Best road/touring bike under $900

Old July 8th 03, 04:48 PM
Slavko Vorkapitch

Default Best road/touring bike under $900

Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend
a lot of mulah. Can anybody point me to some models that won't break
my bank account ??

Keep riding,
El Squid
Old July 8th 03, 09:32 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Can you define how you'd like to ride? "Touring" is a pretty wide category.
Do you want something that you can load down with big panniers and carry
tent, sleeping bag & kitchen sink, or would credit-card touring (where you
stay in a hotel os hostel) be more appropriate?

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

om...

Old July 8th 03, 10:49 PM
Cori

Dave Thompson wrote:
"Slavko Vorkapitch" wrote in message
om...

Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend
a lot of mulah. Can anybody point me to some models that won't break
my bank account ??

Keep riding,
El Squid

Specialized Sequoia Sport.

Cori

Old July 8th 03, 11:02 PM
Tom

Go for a used one and save maybe half price or at least a fourth. Then you
can buy a $1200 or $1500 bike with ease under $900. Look at
www.sellabike.com I have three bikes listed there. A Diamond Back custom
road bike with all Dura Ace for under $900 and two Trek 300 Navigator's for
$300 each. Plus there are two Trek 2300's there, one for $1000 and another
for $700. There are a lot of good bikes listed there and at other web
sites. You don't have to over pay on ebay.

Tom

Old July 9th 03, 03:53 AM
Zeen

Check out the bikes at Supergo.com

Old July 9th 03, 03:36 PM
Slavko Vorkapitch

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote in message y.com...
Can you define how you'd like to ride? "Touring" is a pretty wide category.
Do you want something that you can load down with big panniers and carry
tent, sleeping bag & kitchen sink, or would credit-card touring (where you
stay in a hotel os hostel) be more appropriate?

Definitely not an off road bike - just a good bike for a Sunday ride
in the country. I'm starting to look at the Raleigh Grand Prix or a
Diamondback - these seem to be reasonably priced..

Slavko

Old July 9th 03, 03:58 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Definitely not an off road bike - just a good bike for a Sunday ride
in the country. I'm starting to look at the Raleigh Grand Prix or a
Diamondback - these seem to be reasonably priced..

OK, so by "touring" you meant normal riding, not loading down with
everything and taking off on a cross-country tour? If that's the case, you
might expand your search slightly and include a "Cyclocross" bike, which, if
you change to more normal tires, make excellent all-around road bikes (with
room for fenders if you wish, comfortable ride position, and very sturdy
equipment). In the TREK line that we sell, that would be the XO1, which
runs about $900. If you want something lighter, the TREK 1200, with a
carbon fork and lighter components, runs just a bit less.

But whatever you choose, make sure it's from a dealer that takes the time to
get you properly fit on the bike. A really nice bike that doesn't fit well
isn't going to be as much fun to ride as a lesser bike that's set up just
right for you. One will spend its life looking pretty (under all the dust)
in the garage, the other will be out on the road, every chance you get.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

[...]

recommend: solid road/touring bike under $1000 raciere General 17 July 11th 04 12:09 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Racing 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Comfort Bike ???? Mattearoadie Techniques 7 May 25th 04 01:06 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Best road/touring bike under $900 Slavko Vorkapitch General 11 July 11th 03 05:48 AM