How long should pedals last?

Old March 20th 18, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default How long should pedals last?

On 3/19/2018 10:02 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/19/2018 3:51 PM, wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:46:05 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
Yesterday one of the pedals on my road bike started
making noise. By the
end of the ride there was a large amount of play on the
pedal axle. I
was waiting for the whole thing to disintegrate but I
made it home.

I ordered some new MKS pedals this morning, but I'm
wondering what kind
of mileage I should get out of a set of pedals. These are
the original
pedals that came with my Specialized Sirrus. They are
plaform pedals,
since I prefer toe-clips to SPD.

Also breaking yesterday was my Nashbar floor pump, after
fixing a flat
on my wife's bicycle (and the glue in my REMA patch kit
was dried up)
the check valve was flaky and the handle also kept coming
out of the
tube section. Pumped up the tires with my old Zefal HPX.
Ordered a new
pump along with the pedals.

Ate lunch in Shallow Alto where Apple was having some
Apple Pay
promotion at a bunch of stores and restaurants, but of
course couldn't
get the lunch deal with my Android phone. This was
iDiscrimination.

Came home and there had been a power failure and my
Internet was down
because the UPS had blown.

My Campag NR pedals are still serviceable after over 40
years. My SPDs are showing a bit of wear after 6 years.

I've got a set of Lyotard Mod 23s that I bought around 1975.
These things have zero sealing on the crank side bearings,
but they've got tens of thousands of miles on them.
Admittedly, they don't see much rain.

The bearings are remarkably durable in those despite
appearances but the top plate rivets wear through at which
point the platform falls off. After wearing out 3 pairs
(10~12 years each) I moved on to a different style. They are
cute, just expensive now.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 20th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-19 17:49, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/19/2018 7:33 PM, James wrote:
On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to
matter much what their price was. Then the bearings are
gone. Similar with bottom brackets. I have always lived in
or near hilly terrain which probably doesn't help.

My preferences are big MTB pedals, both on the MTB and on
the road bike. No clips of any kind.

My Look Keo 2 Max pedals have done probably 50,000km. I
think they are about stuffed. $100 - $150 a pair. I ride
plenty of hills and I don't have little gears. I have
inspected the internals once or twice. The grease is always
as new. IOW the seals have not let anything of note pass.

Maybe it is your mountain lions that kill pedals?

No, probably my habit of riding with very low cadence. It's from the old
days when I had to climb hills and only had 42/21. Now I have 42/32 but
often shift down too late or not at all on short uphill stretches.

Too bad they are not big platform MTB pedals.

Similar quality but larger bearings in platform pedals are a standard
product:

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/produc...apwi1egi9g4z71

Hey Joerg I can mail them to you in the morning!

They also make some that look less fancy but might have the same innards
for less:

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/produc...qwqy2jxpgnprvh

Ok, when the next ones go I'll try Truvativ. Looks like they belong to
SRAM and those guys seem to make better bearings than others.

Same happens with Shimano freehubs. Mine always develop serious bearing
play after the first 1000mi, then it remains somewhat constant and after
5000mi or so it suddenly gets worse and they are shot. One of my riding
buddies of almost same weight abd riding terrain has SRAM gear and there
it doesn't happen so quickly and that can't have anything to do with
cadence.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 20th 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 10:36:38 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 20/03/18 14:34, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 5:33:17 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to matter
much what their price was. Then the bearings are gone. Similar
with bottom brackets. I have always lived in or near hilly
terrain which probably doesn't help.

My preferences are big MTB pedals, both on the MTB and on the
road bike. No clips of any kind.

My Look Keo 2 Max pedals have done probably 50,000km. I think they
are about stuffed. $100 - $150 a pair. I ride plenty of hills and
I don't have little gears. I have inspected the internals once or
twice. The grease is always as new. IOW the seals have not let
anything of note pass.

Maybe it is your mountain lions that kill pedals?

Too bad they are not big platform MTB pedals.

IIRC, the last pair of those I bought were on sale $59 USD. They're
often on sale at Western Bikeworks for some reason.

These are only $49, but I'm not clear on what makes them the limited
edition.
https://www.performancebike.com/Prod...s%20&%20Frames

I actually bought a pair of those for the Synapse, and they work
fine.

