Barry Island

Old May 18th 04, 10:34 PM
Keith Willoughby

Default Barry Island

Does anyone have experience of a good route to Barry Island from up my
way (Pontypridd)? Avoiding steep hills is good, especially on roads with
no pavement. I'm currently planning on Rhydfelin-Taff's
Well-Pentyrch-St.Fagans-Culverhouse Cross-Wenvoe-Barry, which
involves a steep hill with no pavement Going via Efail Isaf would
also involve steep hills. Going via Radyr would be better, except I
don't fancy riding through Fairwater much.

". . . it is the job of thinking people, not to be on the side of the
executioners."
- Albert Camus
Old May 19th 04, 10:23 AM
citizen142

Take the old Cardiff road down to Tongwynlais. Get on to the Taff trail and
get off at Hailey Park, Llandaff North, go through Llandaff City and then on
to Canton. Go past Cardiff City's ground along Sloper Road then on to
Penarth Road. Follow the signs to Barry. There is one stinking hill on this
route, just as you get into Barry, but you can walk that apart from that
this is the flatest route I can think of.

Old May 19th 04, 11:01 AM
Keith Willoughby

citizen142 wrote:

Take the old Cardiff road down to Tongwynlais. Get on to the Taff trail and
get off at Hailey Park, Llandaff North, go through Llandaff City and then on
to Canton. Go past Cardiff City's ground along Sloper Road then on to
Penarth Road. Follow the signs to Barry. There is one stinking hill on this
route, just as you get into Barry, but you can walk that apart from that
this is the flatest route I can think of.

Cheers!

They're parking camels where the taxis used to be
Old May 19th 04, 09:23 PM
Keith Willoughby

Keith Willoughby wrote:

citizen142 wrote:

Take the old Cardiff road down to Tongwynlais. Get on to the Taff trail and
get off at Hailey Park, Llandaff North, go through Llandaff City and then on
to Canton. Go past Cardiff City's ground along Sloper Road then on to
Penarth Road. Follow the signs to Barry. There is one stinking hill on this
route, just as you get into Barry, but you can walk that apart from that
this is the flatest route I can think of.

Cheers!

I should have taken your advice.

Instead, I decided to go for broke and do an Upper Boat-Efail Isaf-Groes
Faen-Peterston Super Ely-Bonvilston, then into Barry on the A4226. Bit
of a nightmare all round. Steep hill to Efail Isaf, *steep* hill after
Peterston, lots of other hills, the A4226 narrowed as it went uphill
with no pavement and 50mph cars - and all in blazing sunshine.

On the other hand, I'm feeling pretty good about it now.

We have always been at war with Eurasia
Old May 19th 04, 10:17 PM
citizen142

Well that will teach you! Still you will be that much fitter by now! That
hill from Upper Boat up to Efail Isaf is one mean so and so! Did it on
Sunday - but walked it, knackered just pushing the bike. Besides that is the
prettiest route. Good cycling.