The Solution to Chain Maintenance Issues and Greasy Pants Legs Seenat Interbike

Old October 25th 15, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default The Solution to Chain Maintenance Issues and Greasy Pants Legs Seen at Interbike

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 09:09:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/23/2015 11:56 PM, John B. wrote:

However, after saying that, I do believe that Velo Orange was designed
to sell "stuff" at a higher price simply for the prestige of having
such "good stuff" on my bike.

Is there any real advantage to having a "genuine leather fender flap"
for $7.00 as opposed to my "cheap re-manufactured rubber" flap cut
from a piece of scrapped auto floor mat?

But then, Velo Orange seems to be a financially viable business and
I'm retired :-(

There's always room at the top of the market. Artisanal bicycle chains
are coming. Watch for it!

Someone already makes a "light weight" chain with little holes in each
outer link AND, you can buy chains in various colors too. :-

(I wonder, does one have colored oil for a colored chain?)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 25th 15, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 17:46:48 -0400, "Bertrand"
wrote:

There's always room at the top of the market. Artisanal bicycle chains
are coming. Watch for it!

http://www.ceramicspeed.com/sport/products/Chains

But the instructions say that after 200 miles/320 Km. the magic all
wears off and apparently it becomes just an ordinary chain :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 25th 15, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/24/2015 6:01 PM, Jakob Krieger wrote:
- Frank Krygowski / Sun, 25 Oct 2015 00:47:04 +0200

I recently gave a pair of those ancient wing nuts to a
friend who is
just getting into cycling, and whose bike doesn't have
quick release
axles. They allow her to get her bike into her car trunk.

I didn't realize they were collector's items. I'll have
to let her
know, so I get more thanks.

Well, there are the beautiful ones from the 1950s which are
real collectors' items.

Rarely, almost similar items were sold until the 1970s
(but no more the beautiful ones with rounded edges).

My post was meant to tell that those threads were not M10x1.0 -
no need to ridicule me, Sir.

jk

You are correct, Mr Krieger. The classic wingnuts are
m9.5x1.0 rear and m8x1.0 front. Sturmey Archer,
Bayliss-Wylie etc are British thread. I don't recall any in
m10x1.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 25th 15, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/24/2015 9:54 PM, John B. wrote:

Someone already makes a "light weight" chain with little holes in each
outer link AND, you can buy chains in various colors too. :-

(I wonder, does one have colored oil for a colored chain?)

You use the coffee scented chain lubricant.
http://teamjva.com/portfolio/detail/cafe-dumonde-tech/

Old October 25th 15, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

[...]

My mistake. I'm guessing, though, that generic looking wingnuts in
M9.5x1.0 are *really* not available. In other words part of the price
of a $50 set of wingnuts is just that they're a very specialized product.

Old October 25th 15, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/23/2015 8:56 PM, John B. wrote:

However, after saying that, I do believe that Velo Orange was designed
to sell "stuff" at a higher price simply for the prestige of having
such "good stuff" on my bike.

Is there any real advantage to having a "genuine leather fender flap"
for $7.00 as opposed to my "cheap re-manufactured rubber" flap cut
from a piece of scrapped auto floor mat?

But then, Velo Orange seems to be a financially viable business and
I'm retired :-(

I have found stuff at Velo Orange that I otherwise would have had to
order from outside the U.S.. Sometimes ordering from the U.K. is
cheaper, even with the shipping.

Old October 25th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Jakob Krieger wrote:

:So, if you want to re-do an old bike with wingnuts,
:you must get original wingnuts for bikes.

:If you know somebody in 'old Europe' (me for example),
:you might ask for search in a nearby used-parts shop.

Or you can buy a new set from velo orange.

--
sig 68
Old October 25th 15, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/25/2015 4:01 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Jakob Krieger wrote:

:So, if you want to re-do an old bike with wingnuts,
:you must get original wingnuts for bikes.

:If you know somebody in 'old Europe' (me for example),
:you might ask for search in a nearby used-parts shop.

Or you can buy a new set from velo orange.

Which would work if you rebuilt the classic era hubs with
modern axles.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/HURET-LUXE-CH...VnN2 pm0Uysgg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Weasels up their pants legs Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 15 August 13th 09 02:16 AM
Chain Issues Paulo Matos UK 6 July 23rd 07 12:22 PM
Truvativ Touro + 8 spd chain...rub issues? landotter Techniques 4 March 8th 06 01:51 PM
Pants & Dirty Chain Ron Hardin General 6 December 14th 04 02:18 PM
Looking for "Chain-slap" solution... Dan Volker Mountain Biking 124 April 13th 04 06:24 AM