When is the best time to teach a child to ride a two wheeler

Old August 25th 03, 04:03 PM
Jean-Pierre Jacquot

Default When is the best time to teach a child to ride a two wheeler

In article ,
(Papayahed1) wrote:

R. Daniels at
wrote on 8/18/03 10:09 PM:

My tandem partner's grand-daughter is three years old. Is it better to
ride a tricycle or a bike with training wheels until the child is
ready to tackle a two wheeler? When is the best time to teach a child
to balance?

Hi Robert-
The last thing you're partner should do is try to "teach" him to balance when
he is neurologically not ready yet. I'm sure there must be some kids out
there
who are ready at age 3 (I've never seen them tho), but most kids are

My eldest son: 3.5 and the youngest: for his third birthday. I'm not
sure my kids are that exceptional. They rode tricycle at 2.

motivated
and able to accomplish this at age 5 or so. The one thing you don't want to
do
is to push him into it and make him fearful.

Yes and no. One should be careful not to frighten the child, but most
children are not riding two-wheel simply because they are afraid to get
the training wheels off. The trick is to get the motivation and to "push"
just enough. For my eldest, the motivatoin was riding over bumps, for
the second, doing like his brother.

Stick with the three wheeler, preferably something low and stable. The
motion
from accelerating, turning, etc. actually helps build the neural pathways
through the vestibular system that will enable him to balance well later on.

The low and stable is essential. Although I've seen kids riding
incredible things, a true and good bicyle is a valuable investment.
A little 12", with wide tires, real ball bearings and fixed gear allows
kids to ride early. I did not used the "scooter trick" (removing pedals),
but I would now if I had to do it again.

Jean-Pierre
Old August 26th 03, 08:27 AM
GEBUH

i heard that a good way to teach a kid to cycle is to take the pedals off of a
2 wheeler and let them push it with their feet- eventually they get the balance
and will be ready for pedals, i dont know how well it works but it makes sense,
and you'll know exactly when they're ready for a 2 wheeler- when you see them
pushing and coasting on their own. i wish i had known about this when i was
teaching my kids- it would have saved me a lot of running and a sore back
gebuh