Entry Level Bike?

Old August 11th 04, 03:39 AM
musashi

Default Entry Level Bike?

I have a mountain bike I picked up for $50 at a yard sale. 2 wheels,
12 gears, it has served it's purpose. I'm thinking this Huffy isn't
exactly even "entry level".

I was wondering if someone could throw out a few "entry level" bike
names for me to look over. Surely there are a few brands/models which
are known to be of a good value for someone who is past "just starting
out" but not going to do any heavy climbing or competing. I'm thinking
in the $200-$300 range?

Or maybe I should stick with my heavy clunker until I want to drop
some real money?

The local bike shop is great but they only sell a few brands and seem
to only point in those directions.

Thanks,
Musashi

PS. I know this is probably one of those questions that everyone is
tired of hearing.
Old August 11th 04, 03:42 AM
Andy Mullins

It is a common question and I'll give you the common answer. Go to your
local bike shops and tell them what your looking for. Ride different bike
and see what feels best to you. Find more shops in your area and try as many
bikes as you can. Recently I talked with someone that bought a Trek on the
basis of "Lance has one so I want one too". She doesn't like the way the
bike fits and the shop is working with her to make it better. Another person
took my advice of trying different bikes and liked a Raleigh the best.

Old August 11th 04, 03:44 AM
S o r n i

musashi wrote:
I have a mountain bike I picked up for $50 at a yard sale. 2 wheels,
12 gears, it has served it's purpose. I'm thinking this Huffy isn't
exactly even "entry level".

I was wondering if someone could throw out a few "entry level" bike
names for me to look over. Surely there are a few brands/models which
are known to be of a good value for someone who is past "just starting
out" but not going to do any heavy climbing or competing. I'm thinking
in the $200-$300 range?

Giant, Jamis, {drawing a blank}, etc.

Bill "up it to $300-400 and you can get something pretty decent" S.

Old August 11th 04, 05:54 AM
TJ

musashi wrote in message
[...]

Specialized has some good bikes in that price range. I.E. Demo 9, Big Hit
Expert, etc. Just kidding about those models. Check out the brand at your
local dealer. They do have good entry level bikes.

TJ
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

Old August 11th 04, 08:06 AM
Marko Pavlin

musashi wrote:

[...]

Check http://www.elanbikes.com

Tempter came with decent equipment for that price:
MANITOU Six fork,
SHIMANO Alivio / Deore derailleurs (front/rear),
SHIMANO Alivio shifters,
SHIMANO Alivio levers, M420 rim brakes

http://www.maraton.si/images/elan/tempter_v.jpg

Old August 11th 04, 06:35 PM
scurry

musashi wrote:

I have a mountain bike I picked up for $50 at a yard sale. 2 wheels,
12 gears, it has served it's purpose. I'm thinking this Huffy isn't
exactly even "entry level".

More like an "Exit Level" bike. Good to see it didn't convince you to
exit the sport. Lots of others have riding that level of bike.

Good Luck,
Shawn

P.S. Lots of good advice elsewhere in this thread.
Old August 11th 04, 09:35 PM

Seek and you will find at the local bike shop. Or all
of them with in your area.

I MTB 2004

Old August 12th 04, 02:42 AM
musashi

Big Thanks to everyone who responded.

One shop near me does almost exclusively Trek. The other does Giant,
Fuji and Cannondale. At least in Mountain Bikes.

Hopefully I can try enough models among those to find what works for
me.

But I think I'll be waiting until I have enough for the $300-$500
range.

I'm 5'7", 150 lbs(33 years of age) so this big ass 26" No Suspension
Huffy is kicking my ass. It seems that if I want something with a lot
less weight I should go Aluminum, which appears to run a little higher
in price.

Again, thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

Musashi

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:35:12 -0600, scurry
wrote:

musashi wrote:

I have a mountain bike I picked up for $50 at a yard sale. 2 wheels,
12 gears, it has served it's purpose. I'm thinking this Huffy isn't
exactly even "entry level".

More like an "Exit Level" bike. Good to see it didn't convince you to
exit the sport. Lots of others have riding that level of bike.

Good Luck,
Shawn

P.S. Lots of good advice elsewhere in this thread.

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Marketplace 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Entry Level Bikes vwyob UK 8 August 13th 03 08:39 PM