DIY TIRE REMOVAL IMPROVEMENT

Old December 26th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default DIY TIRE REMOVAL IMPROVEMENT

While organizing a utube instructional on chain cleaning, tire
removal, I arrived at an improvement to the DIY Tire Removal method.
Holding wheel on lap, depressing tire bead’s with thumb and fingers,
hooking one or two levers into the bead/rim away from you and lifting
THEN using the lever’s hook fastening the levers to wheel.
Attach a nylon/polypro loop around your belt and the rim at your belt
closing the loop with

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CE0Q9QEwCQ

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDAQ9QEwAQ

Then work the tire/bead toward the opposite wheel side where the
levers are fastened.
Lube the bead ahead of the levers with some Teflon wax dry lube or
silicone, insert and work bead off rim.

In synchronicity with:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/ma....html?_r=1&hpw

Old December 26th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

In synchronicity with:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/ma....html?_r=1&hpw

"A lot of breakthroughs are born in meditative states, he says, the
mind-set you’re in when alone and driving, for instance..."
Old December 26th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

kolldata wrote:

While organizing a utube instructional on chain cleaning, tire
removal, I arrived at an improvement to the DIY Tire Removal method.
Holding wheel on lap, depressing tire bead's with thumb and fingers,
hooking one or two levers into the bead/rim away from you and
lifting THEN using the lever’s hook fastening the levers to wheel.
Attach a nylon/polypro loop around your belt and the rim at your
belt closing the loop with

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CE0Q9QEwCQ

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDAQ9QEwAQ

This has all the earmarks of explaining how to blow your nose while
riding a bicycle. If you start riding bike in grade school and do
your own tire repairs, the art of changing a tire becomes "second
sense". There should be no adult learning curve. Of course, it's
good to have someone skilled in the art demonstrate it the first time.
I think it's something easily picked up and made part of one's
repertoire.

The method you describe rings of excess complexity. My experience
went from fat clinchers riding to school after which I got into years
of riding tubulars, after which I got back to light weight clinchers.
I think more important is understanding how to patch a tube, that
being where most DIY tire work fails. You may recall that we had a
long thread about that part of tires in this newsgroup.

Then work the tire/bead toward the opposite wheel side where the
levers are fastened.

Lube the bead ahead of the levers with some Teflon wax dry lube or
silicone, insert and work bead off rim.

I have never heard of lubricating tire beads for a tire change. That
seems like a scare tactic and unrealistic complexity. I'm sure Mike
Jacoubowsky could add a bit to that, being an expert in mounting tires
manually, without tools.

In synchronicity with:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/ma....html?_r=1&hpw

Possibly, this item is all a "tongue in cheek" spoof.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old December 26th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

lube works. spray all beads before mounting. Avoid damaging fragile
bead edges. Never force a lever forward.

As to the totality: when I began adult riding with a 1980 700 sports
tourer, I read all available material-in 1996 ? Before the internet
info explosion. NOT ONE TIRE REMOVAL INFORMATIONAL SUGGESTED PLACING
THE LEVER INTO THE BEAD/RIM AWAY THEN HOOKING
and following pressing bead/tire forward around rim.

That movement basic to the removal process. I am told the hooking then
pusning tire toward hooked lever is what everyone does but when I read
and asked pro mechanics no one mentioned this. ?????

Anyway, you missed something.

SORONSON ! what did JB miss ?

Old December 26th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

on the spoofness ? whew.
I camp with the unwashed upper middle class. How's that song go abt
Cpt Kangaroo ?
Knee how ma ?

Old December 26th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...m/media/474021....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...abrics.com/ima....

[...]

Maybe he was talking about truck tires.
Old December 26th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 26, 10:52 am, kolldata wrote:

snip

SORONSON ! what did JB miss ?

Bill, if I fix your buggy computer, will you read my posts, too?

Old December 27th 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Dec 26, 1:26*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:43 am, wrote:

kolldata wrote:
[...]

Maybe he was talking about truck tires.- Hide quoted text -

Continental skin walls on double wall Sun Rims.
difficulty in removing mounting tires is a top ten problem.

try a short cord knotted

the buckles hyperlinked with polypropylene strapping are 21st C belts.
I'm using bright yellow
as:
WHERE THE EXPLETIVE DELETED IS THAT EXPLETIVE DELETED BELT ?

I made several.

fold strap over onto thin bed superglue, press flat with poly bag, sew
when cured.