Designers vs. engineers

Old March 3rd 19, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Designers vs. engineers

New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 3rd 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

As you alluded in your post title, it's the Museum Of Modern ART, not the
Museum Of Excellent Engineering.

Old March 4th 19, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:12:12 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, you rode the moon bike? Tell us how that came about.
Old March 4th 19, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 3/3/19 10:12 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design."Â* Weird.

My eyes! My Eyes! I'M BLIND!!!
Old March 4th 19, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

wrote:
On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:12:12 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

Frank, you might have discovered the Spacelander bicycle hoax the Like a
Tesla car, that bike never was destygneered to be transported into space --
probably not even as ballast.

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

Good financial design: Glorify popularly admired, but mildly exotic stuff
from the era of your sponsors' youth that they didn't actually have to use /
suffer from actually using.

Frank, you rode the moon bike? Tell us how that came about.

+1
Old March 4th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 2:03:54 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Half that stuff is still in the current Herman Miller and Knoll catalogs and is very useful -- if not over-priced. I don't think there is anything weird about a display of midcentury designs, although the curator could have done a better job of it.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 4th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 11:35:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 3:12:12 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, you rode the moon bike? Tell us how that came about.

It was back in the 1980s or maybe 1990s at some big bike
rally. Maybe in Michigan, but I'm not sure.

They had a bunch of oddball bikes at that one, and
people were allowed to test ride some of them. That
was one.

At other rallies, I got to do a short ride on my first
ever recumbent (Avatar 2000) and a British upright
racing tricycle. The Avatar was frustrating for 100 feet
or so, until I was able to relax and let it do its own
balancing. The tricycle was just scary - it seemed
very unstable.

My wife and I also got to try a semi-recumbent tandem,
I forget the brand name, where she was in a front
recumbent seat but I was on a normal upright seat behind
her. That worked surprisingly well, but I guess it
didn't make it in the market.

At those rallies and other places I've gotten to ride
"ordinaries" or high-wheelers and other odd machines.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 4th 19, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Semi-recumbent tandems are truly a niche market, but they do exist. The
Hase Pino is perhaps the best known one. It does solve the "if you're not
the lead dog, the view never changes" problem with regular tandems.

https://hasebikes.com/95-1-Tandem-PINO-ALLROUND.html
Old March 4th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

I sometimes see a couple riding one of those on the local path. If you
want to converse easily with your stoker it seems like the way to go.

Old March 4th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 4:12:12 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) currently features an exhibition
called "The Value of Good Design." See

https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5032

Unfortunately, they include the 1960's Spacelander bicycle as an example
of good design! See
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibi...image_index=34

I took one for a brief test ride many years ago. MoMA's standards are
certainly far different from mine. It's hard to imagine a heavier,
clumsier rattletrap of a bike. Heck, I'd prefer that Fiat 500!

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The I look at it a designer designs something and the engineer(s) tell whether it will work or not.

Cheers

Helmet Engineers DirtRoadie Techniques 0 August 7th 10 05:01 PM
Helmet Engineers Peter Cole[_2_] Techniques 0 August 7th 10 01:25 PM
What is the Link Between Engineers and Unicycles? mafiamike Unicycling 82 September 8th 07 04:18 AM
Engineers SteveA Australia 45 June 27th 05 04:23 AM
Traffic engineers: braindead? Rich UK 35 May 22nd 05 09:55 AM