long neck?

Old November 21st 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

Default long neck?

Depending on how long the seatpost is on this inside.

Quote the whole post next time, and stop trying to make me look like an
idiot when im not.

Theres nothing that supports your "double thickness near the clamp
area" thing either. You made that up.

--
SHAY_CAM

*UNICYCLE FOR _YOURSELF._ *
Old November 21st 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

peleschramm;1134245 wrote:
Why would a longneck frame snap easier?

I don't think it will. I guess the neck of the frame has a bigger
chance of snapping but not at the weld spot.

I didnt say it would, I just always have that thought about them, that
because the neck is longer, there is more leverage going on, so more
force being at the connection of neck and crown when doing flatland. But
like I said, its just a funny thought I have about longnecks, even
though they are fine. Haha.

--
Jerrick

'*290$ /$549.99*'
(http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa)[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Old November 21st 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclepa

Quote the whole post next time, and stop trying to make me look like an
idiot when im not.

Theres nothing that supports your "double thickness near the clamp
area" thing either. You made that up.

hahahah ok your right if you only put the seat post in an inch it is
more likely to break there

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
team YAMS member in your sig or title and say
Old November 21st 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

Jerrick;1134652 wrote:
I didnt say it would, I just always have that thought about them, that
because the neck is longer, there is more leverage going on, so more
force being at the connection of neck and crown when doing flatland. But
like I said, its just a funny thought I have about longnecks, even
though they are fine. Haha.

Eh, there's the same leverage either way lol, unless the longneck is
causing you to have your seat higher or something...

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

BillyTheMountain for President.
Old November 22nd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

SHAY_CAM;1134567 wrote:
Quote the whole post next time, and stop trying to make me look like an
idiot when im not.

Theres nothing that supports your "double thickness near the clamp
area" thing either. You made that up.

Even if your seatpost were shorter, I would think that it would be
much more likely for it to break at the crown of the frame.
1. Its where the weld is.
2. Its where the most force is applied.

--
Michaelgoround
Old November 22nd 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

If you didnt know, welds are stronger than the actuall metal.

--
SHAY_CAM

*UNICYCLE FOR _YOURSELF._ *
Old November 22nd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

Bending moment increases proportionally with the length of the lever
arm, so it makes perfect sense that the frames break at the crown. If
you have a longneck frame, the odds of it breaking near the seatpost
clamp are even lower. The new KH frames have a butted seat tube, so it
will be interesting to see where they break (although I can guarantee it
won't be anywhere near the seatpost clamp, unless you're doing some
really weird things to your unicycle).

--
Spudman
Old November 22nd 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

Spudman;1135659 wrote:
Bending moment increases proportionally with the length of the lever
arm, so it makes perfect sense that the frames break at the crown. If
you have a longneck frame, the odds of it breaking near the seatpost
clamp are even lower. The new KH frames have a butted seat tube, so it
will be interesting to see where they break (although I can guarantee it
won't be anywhere near the seatpost clamp, unless you're doing some
really weird things to your unicycle).

It was just a thought anyways. I figured if you only have like a 5 inch
seat post , and you land very hard on your seats front handle, why
couldnt it happen? its possible. I can see it braking near the crown
also, though, but not on the welds.

--
SHAY_CAM

*UNICYCLE FOR _YOURSELF._ *
Old November 22nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

SHAY_CAM;1135648 wrote:
If you didnt know, welds are stronger than the actuall metal.

If you didnt know, the process of welding causes hydrogen
enbrittlement, making the metal more brittle around welds, making a
crack or breakage more likely near a weld.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

_Marcus_Collings_'*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o **m*'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
*)---', 1mHighJump*
my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
Old November 23rd 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

I can see it braking near the crown also, though, but not on the welds.