securing bike lock to frame or pannier rack

Old September 30th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

Default securing bike lock to frame or pannier rack

Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

Old September 30th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 30, 9:25 pm, wrote:
Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

Put it under some bungees on the rear rack where nature intended it!
Alternately, unlock it then shove the u part up through the rack
struts in some manner so it's wedged, then add the lock bar. I could
post a picture on how I do this with my combo if coerced.
Old September 30th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sam Salt

Penny wrote:
Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

There is available ( in the UK at any rate ) something called an UGH
bracket:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ab...et/5300006187/

There are three of them which fit onto the side of the rack ( two on the
top rail and one on the leg )to carry a U-lock or umbrella etc.

They work pretty well,have used them for quite a while.Only "problem" is
that if you want to attach a pannier at that side you have to remove
them but apart from that,no problems.

Sam Salt
Old September 30th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Sep 30, 6:25*am, wrote:
Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

Use the kryptonite bracket on the fork. That's nice and out of the way
of anything else you want to attach to the bike, yet always there when
you stop. Everyone who sees it wonders why they didn't think of that.

The style of bracket with a metal fitting on the lock holds the lock
quiet & securely --

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...4116/19979?g=1

-pm
Old September 30th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Penny wrote:
Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

See "http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=6994". I think this is
what you're looking for. They will ship to the U.S.. You can't buy
something so high tech in the U.S. unfortunately.

You could use something like this "http://www.rei.com/product/780549"
but they only sell it with a lock, and users say that it rattles.

If I were fabricating a holder for a rear rack, what I would do is to
buy a length of aluminum angle from Online Metals,
"http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=61&step=2&top_cat=60".

I would attach it to the rack using some stainless steel U bolts, two
attached to the top of the rack, and one U bolt on one of the struts. I
would drill two holes for the U bolt to go through, and I would put the
shackle on the angle with the U part of the lock hanging down. Then I'd
secure the bottom of the U with a velcro strap around a strut. I'd do
various rubber pads and shims to keep it from rattling

Also see "http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html" for a way of securing it on
your handlebars.

Some rear racks had a partial flat platform, and the lock shackle can be
on top of the rack, and the U piece come up through the gap, and it'll
rest against the rack strut on the outside.

Some racks have brackets built in, i.e.
"http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-119.htm"
Old October 1st 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
Penny wrote:
Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

See "http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=6994". I think this is
what you're looking for. They will ship to the U.S.. You can't buy
something so high tech in the U.S. unfortunately.
[...]

Penny is in Germany, no?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.
Old October 1st 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

Does anyone know of any novel/interesting and competent ways of securing
a small but heavy u lock to a bike frame whe riding? I had used the
kryptonite bracket holder on the seat post but that got in the way of
any tool bag under the saddle. I also had two break on me. There are a
lot of cobbles near me and lock used to chatter in the clasp. No where
else was any good on the frame because of bottle holders or brake/gear
cabling and the extra area required by the holder meant some areas were
off bounds.

I have that problem.
Bungee cord to the rack.
Drop it into a nylon pannier.

--
Michael Press
Old October 1st 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

SMS writes:

Penny wrote:
[...]

I just had a good idea. A block of robber with 2 channels each
side. Simply lock the lock on the pannier width ways. If there are bags
on then the lock can go in them anyway.
Old October 1st 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

pm writes:

On Sep 30, 6:25Â*am, wrote:
[...]

I cant help but thinking that would unbalance the bike horribly.

(probably also be obstructed by the front lowriders)
Old October 1st 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Penny" wrote in message

I cant help but thinking that would unbalance the bike horribly.

Experience of riding one-panniered bikes a lot suggests that it's quite hard
to unbalance a bike.

cheers,
clive