Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

Old February 10th 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:00:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:30:40 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 1:36:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:52:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Not only do they cost more but you can almost buy a pair of the GP4000's that so many people use for the price of a single GP5000S. It's probably more than $100 for a GP5000TL in a shop in case you run over a killer piece of glass in front of a bike shop.

While Continental is the most popular racing tires (Vittoria is actually a better racing tire IMO) the reason I would change is because the MAXXI tubeless tires I'm presently running feel dead. They actually look narrower than a 25 mm Continental but I just went out into the garage and measured them and they are identical. So I guess the Continental is deeper.

They now have Goodyear tubeless tires and perhaps I try those for the Basso. They are a little cheaper and my experience with Goodyear car tires is pretty good even though I'm pretty negative about a lot of things.

In any case, the Continentals are WAY too expensive and while the top of the line Vittoria I have are tubeless I will use them as clinchers on my Colnago.

I guess I will wear the Maxxi's out but only on economic principles..

The 5000S are 41 euros here, the 5000TL 56 euros.

Lou

Where can I buy them from here?

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Co...re-Set-p68415/

Shipping cost to USA euro19,95

Lou

Thanks Lou, I have a set ordered. $120 for a set plus shipping.
Old February 10th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:46:18 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

You are welcome. 120 usd for a set plus shipping? That is 106 euros, even less than we have to pay including shipping. Damn.

Lou
Old February 10th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 2/10/2019 9:51 AM, wrote:
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

--
duane

I rode 11000 km last year and had 2 or 3 flats. No way I going to ride crappy cheap tires.

Lou

Same here. I decided a few years ago that life is too short to ride on
crappy tires. But of course, I have the luxury of relatively little
broken glass or other road debris on my recreational routes. Even then,
I get 2-4 flats per year, but I'm pretty confident the tires (Veloflex
"Master" in my case) roll faster and are less "harsh" than the cheapos I
used to use.

In contrast, on my commuter, which had to traverse a few glass-scapes
now and then, I mounted "tank" tires that were unforgiving but nearly
invulnerable.

Mark J.
Old February 11th 19, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Just ordered a pair of 4000s last week from ChainReactionCycles for 48 CDN
each.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...&cat=prod uct

--
duane
Old February 11th 19, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:29:44 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

That is an incredibly low price compared to US prices. The price spread (US versus Europe) on Continental tires is always large -- much more than Michelin. TK owes us a complete review. I'm tubeless curious, although not curious enough to dump that kind of money on a set of road tires.

BTW, now my son wants to dump his carbon wheels and get a good set of aluminum rim wheels. He never liked the braking on long, steep descents. He gets pro deal on Shimano, but the pricing isn't that great -- $1K for C40s. He also gets deals on Mavic, but his cohorts are recommending against. I'm thinking maybe I should build him something on a DT240 hub -- 28 spokes and find a nice rim. What's a good 400-450g rim these days -- something with a little bling so he doesn't get made fun of? Any pre-built wheel brands that are hitting it out of the park? I like the HED Ardenne disc wheels I bought for my Synapse, but I haven't been paying much attention to pre-built wheels in general.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 11th 19, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 1:58:26 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

After my crash I replaced the rim of my dyno hubbed frontwheel with
https://www.bike-components.de/en/DT...ad-Rim-p64273/
very nice rim. Disc version also available. Would make a very nice wheel combined with a DT240 hub.

Lou
Old February 11th 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 09/02/2019 4:36 p.m., wrote:
[...]

Have you tried the 5000S? Wondering how they compare to the 4000S...
Old February 11th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

No but lots of hills. That seems to cause a lot more rear tire wear than
riding in flat lands. Some roads aren't that great and some are unpaved
where the fancy expensive tires failed in their side walls too often.
For example, when I tested Gatorskins three out of four prematurely
failed with side wall damage. One actually blew a big hole out its side.
Vee Rubber tires and many others do much better in that domain. They are
more sturdy. So now I am buying those which has also brought a nice cost
reduction.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 11th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:37:27 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 09/02/2019 4:36 p.m., wrote:
[...]

Not yet. I have a set in my 'operating theater' (for Jay) ready to be mounted on my go fast bike. It is still off road season here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wx7Xc2EZQHdbQTEG8

Wondering how they compare to the 4000S...

According to the test in TOUR magazine they should be better on every aspect (RR, flat resistance and traction). RR 3-3.5 Watt less. Total 6-7 Watt, that is significant.
We will see.

Lou