Near Miss of the Day 468: Beware of this vehicle passing on the outside

Old September 12th 20, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 468: Beware of this vehicle passing on the outside

QUOTE:
Today’s near miss is an unnecessarily close pass by a driver who declined to wait five seconds for a safer opportunity to pass. You’ll no doubt have spotted the 'cyclists beware of passing this vehicle on the inside' sticker on the back of the van.

“The irony of the sign wasn't lost on me just after the van brushed the hairs on my leg,” said Glenn.

The incident occurred in Rochford, Essex, but Glenn said he’d been reluctant to send it before now.

“I've held back since July to let Essex Police work their magic – but I get the distinct impression there's not much magic going on.”

Writing on the YouTube page, he added: “Essex police discourage sharing of these videos but then have a caveat on their upload page that due to Covid restrictions a prosecution is currently very unlikely.”

Glenn said the incident took place about two minutes after leaving his house.

“I've let it run a little afterwards just so you can see how much room the van would have had to pass five seconds later, and also to see them turning right just 100 yards further up the road.”

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...passing-277213
Old September 12th 20, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Saturday, 12 September 2020 17:46:54 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

This video showed a motor vehicle operator breaking the law and is therefore fake.

Old September 13th 20, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 5:52:18 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

It all depends on whether Essex police considers it genuine or fake.
Old September 13th 20, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 12/09/2020 17:46, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

It *does* look as though the van's driver misjudged the distances and
the relative speeds as a result of perhaps not paying enough attention
and exhibiting enough caution.

The idea, though, that he would do it deliberately, is absolutely
laughable, especially given the inevitable aftermath of any collision,
however slight, in such a position.
Old September 13th 20, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 14:21:37 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Who was in charge of the vehicle?
Old September 13th 20, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 13/09/2020 15:18, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Which vehicle?

The bicycle?

I have no way of knowing who was in charge of that, or of the van.

Do you?

And why does it matter to you?
Old September 13th 20, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 17:37:41 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Obviously the van drove itself dangerously.
Old September 13th 20, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 13/09/2020 17:44, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Are you still unable to read?