bicycling magazine mentions the fact that any time
they published a photo of a rider without a helmet, they'd get an
avalanche of complaints.

Helmeteers are weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 23rd 19, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

And in his blog posts, he's
indicated a fair amount of helmet skepticism. But one sits on his
head in almost all photos.

The helmets in the photos protect him from idiots.

In a sense, that might be true.

That was true in case of my last crash 2 months ago because of an idiot coming out of the bushes in the dark. I was not wearing a helmet. I can't remember anything about the crash, going to hospital in an ambulance and most of the treatment in the hospital. I didn't passed out but just can't remember anything for 3 hours. Very weird. Still figuring out if I have to reconsider my helmet position as I realized that I can't anticipate all the stupid actions of other people but on the other hand I didn't die. For the time being I wear a helmet every ride now as I still have short moments of dizziness. YMMV.

Lou
Old January 23rd 19, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 1/22/2019 10:17 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's latest on wide tire road bikes, or "All-Road Bikes."

https://janheine.wordpress.com/

I guess that link takes you to the most recent edition of his blog, so
when this post gets old you'll probably have to scan downwards.

- Frank Krygowski

Wider tires is something that could help a lot of 'normal' riders, but
running fat(ter) tires also requires running fatter rims for them to
work well--and most people still don't bother with that part.

I've seen online a lot where someone says that they have a bike with
30mm tires and ask if they can put ~45's or whatever on it... -and
everyone else says "yea sure, if the tires will fit in the
frame/fenders". And it's true that it works, but it works lousy. I'm
usually the only one pointing out that you don't get the full benefit of
fatter tires unless you move to wider rims as well.

It goes something like this:
1. The only reason to run fatter tires is to run them at lower
pressures, to absorb road bumps better.
2. But if you get wide tires and mount them on narrow rims, then you
have to keep them inflated to fairly-high pressures to keep them from
squirming and folding over in turns.
3. So if you mount a fat tire on a skinny rim, all you end up with is a
much heavier, hard-riding tire. The fatter tire's greater cushioning
ability is lost with the raised inflation pressure that becomes necessary.

Both of my bikes use medium-width tires--one is usually 1.5" wide and
the other is either 1.4 or 1.75. The last major modification I did to
both of them was change them from the ~25mm rims that they came with, to
~34mm width "downhill" rims.

-----

As for Mr Heine: I consider him to still be green, as he hasn't
graduated to recumbents yet.
Old January 23rd 19, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 12:53:26 AM UTC+1, Doug Cimperman wrote:
[...]

I totally agree. A wider tire on the same rim inflated to same pressure (that is what most people do) results in a much harsher ride. I see no point in getting wider than 25 mm tires on rims normally used for road bikes.

As for Mr Heine: I consider him to still be green, as he hasn't
graduated to recumbents yet.

Who is this Mr Heine?

Lou