On its way

Old January 30th 07, 02:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Default On its way

Scott Gordo wrote:

On Jan 29, 12:39 am, "G.T." wrote:
Carla A-G wrote:
On Jan 19, 3:21 pm, "JD" wrote:
MattCheese eatin' surrender monkeys! My first road bike was a SCHWINN
VARSITY, made in CHICAGO, USA.
JD heavy metal
I had a hand me down Schwinn road bike that my gave me in the 80's, it
was WAY, WAY too big for me, but that was my means of transportation
at the time. Then I learned my lesson and bought a Bianchi roadie,
nothing like a vintage Italian steel bike to get you from place to
place...I still have the frame in storage somewhere...My Motobecane showed at my new place even before I did. The thing looks

absolutely unused. Not a scratch, has the original toe clips and
straps, has the original 26 years old tires that may be usable, I'll see
when I pump them up, all the reflectors are still on it, the original
Hutchinson pleather bar wrap is in perfect condition, the brake pads are
100%, it looks like this thing just came off the floor of the LBS except
for the spiderwebs.

I'll have my fix before next weekend.

Gregr

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Magnifique!

Picked up a lugged tandem this weekend. 700c touring wheels, indexed
Sachs thumbies, 18 speeds (3x6), Stronglight cranks, straight bars.
The sole identifier is a small tubing sticker that says "Gitane
Hyperlite". I'm not an expert on the French stuff, so I don't know if
that means it's a Gitane or if other companies used the same tubes or
what. I haven't taken a close look at the dropouts yet to look for a
stamp, nor have I found the serial number yet. The guy I bought it
from worked at a Ross office in Long Island a while back and received
it as a sample but didn't have any further info on it.

It's got that late-80's paint -- white base with some black splatter.
The brakes are sorta interesting. There are front and rear cantilevers
(gah!), plus a rear drum. Pulling the front brake lever pulls two
cables, activating both the front brake and the rear drum, with the
rear cantilever acting as insurance. New one on me.

And, yes, it has a horizontal rear dropout.

I'm going to have to get some 700x40's and some new chains on this
puppy for a shakedown. It could also use a bath after 20 or so years
of shed-must.

Tandems are cool. Got a stoker?
My wife and I rode a lot together, but getting a tandem was a new
experience. Our most notorious moment was the shouting match off the
bike at the summit of Wolf Creek Pass during the '91 Ride the Rockies
(your standard "Asshole!" "Bitch" discussion". We'll always remember
that one, I'm sure lots of people riding by will too. We got over it.
The next day was an epic ride taking turns with another tandem while at
least a dozen singles drafted us. :-)
Enjoy!

Shawn
Old January 30th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Jan 29, 9:49 pm, Shawn
wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

On Jan 29, 12:39 am, "G.T." wrote:
Carla A-G wrote:
On Jan 19, 3:21 pm, "JD" wrote:
[...]

Shawn- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

This is our second, actually. We've got a 50's Schwinn single speed as
well that's stupid fun. My GF used to hate it when I'd bring home more
bikes, but that tandem gave her the fever. She lights up whenever she
talks about it, and gets all chirpy and singy when we're on it. From
little kids to uber-sophisticated urbanites to the local junkies,
everybody cracks a smile when we pass. It's comedy.

We actually brought TWO tandems home from Long Island on Saturday (on
a trunk rack -- I felt like we'd gone hunting and had two bucks
strapped across the hood) but gave one to some friends of ours who
just got hitched. We're going to start a club. Tandems are going to be
the new fixies, you'll see.

Outside of the apartment, it's probably the most agreeable thing we do
as a couple.

/s