Getting Paint to Stick and Not Flake/Chip Off on Chrome (painting question)

Old July 23rd 04, 12:52 AM
Jack

Default Getting Paint to Stick and Not Flake/Chip Off on Chrome (painting question)

Hi, I bought the Qu-ax Muni in Munich today but because the the frame it
came with was ugly blue, I traded it for a generic 24" chrome frame. Now
I want to decorate my uni and have been searching the threads but mostly
people suggest powdercoating but I don't know where to get it done at
and don't really want to spend a whole lot giving my frame a color so I
was wondering if there were any easy ways on getting paint to stay on
the chrome w/out having it flake off. Not sure if anyone's done this
before but is there such thing as metallic colored magic markers?
because i think something like sharpy will probably stick pretty well on
the smooth chrome surface *shrug

--
Jack - level -0.5 unicyclist
Jack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7170

Old July 23rd 04, 01:22 AM
dubmuni2004

sand it and then spraypaint, or prime it first if you are an
overacheiver.

--
dubmuni2004 - bike? where, i dont see one.

dubmuni2004's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

Old July 23rd 04, 09:10 PM
johnhimsworth

Sand all the chrome off, spray it with a few coats of primer, then a few
coats of colour, then lots of coats of laquer (clear top coat). I did
all of the above exxept remove the chrome, and it's ended up alright but
it still chips rather easily.
Primer and top coat shouldn't cost much, and the bit of extra time is
worth it to avoid your uni looking pants after it gets a few knocks.

John

--
johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old July 25th 04, 12:08 AM
Jack

ok cool, yeah I'm kinda considering whether to take off the chrome or
not because the way i see it, if it's gonna chip, it'll probably look
better/have more protection from rusts and what not if i leave the
chrome on, but if I take it off, it might rust all ovver, im not sure,
but i'm heading to the homedepot right now hehe

Old July 25th 04, 12:27 AM
sockmonster

I had some half decent luck with enammal hobby paint, like the kind used
on model cars and airplanes. I painted the rim, bearing housing, and the
crown, and only a little bit has some off. (where the wrench hits it,
where my foot goes for one footing.)

I'll get if you put on a few coats of sealer, it'd be fine. Cheap, too.

--
sockmonster - Unicycling Instructor

"Just pretend it's a taco..." Invader Zim
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Old July 25th 04, 01:06 AM
cyberbellum

Take it to a body shop and get it bead blasted. Remove ALL the hardware
first and mask off the areas of chrome that you don't want blasted.

Here's a thought - use their special masking materials and cover the
chrome legs. Then marker flames or some other design onto the mask.
Use razor blade or sharp knife and remove all but the design. Bead
blast and paint around the design, then remove the masking material.
Voila - chrome flames!

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

I was standing in the park wondering why frisbees get bigger as they get
closer. Then it hit me.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Old July 25th 04, 03:45 AM
Jack

wow chrome flames, thats such anawesome idea! DANG. do you know how much
it cost to get it blasted? i just invested 30$ in paint, primer, clear
top, and sand paper lol =(

Old July 25th 04, 04:14 AM
dubmuni2004

Jack wrote:
*ok cool, yeah I'm kinda considering whether to take off the chrome or
not because the way i see it, if it's gonna chip, it'll probably look
better/have more protection from rusts and what not if i leave the
chrome on, but if I take it off, it might rust all ovver, im not
sure, but i'm heading to the homedepot right now hehe *

actually if you leave it there and do a light color over it, it will
look like a candy color

Old July 25th 04, 10:11 AM
Mike_Foote

if you want to guaruntee a perfect paint job get it sand blasted thne
prime it then paint it. but I dont know where you'd get it sand blasted.

--
Mike_Foote - Violinist and Unicyclist

Long live unicycling
Mike_Foote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6204

Old July 25th 04, 03:34 PM
Tellurider

I think you might want to consider returning the thirty dollars worth of
paint and finding a place that does powder coating. I have had two munis
powdercoated for twenty dollar each and it's a very durable finish
almost as good as chrome, and they had lots of colors and finishes to
choose from. I have heard that $20 is cheap for powdercoating, that it
can cost as much as fifty dollars. but it wouldn't hurt to look into it.
Try the yellow pages in your area and if you talk to them tell them it's
about the same as a bike fork. No matter what kind of prep you do paint
will get scraped up.

--
Tellurider - Dan Wilson

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972