I did mung a pair of the original Keos -- the release mech on one
pedal is all screwed up, and I haven't tried to fix it because I
moved to the wider platform -- and it may have to do with excessive
wear of a non-repairable plastic part. My first pair of Keo Max fell
apart. The body pulled off the spindle. I got those warrantied by
the shop and didn't have the problem again. It seemed to be a one-off
problem.

My work-horse commuter pedals are SPDs. I ride them in rain or snow
half the year, open the pedal, and the grease is pristine. The
labyrinth seals are really effective. The release mechanism gets
sloppy before the bearings -- at least on the el cheapo M525s.

No mountain lions where you are?

F*** that! We have real lions. http://www.johnlund.com/Images/Lion-...ntain-bike.jpg This is my commute to work: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0a/6b/b8/0...eme-sports.jpg

I wear an orange jacket so cars can see me, even on the trails. The cars are super scary! I have to buy new pedals every six weeks because the bearings cannot stand-up to the gnarliness of my trail riding. You wouldn't understand because you only ride on the road.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 20th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/19/2018 8:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

IIRC, the last pair of those I bought were on sale $59 USD. They're often on sale at Western Bikeworks for some reason.

Getting really tired of you rubbing in the fact that Portland has both
Universal Cycles AND Western Bikeworks. We have no such stores in the
entire San Francisco Bay Area, and I suspect that the same is true for
most parts of the country.

We have to buy online for most parts and accessories, no one is going to
spend the day driving around looking for a specific part.

I think that these Portland companies should open a store in Cupertino.
We have many tour buses coming into town every day and after they visit
the Apple Visitor Center they could stop at one of these bike shops.
Old March 20th 18, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/19/2018 3:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

A couple times, I've tightened the rivets (which are actually integral
parts of the steel stampings) using a hammer and punch or chisel.

Instead of "expensive now" I thought those were completely unobtainable!

For Christmas a couple years ago, I was given a modern copy, the MKS
Urban Platform pedals. I generously put them on the back of our tandem,
so I haven't actually used them myself. But those aren't expensive, and
the bearings seem well sealed.

Those don't have a ton of miles on them. Our tandem never sees rain,
based on my wife's preference, but I suspect the finish on those would
begin to look grungy after lots of exposure to elements.

Of course, compared to the 40-year-old chromed steel of the Lyotards,
"grungy" is a relative term.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Screw that. Riding on the road in Montreal is much gnarlier than those
cowboy wannabees out west.
https://tinyurl.com/y74y3ujn

Old March 20th 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:17:18 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 3/19/2018 8:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

IIRC, the last pair of those I bought were on sale $59 USD. They're often on sale at Western Bikeworks for some reason.

Getting really tired of you rubbing in the fact that Portland has both
Universal Cycles AND Western Bikeworks. We have no such stores in the
entire San Francisco Bay Area, and I suspect that the same is true for
most parts of the country.

We have to buy online for most parts and accessories, no one is going to
spend the day driving around looking for a specific part.

I think that these Portland companies should open a store in Cupertino.
We have many tour buses coming into town every day and after they visit
the Apple Visitor Center they could stop at one of these bike shops.

Bike Tires Direct is here, too: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ce-course-tire Incredible deal on a great fast tire!

Dirt is too expensive down there for these guys to open a bricks-and-mortar store. They can get the revenue via the interweb and skip the lease. You need some business with a higher margin to justify the rents and labor costs in the Bay Area.

At Universal and Western, I monkey punch my order into the website, get an e-mail that its ready to pick up and then walk or ride over there. It's sort of a hybrid process -- but both shops are making their real money on the internet.

What I like about Western is their head mechanic who is a hoot and makes steel frames and forks on the side. His father was a bicycle fanatic, so he knows all the old lore -- and he is indulgent with my story telling about the good old days. You have to humor the old guys -- who are the ones spending the money. That's what drives shop loyalty in the age of the interweb.

BTW, the real deals up here are from the local manufacturers/distributors like Rapha, Castelli USA and Showers Pass who have some incredible warehouse sales, but you have to go over there and elbow people in confined spaces. The annual Rapha sale is crazy, and I always go with my best bicycling buddy, but I never buy anything because even at half off, its too expensive. I do like standing shoulder to shoulder with people, trying on jackets though. It's like cramming frat brothers into a telephone booth.

My son now works he https://stagescycling.com/us/, also in PDX of course, and he just orders pro deal or from QBP, and I worry that his consumerism will get the better of him. Do you really need that? But its so cheap! Practically all my best bicycling companions are in the industry, so everyone gets pro deals -- except me, unless I get some buddy deal, and its not worth the effort. You only need so much stuff.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 20th 18, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/20/2018 1:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
You have to humor the old guys -- who are the ones spending the money. ... [But] You only need so much stuff.

I suspect that's the conundrum for the bike industry. I remember
drooling over items at the bike shop or in the mail order catalogs. But
I had higher priorities for my money instead of splurging on toys.

Now I've got enough money to splurge a bit. But after (ahem) many
decades of living and riding, I began to realize that no gadget or gizmo
or piece of clothing is going to transform my riding experience. No new
bike or component is going to make me ride faster or farther. I look at
advertisement after advertisement and think "I don't need that; I don't
need that..."

I suspect the "sweet spot" customers for the bike business a A) Young
folks fairly fresh into riding who still hope to become champions, and
B) MAMILs who are hoping to delay their bicycling senescence. The first
group doesn't care about having money, and the second group doesn't mind
spending some of the extra money to retain that glimmer of hope.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 18, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/20/2018 10:12 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I think that these Portland companies should open a store in Cupertino.
We have many tour buses coming into town every day and after they visit
the Apple Visitor Center they could stop at one of these bike shops.

Bike Tires Direct is here, too: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ce-course-tire Incredible deal on a great fast tire!

Tires have such huge mark-ups. I know someone at a club whose race team
gets about 60% off retail for tires, which is less than shops can buy
them for. Yet obviously the manufacturer is still not selling at a loss.
It's nice of the manufacturers to support race teams with these
discounts, but I expect that the shops are not thrilled about losing
these high-margin sales.

Dirt is too expensive down there for these guys to open a bricks-and-mortar store. They can get the revenue via the interweb and skip the lease. You need some business with a higher margin to justify the rents and labor costs in the Bay Area.

We recently lost Chain Reaction's Los Altos store which was a big loss.
I think that the space is still not leased. But it made sense for them,
their customers will still likely buy high-end bikes from their other
store, but not go that far for other items.

But there are places in the Bay Area with low lease rates. But the
owners of the buildings are always looking to redevelop so you are
constantly moving. My wife's office has moved three times already. The
last time they moved the building was knocked down the next day. And the
place they moved to will also be torn down in a few years.

At Universal and Western, I monkey punch my order into the website, get an e-mail that its ready to pick up and then walk or ride over there. It's sort of a hybrid process -- but both shops are making their real money on the internet.

Fry's is doing that now too. But when you go to pick up your order it's
either incomplete or they can't find it at all and they have to send
someone out to pick it again.

What I like about Western is their head mechanic who is a hoot and makes steel frames and forks on the side. His father was a bicycle fanatic, so he knows all the old lore -- and he is indulgent with my story telling about the good old days. You have to humor the old guys -- who are the ones spending the money. That's what drives shop loyalty in the age of the interweb.

I think that you need to buy an Amazon Echo Silver to deal with the
stories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk.

[...]

When my daughter was in college on the on-campus bike co-op ordered
stuff from QBP and sold it to students, or anyone, for just a few
percent over wholesale.

No wonder it's so hard for a regular bicycle shop to make any money
selling parts and accessories and clothing. Between Nashbar, Aliexpress,
Amazon, and almost everyone knowing someone that can get them a deal
from QBP or direct from a manufacturer, it's hopeless for these shops.

Sports Basement is a pretty good store and they periodically offer 20%
off everything in the store which is not a big deal for clothing, but
it's a pretty big deal for complete bicycles. Very nice people there,
without the attitude of some other stores.
Old March 20th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 12:33:59 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

QBP price is above OTC price at many of the internet retailers, particularly for Shimano.

IMO, as a shop, you either develop an on-line presence or a local presence with a devoted clientele. You can't be the old Schwinn shop of yore.

If you develop a local presence and a devoted clientele, you can charge outrageous prices for wool jerseys. https://store.rivercitybicycles.com/...eeve-10412.htm On sale! $.01 off! There is a huge amount of branding in Portland, e.g. https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...zumi-22752.htm

Some shops are cults. http://velocult.com/ or Rivendell on steroids, which is another kind of cult. https://clevercycles.com/brooks-bric...p-panniers-mud Has anyone ever bought one of those? I got my dyno light at Clever. Its about as Bohemian as they get.

-- Jay Beattie.